IGNORED

Back From England

Porkopolis

I was in England last month to sing at Wells Cathedral and had a tremendous experience. It was my first time visiting a country other than the US, Mexico or Canada. I got to spend a morning in Bristol, and of course my favorite part was visiting Ashton Gate. The team were leaving for a match and I had the good fortune to run into some of the players as they were milling about. They were all friendly and had much more approachability than athletes here in the US. I was stunned when club officials let me wander into the ground--with permission!--and hang about as long as I wanted. That would NEVER happen here in the states. I got to go in the dugouts and roam around, but of course wasn't allowed on the pitch. I later toured the Emirates (VERY impressive) but it doesn't have nearly the feel or history of Ashton Gate. I've cheered on the Gunners since I was a child, but City has pulled up level beside them in my heart. OK, maybe City have pulled a little above them!

Bristol is a lovely city that you should be very proud of. The west country in general was my favorite part of England. Bristol felt very much like the city I live in here in the states and I immediately felt at home. I've already had a chance to catch a few of this year's City matches on Setanta and can't wait for more.

Glad you enjoyed your time in the West Country. The West Country is truly a great place to live. What more it has Bristol City Cider and The Wurzels. I really wouldn't want to live any any other part of the country.

Archived