IGNORED

Are Bristol City Proud Of Their Great History?

greenun

...centenary of one of City's greatest ever achievements?

On 24th April 1909, City made their one and only appearance (to date) in the FA Cup Final, losing 1-0 to Manchester United. These were halcyon days for a City side that enjoyed five seasons in the top-flight, from 1906-07, when they finished runners-up to Newcastle United, through to relegation in 1910-11.

How would forum users feel about lobbying the club, to see if they are open to asking Manchester United to play City in a commemorative match? Hypothetically speaking, any proposed fixture would probably have to take place a month or so following the anniversary in order for United to contribute a first 11.

Gate receipts from a guaranteed full house could benefit one, or several worthwhile charities.

What do you lot think?

For any of you going to preston on saturday, in the football museum there (well worth a prematch walk around) on the 2nd or 3rd floor is history of different trophies, and there is a photo up there of the bristol city team and the man utd one aswell i think, with a little write up about it. i'll have to have a look for my pic of it i took when i was up there last season and post it.

Edit: here they are of the city team, not too great qaulity, shame i didnt think to take one of all of it.

DSCF1541.jpg

DSCF1542.jpg

...centenary of one of City's greatest ever achievements?

On 24th April 1909, City made their one and only appearance (to date) in the FA Cup Final, losing 1-0 to Manchester United. These were halcyon days for a City side that enjoyed five seasons in the top-flight, from 1906-07, when they finished runners-up to Newcastle United, through to relegation in 1910-11.

How would forum users feel about lobbying the club, to see if they are open to asking Manchester United to play City in a commemorative match? Hypothetically speaking, any proposed fixture would probably have to take place a month or so following the anniversary in order for United to contribute a first 11.

Gate receipts from a guaranteed full house could benefit one, or several worthwhile charities.

What do you lot think?

Sound good, but would Man Utd be prepared to play a fellow Premiership team in a pre season friendly in 2009?...... :innocent06:

Since April 24th, 2009 will be my 40th birthday (exactly), I think it's a fantastic idea...!!! I might even be tempted to fly back to England and celebrate my birthday in style if this match were to happen...!!!

Trouble is, it would be at the "business end" of the season, with promotion/relegation, Premiership deciders, Champions League Finals, etc, so would be incredibly difficult to pull off, unless Man Utd are knocked out of everything by February and both clubs are mid-table. It would be more likely to take place during pre-season 2009-2010.

I'd take promotion to the Premiership on Saturday, April 25th, 2009 instead though!!!

...they won it,

- winners get to choose,

I reckon Man U, if interested, would wanna play it at Old Trafford...

could we really be bothered to travel all the way up to Manchester for a friendly??? ... :laugh:... :)

(hows about a friendly rematch at Wembley - we're a big club now - & it'd create more interest than the Charity Shield)

wonder if The Wurzels would be available for the half time entertainment?

Since April 24th, 2009 will be my 40th birthday (exactly), I think it's a fantastic idea...!!! I might even be tempted to fly back to England and celebrate my birthday in style if this match were to happen...!!!

Trouble is, it would be at the "business end" of the season, with promotion/relegation, Premiership deciders, Champions League Finals, etc, so would be incredibly difficult to pull off, unless Man Utd are knocked out of everything by February and both clubs are mid-table. It would be more likely to take place during pre-season 2009-2010.

I'd take promotion to the Premiership on Saturday, April 25th, 2009 instead though!!!

Hypothetically speaking, any proposed fixture would probably have to take place a month or so following the anniversary in order for United to contribute a first 11.

Man Utd may be keen on that idea as well. It was because of that win in 1909 that Old Trafford was built.

When Man U celebrated their first ever promotion to Division 1, as runners-up in season 1905-06, guess which team beat them to the Second Division championship?

...........oh, you've guessed it already.

not us because we finished runners up of the old first divion behind newcastle.

Actually, it was City and it was the following season 1906-07 that we finished runners-up to the Geordies.

See: http://www.bcfc.co.uk/page/Records/0,,10327~63412,00.html

And a League Table that should be framed in 50 carat gold:

http://www.soccerbase.com/league2.sd?compe...amp;seasonid=35

Red Ferrett

Conversation aside that avatar you got of two kids dancing is soooooo funny. Got my office laughing.!

The kiddy with glasses could be Jimmy Hills geek love child!

Where did you find it?

Oh and as for City Man UTD would be good with so much linked to the fixture from the past but it wouldn't go ahead and even if it did Fergie would play a second string.

Anyway we did it before and Drew 3-3 at Ashton Gate. keane and Bruce played on that day! anyone else remember it. We were 3-0 down too. UTD hit the bar at the EAST END at 3-3 to. man UTD PLayed in that Dark Blue kit that looked like it had newspaper pictures all within the texture.

That was a utd second team back then too.

Man Utd may be keen on that idea as well. It was because of that win in 1909 that Old Trafford was built.

It was certainly a turning point for United and because that FA cup final win was their first, it also gives them cause to celebrate the centenary on 24th April 2009. Just think how many charities could benefit.

Archived