IGNORED

New East End

Guest DanC

New East End  

95 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I agree with replacing the east end but not with that design. We need a modern stand that can also make noise (And lots of it).
Well it's all gone quiet on the redevelopment on the EE, But this is the design the club have permission for.

It's not very often clubs replace stands and I feel the opportunity isn't being taken to make this stand the best it can be. The club don't seem to want to budge from this design but hopefully with abit of fan pressure they can have a re-think.

I would describe this design as unimaginative.

I can't see the point of building a single tier to replace a single tier at a cost of £7/8m in order that about 700/800 more fans can go in there when it's full........and when's that?

Lots of thought required and loads of ifs & buts-whatever the design the fans should have a decent input and surely money could be saved if we came up with a design that, even at a later stage, could incorporate safe standing.

I can't see the point of building a single tier to replace a single tier at a cost of £7/8m in order that about 700/800 more fans can go in there when it's full........and when's that?

Lots of thought required and loads of ifs & buts-whatever the design the fans should have a decent input and surely money could be saved if we came up with a design that, even at a later stage, could incorporate safe standing.

This design cannot incorporate safe standing due the boxes at the rear of the stand and their sight line. Wolves will highlight that as the stand there City fans will be will have boxes and there is areal zero tolerance operated by Stewards.

STOP CITY STOP!!! think & listen please...

The proposed stand (as illustrated in this thread) is:

Uninspiring.

Bland.

Soulless.

Anonymous.

Characterless.

Identikit/Legolike.

Its like so many other expensive nothingness stands that have popped up all over the place in recent times... & ITS HORRIBLE!

Other clubs have gone down the route of building soulless out of town stadiums away from their spiritual traditional homes... often losing so much of themselves along the way.... Fortunately WE aren't doing that, WE have a fantastic home right where it should be -in the heart of Bristol. (I suspect many fans & clubs up & down the Country secretly envy us that fact!).

We should make the most of our traditional home of Ashton Gate & while redeveloping take into account the opportunity we have to enhance its qualities, and emphasise its increasing uniqueness among football stadia in Britain.

Make it a place that Bristol City & its fans are proud to call home & which visiting clubs & fans get teary-eyed about when forced to remember what they have given up in their rush to keep up & do what everyone else was doing.

The new stand & future improvements at AG should dare to be different, should incorporate something special, something unique, something that says.........

ASHTON GATE -Proud To Be Different...Proud of Tradition- HOME OF BRISTOL CITY FC!

So lets use a bit of imagination.. Why go down the Identi-Kit route? .. theres no real reason that Our New Stand cant perform all that the Club requires of it & be uniquely special - Lets make a Stand but Lets Make a Statement too!!!

ps... I voted AGAINST the proposed design in the fans opinion poll - incase anyones wondering!.. :)

STOP CITY STOP!!! think & listen please...

The proposed stand (as illustrated in this thread) is:

Uninspiring.

Bland.

Soulless.

Anonymous.

Characterless.

Identikit/Legolike.

Its like so many other expensive nothingness stands that have popped up all over the place in recent times... & ITS HORRIBLE!

Other clubs have gone down the route of building soulless out of town stadiums away from their spiritual traditional homes... often losing so much of themselves along the way.... Fortunately WE aren't doing that, WE have a fantastic home right where it should be -in the heart of Bristol. (I suspect many fans & clubs up & down the Country secretly envy us that fact!).

We should make the most of our traditional home of Ashton Gate & while redeveloping take into account the opportunity we have to enhance its qualities, and emphasise its increasing uniqueness among football stadia in Britain.

Make it a place that Bristol City & its fans are proud to call home & which visiting clubs & fans get teary-eyed about when forced to remember what they have given up in their rush to keep up & do what everyone else was doing.

The new stand & future improvements at AG should dare to be different, should incorporate something special, something unique, something that says.........

ASHTON GATE -Proud To Be Different...Proud of Tradition- HOME OF BRISTOL CITY FC!

So lets use a bit of imagination.. Why go down the Identi-Kit route? .. theres no real reason that Our New Stand cant perform all that the Club requires of it & be uniquely special - Lets make a Stand but Lets Make a Statement too!!!

ps... I voted AGAINST the proposed design in the fans opinion poll - incase anyones wondering!.. :)

Great post. Hope the club listen to you

2007100400240916.jpg

Don't know where this pic came from or if its even possible but this is DEFINITELY the sort of thing we should be looking at

Why do some fans think it is worthwhile?
I think some have looked at it and think it's better than what is there currently. Which yes it possibly is. However what they are missing is the fact that there is a chance to make the stand even better than what they have planned. The chance is there build a stand that we can all be proud to call our home end. Why settle for a stand that is slightly better that what we have currently when we could have even better?

I think some have looked at it and think it's better than what is there currently. Which yes it possibly is. However what they are missing is the fact that there is a chance to make the stand even better than what they have planned. The chance is there build a stand that we can all be proud to call our home end. Why settle for a stand that is slightly better that what we have currently when we could have even better?

Simple informed choice would help but the thing is sketchy, really sketchy and City could end up paying for it for a decade.

Similar and for me superior could be built for much less.

the thing is, when people see a one tier stand as a new design they think bland, soulless, lego like and everything else that has been used to describe this design.

it seems that most people want to see a great big singing and dancing two tiered, modern looking stand.

now someone try and argue with me and say they would rather that over a massive one tier stand that generates atmospheres like the kop at anfield. the kop is such a legendary stand in football, and at some point id like to think that we could have people say "aww we gotta go to ashton gate next week with that bloody east end ranting and raving all game long. how we guna compete with that?"

the new ground design for stanley park which liverpool have designed is supposed to be one of the most modern stadiums around. 2 tiers all the way around and all the rest of it EXCEPT for what will be the newly designed kop, which is going to be purposely built into a one tier stand.

one tier stands help to generate noise as it keeps the fans all together, whereas tiers seems to split the fans up. there are two reasons for building stands with tiers: 1 is to save room. grounds like qpr, millwall, or the stand behind the goal at southend etc etc etc. we don't need that as there is plenty of room behind the current east end with the car park. the other use is to incorpate boxes. well weve got the current williams stand for that, and if they decide to redevelop that then they can put tiers in there all they like. that really will look the part.

the south bank at wolves has got to be one of the best stands i have seen as far as noise goes, because until we scored that is probably the loudest and most daunting ive ever visited. thats what i want at city!

anyone who goes in the atyeo every game; imagine youre an away fan and you see one huge stand taller than the dolman staring back at you. how intimidating would that be. sounds awesome to me...

I agree with agree wity a great deal of your post.

It would not be possible to build a stand larger than the Dolman in place of the Dolman due to the close proximity of Raynes road something around 6500 seats is feasible though. Having a large stand behind the goal such as that at Pittordrie can look very overbearing.

Two tier stands are normally built because of the need for several floors to house multi use facilities like function rooms, kitchens etc and they often use more space not less because the function of the design is not primarily associated with watching the game.

The taller the stand would generally mean sound is lost as there is large space for sound to escape upwards rather than being caught and pushed outwards. The South bank as good as it was would benefit even more from the roof being sloped downwards and the ends of the stand being blocked off so sound is pushed through a smaller space. Something similar would be possible at Ashton Gate if the intended design for the new East End did not include boxes.

Archived