IGNORED

Today's Ref And The Physical Side Of The Game

nester

Thought the ref had a good game although there were one or two around me who were saying he should be playing in white. Preston were a tougher harder team than us and he let that go which I think is good, although I still think we had a penalty shout or two :disapointed2se:

Thought the ref had a good game although there were one or two around me who were saying he should be playing in white. Preston were a tougher harder team than us and he let that go which I think is good, although I still think we had a penalty shout or two :disapointed2se:

I thought the ref was having a good game until about an hour into the game when he started penalising everything by us and allowing PNE to get away with exactly the same.

Note who the bookings were. All City and no PNE if I remember correctly!

I thought the ref was having a good game until about an hour into the game when he started penalising everything by us and allowing PNE to get away with exactly the same.

Note who the bookings were. All City and no PNE if I remember correctly!

Yeh i didnt think he was too bad, but nearer the end of the second half Orr was getting pulled all over the place by Matty Hill from a corner + nothing was done! Happened again soon after + the ref blatently saw the shirt pulling a wave his hands to say no foul!

Basso Great handling totally in control

Orr Strong in all areas some surging runs

Carey Faultless, Captain marvel

Fontaine Excellent read the game really well

McAllister Terrible first 15 mins then settled down well

Wilson Ineffective generally

Johnson A little sloppy at times some decisive passing later

Elliott a bundle of energy more effective defensively

Mcindoe Worked hard erratic end product at times

Trundle Contributed very little no threat, one classically shocking free kick

Sproule Woefully out of position contributed nothing

Byfield Good, again made an impact

Murray Worried their defence also pressing for a start

As for the ref, thought he was ok and being a fellow ref the pushing in the box can be a controversial decision to give so if in doubt play safe and give nothing.

As for the ref, thought he was ok and being a fellow ref the pushing in the box can be a controversial decision to give so if in doubt play safe and give nothing.

Yeah i'd agree with your comments about the players, both of the front two especially sproule just got knocked off the ball too easily, Trundles free kick was comical! Was he thinking the wall was going to jump? Even then i don't think it would have had enough power to reach the goal!

I think you've summed that up very well. McAllister started the game woefully, but did well especially second half.

Trundles free kick was embarrassing to watch, his Missus had a look of total shock on her face after it!!

I've never seen a million pound footballer address the ball like that. He ws straight on, trying to curl it with the instep not the ball of his foot. It was almost as if he was supposed to step over it but changed his mind at the last second! Very strange, and he was rightly pulled off(!) after that. Shocker. :noexpression:

I thought the Referee was on our side for most of the game. Especially when he turned down a quite legitimate penalty shout at the beginning of the first half for when the ball hit Louis Carey's arm in our penalty area !!!!!! :winner_third_h4h:

In the first 5 minutes: how the hell did that Preston player miss what was an open goal from 2 yards ??!!! :winner_third_h4h:

Did we lose?

Burnley were a strong physical side last week and so were not so proud Preston today. We matched both those sides and weren't rumbled by their physical presence. I'm well pleased with our 14 points from 8 Championship league games so far. :icecream:

We are unbeatable !!!!!!!!!

The point is we defended well and as long as we can keep that up away from home the attacking play will sort itself out. I thought we'd gelled properly until before today but without being to negative It seems the defence win all the balls in the air and besides marvelous and Byfield the midfield and attack arent too much of an aireal threat up front, other than that were doing magnificently for a side that has only returned to the division this year and its great to see people are understanding what a great position were in and refraining from giving the team a slating for things not going fantsastically.

Shame the sags don't have anything on us now.

then answer my previous question

I should not speak for others but the poster is probably making the point that whilst Orr, Carey, Elliott and maybe Fontaine are up for a physical scrap with anyone perhaps we have a more lightweight edge to the rest of our team. It doesn't mean they don't work hard (because that is the one thing we always do as a team) but perhaps the likes of Johnson, Wilson, McIndoe, Sproule etc. are not the type of players who are going kick the opposition over row Z in a 50/50 challenge when the occasion merits it whereas Preston maybe had more of those types in their line-up!!

Agree with most of that except Fontaines positional play was poor at times, and needed others to bail him out. Steadily improved though as the game progressed.

How can we have not matched the physical side of the game and not lost, explain

In a lot of challenges, when it came down to physical strength (players leaning on each other etc) our players lost THOSE type of challenges. That was the point I was making. We didn't lose, correct ... but we were elbowed-out of a lot of challenges.

I wonder if better upper-body strength is a part of the CCC game.

How can we have not matched the physical side of the game and not lost, explain

I think this has been answered and is quite self-explanatory. You don't have to have a physical edge to beat someone :noexpression:

Well i've never heard Hansen or any other pundit, say 'they did'nt match the physical side' to a nil-nil draw

Huh? Why is that relevent?!

The point is that overall, we at least matched them, though arguably they were more of a physical team.

Archived