IGNORED

When Do Aspirations Change?

Matty H

Come the end of this weekend we will be almost one quarter of the way into The Championship Season. My question is, when do you personally stop treating every point we win as a point closer to safety? At what stage do you start to look at this season in a different light and start nervously glancing at the top half a dozen places in the division?

We have started far better tham many of us could have ever hoped for. Gary says the run can be no fluke given its consistency. I agree with him, but still feel, at the moment, that every point gained is a point to keep us in this division. The longer this goes on there will come a time when I subconsciously turn my attentions to a higher plain. I cannot put my finger on when this happens. For me it is not a numerical thing. It is not after 'x' number of games or 'x' number of points. For me it is gut instinct. What is it for you and how do you feel right now (apart from pretty happy, obviously)

Come the end of this weekend we will be almost one quarter of the way into The Championship Season. My question is, when do you personally stop treating every point we win as a point closer to safety? At what stage do you start to look at this season in a different light and start nervously glancing at the top half a dozen places in the division?

We have started far better tham many of us could have ever hoped for. Gary says the run can be no fluke given its consistency. I agree with him, but still feel, at the moment, that every point gained is a point to keep us in this division. The longer this goes on there will come a time when I subconsciously turn my attentions to a higher plain. I cannot put my finger on when this happens. For me it is not a numerical thing. It is not after 'x' number of games or 'x' number of points. For me it is gut instinct. What is it for you and how do you feel right now (apart from pretty happy, obviously)

Good topic. I personally will use GJ's view of progress which is after 10 games. Not only does this stop knee jerk reactions (which is far too evident on this board), but helpfully it will be after Sheffield United come to the Gate. If we can grab two wins in the next two games, we will then have to start to believe we could sustain this excellent start. 1 or 2 points from these games, and we'll still have to look below us nervously.

We still have to add a bit more quality to our play, but the spirit workrate and commitment that we show will shorly see us to safety. In my opinion, the only way we'll get dragged down is if GJ gets poached by a top club.

Personally I am not worried about relegation at all, Never have been. I have belief in this squad and management.

For me I am just enjoying the ride. And long may this ride continue.

I am optimistic and feel we can finish anywhere between mid table and the play offs.

agree with gaff......good point and good topic, different than the norm.

Personally all that matters this season is staying up, whether it be 20th or 7th, I'd take 20th right now, as it is a platform to build on in this league, however the sooner we get to 50 points the happier I will be, that will be enough to keep us up, anything on top of that will be a bonus, if come easter we still stand a mathematic chance of hitting the play-offs then this can be called an OUTSTANDING SUCCESS OF A SEASON.

50 points is what matters though, we may be 4th now, but it count's for nothing really, worth remembering a few years back Millwall were top of this league at xmas and ended up going down!

Aspirations before the season were a top ten finish, maybe a playoff place..

..still feel exactly the same.

agree with gaff......good point and good topic, different than the norm.

Personally all that matters this season is staying up, whether it be 20th or 7th, I'd take 20th right now, as it is a platform to build on in this league, however the sooner we get to 50 points the happier I will be, that will be enough to keep us up, anything on top of that will be a bonus, if come easter we still stand a mathematic chance of hitting the play-offs then this can be called an OUTSTANDING SUCCESS OF A SEASON.

50 points is what matters though, we may be 4th now, but it count's for nothing really, worth remembering a few years back Millwall were top of this league at xmas and ended up going down!

Good Topic and some good points...

I'm a fundamentalist...I always think City can win

However I don't think work rate and commitment will get us up, although it will probably be enough to keep us up.

The tide will turn and people will believe we can go top six when and IF we add just a little bit more quality in the final third and when in possesion generally.

We have the players with the ability it is just a matter of them really gelling and getting on the same wave length...If we as supporters keep behind them don't keep pointing out the obvious faults (especially on here) and keep the tempo high on the terraces and the field, you have got to believe we can go top six...Believe.....

My aspirations haven't changed, any side in the top half of the league by xmas (which is where i thought we would be) would only need to put a run together and would be pushing for a play-off place, from what the players have said in interviews they believed at the start of the season they can make the play-offs and so do i.

I think the point I'll start thinking what this season can deliver is the day we clock 50 points!

If that happens before say, middle/end of Febuary, then realistically we've got to start looking to finish in the top half.

I think its far too early to start worrying about our position be that up or down. We're all just enjoying the moment.

I swear I still look at the League One table in the newspaper to see where we are and then smile to myself and move my finger up the page to the Championship table :D !

I've a good mate who's a Norwich fan. We absolutely must not lose to them otherwise I'm just going with the flow.

Having said all that, I have started looking out for Watford, Charlton and WBA results. ;)

Guest Garfunkle

after ten years of watching teams full of nobodies coming down the gate I'm enjoying watching teams that come down and you know who most of their team are - like this week we get to see james beattie, last weekk it was phillips. players to come:

sheringham

fowler

hasselbaink

okocha

etc, etc, even more enjoyable when we r playing well and getting results! just enjoy it while it lasts, after last time in this league, when i didnt make the most of it for obvious reasons, it is good to enjoy it again!

I must agree with the guy that said 50 points and ill start thinking further on. The sooner we get those points the better then the team the fans the club can relax a bit and from there who knows. The target for any promoted team is consolidation in there first year in a higher division once that saftey point is reached then dreams ambitions can be raised and aimed for. The start weve had is down to bloody hard work and a touch of luck if that luck could be turned into quality in the final third then hell yea the play offs could well be possible!

Great topic.

Gaffer's view is the same as mine. Looking at our results every ten games as GJ does is a really good way of approaching this season. We are only four points short of having the same total after ten games this year as we'd managed last year, and even if we don't pick up a single point over the next two games the team and management deserve a lot of credit. We also have a 14 day break after Sheffield United (our 10th game) which will set us up nicely for the next batch of 10 matches. It's like having a mini preseason to recharge the batteries!

I think after the second batch of ten games we'll have a clearer idea of what sort of season we can expect. It'll take us up to december 4th (Ipswich home) and includes some difficult home matches (Charlton, Southampton) and VERY difficult away ties (Wolves, Watford & a midweek one versus Hull). At that point if we still look like playoff conteneders/title challengers we'll not be too far from the transfer window and might be in a position to decide on a push for the 'Promised Land' and invest some cash towards that aim. But before this point it will be hard to say what the outcome of this season might be i.e. relegation dogfight, promotion charge or nice comfortable midtable snooze.

after ten years of watching teams full of nobodies coming down the gate I'm enjoying watching teams that come down and you know who most of their team are - like this week we get to see james beattie, last weekk it was phillips. players to come:

sheringham

fowler

hasselbaink

okocha

etc, etc, even more enjoyable when we r playing well and getting results! just enjoy it while it lasts, after last time in this league, when i didnt make the most of it for obvious reasons, it is good to enjoy it again!

So watching 'were once' players then?

I started feeling confident that we will survive in this league, and definately finish at least top ten when we beat Coventry away 3-0. At that time Coventry were flying and sitting pretty at the top of the table, and we gave them a football lesson. Since then the home draw with WBA (a team with genuine prem credentials) has meant we can throw away any fear of failure and just enjoy the season. I also feel that if we can get 4 pts in next 2 games, then we should aim to remain a top six club.

Another interesting question would be: what will Steve Lansdown do if we're in the top 6 come January?

If we were in the top 6 of league one in January you can bet this forum would be calling for heavy investment in players to ensure promotion. Question is, does that hold true for our first season in the Championship, and how much would you, or Steve Lansdown, be prepared to gamble?

For me, I'd say investing another couple of million could be worth a punt as the rewards are potentially huge. Not unless we're mathematically safe, though, otherwise it's too big a gamble.

I agree with a couple of posters who have said that we must hit 50 points first and see how many matches we have left (hopefully!). If we can hit 50 points with a dozen (or more!) matches left then who knows where we might end up. But that is a big IF. As Johnson has said, our start has put us in credit and it may well turn out that some of the points we didn't necessarily expect to get (Coventry, West Brom and Sheffield Wednesday??) will be needed at the end of the season. I would have settled for a dozen points after 10 matches when the season started. As it is we are guaranteed between 14 and 20. 14 would represent a decent start and 20 would be an unbelievable start.

Archived