IGNORED

Three Tykes And Out - It's Hell At Oakwell

Blagdon red

Guest Garfunkle
Bristol Boy's match review and ratings:

Hell at Oakwell

wasnt at the game but find it strange how we conceded 3 goals and the keeper and full backs got 7/10 and the 2 centre halfs got 8/10, maybe a strong indicator that the midfield isnt strong enough?

wasnt at the game but find it strange how we conceded 3 goals and the keeper and full backs got 7/10 and the 2 centre halfs got 8/10, maybe a strong indicator that the midfield isnt strong enough?

You just answered your own query.

BB just about got all the bases covered with that report. Nice one. If anything he`s held himself back a bit. TBH without some fresh ideas on tactics/formations it will be a tough season. Forget all the talk of playoffs.

Nice to see BoomBoom in the crowd last night. Worryingly though how do we get him back in the side. It would be harsh to drop anyone, namely Fontaine.

PDG

As the Barnsley fan said, I wouldn't fault Basso for any of the three goals and we were chasing the game when goal three went in.

Our defence kept us in it in the first half and for a part of the second and Basso made a great save diving low to his right to stop Howard after about five or six minutes.Carey, I think, blocked another shot from Howard, twelve yards out and from point blank range as he got in the box again!

Barnsley's strikers didn't really cause to many problems but we were, once again, wretched in midfield and, for a change, we didn't defend well as a team unit.Our wide players didn't get enough of the ball and when they got it, they didn't perform.

Add to that, our luck ran out.

So it was a combination of those things not mistakes or poor play by defenders that caused the problems.

Agree with everythign except the ratings for teh strikers. Byfield won most if not all of his headers, ran around all game and helped out in defence. Did everything but score and that was due to lack of creativity as you've mentioned.

I'd have given him a 7/10

Trundle = Did nothing, didnt look like he was up for the challenge 3/10

It was going to come in the end you can not rely on the defence week in week out, sometimes we need to defend from the front and this is where it falls on the likes of LT23 etc to put real pressure on the other teams back line.

Still no disaster we knew this day was going to come was a bit taken a back but I still think we can bounce back, massive game on Saturday.

Agree with everythign except the ratings for teh strikers. Byfield won most if not all of his headers, ran around all game and helped out in defence. Did everything but score and that was due to lack of creativity as you've mentioned.

I'd have given him a 7/10

Trundle = Did nothing, didnt look like he was up for the challenge 3/10

So our two strikers with no goals and not an assist between them in two games.

Don't confuse input with output. 6/10 mate, I'm sorry.

And the forwards.

BB's report is almost spot on. I would have marked Byfield up a bit maybe and Trundle definitely lower. He just isnt doing it. He's a quality player, but the day will have to come eventually where enough is enough - I just sincerely hope he starts producing the magic, because he was a dream signing for us.

Our wide players arent providing the service. Murray looks to be an impact player on current form, McIndoe works hard but theres no sparkle, Sproule is a one trick pony - ie fast - and Wilson IMO was very unlucky to be dropped.

In the middle, Elliot is doing all the hard work, he needs help, and theres no creativity.

The defence were good individually and as a unit last night, so it just shows where the problems were.

Cant complain really - we'd have all accepted our first defeat being game 9 before the season started - although we still will complain anyway. From what Ive seen - which is every game - this division isnt all it was cracked up to be and I think we should be rasing our sights a lot higher than they were before the season started.

I'd like to see Skuse and Noble accomodated in the next game, who makes way for them and what formation we play almost doesnt matter.

And the forwards.

BB's report is almost spot on. I would have marked Byfield up a bit maybe and Trundle definitely lower. He just isnt doing it. He's a quality player, but the day will have to come eventually where enough is enough - I just sincerely hope he starts producing the magic, because he was a dream signing for us.

Our wide players arent providing the service. Murray looks to be an impact player on current form, McIndoe works hard but theres no sparkle, Sproule is a one trick pony - ie fast - and Wilson IMO was very unlucky to be dropped.

In the middle, Elliot is doing all the hard work, he needs help, and theres no creativity.

The defence were good individually and as a unit last night, so it just shows where the problems were.

Cant complain really - we'd have all accepted our first defeat being game 9 before the season started - although we still will complain anyway. From what Ive seen - which is every game - this division isnt all it was cracked up to be and I think we should be rasing our sights a lot higher than they were before the season started.

I'd like to see Skuse and Noble accomodated in the next game, who makes way for them and what formation we play almost doesnt matter.

Thanks for that, Nick.

I reckon there's a period of grace when anyone starts a new job and football is no different.

People are already questioning Trundle & Sproule in particular and this nonsense in playing him up front reminds me a bit of Skuse wide left last season & Wilkshire's a right winger, under DW!

The same was said when Betsy arrived and whilst a decent athlete-he ain't a striker and neither's Sproule.I'll give Sproule extra leaway due to the fact that he's been played out of position.

McIndoe's done OK, but no more and certainly if the Wolves fans are right and we paid £400k for him, there's a value for money issue in my eyes.

For our three biggest signings, I reckon they'd struggle to get in our first XI at the moment, with everyone fit.

Let's hope they all improve significantly, starting Saturday and a great deal of that will depend on our midfield,wide players included.

I only see home games so only get a partial view.

I completely agree with the point previously made that we'd have taken this start every time, and remember we only got 13 points away all season the last time we were at this level.

Several players have done very well so far, Carey (brilliant most games), Elliott, Basso plus Orr and Fontaine in particular. McIndoe has done ok for me and Byfield certainly looks a gamble worth taking.

However higher sums get paid by clubs for more attacking players simply because (in GJ's own words) they affect the game more.

From what I've seen Trundle is struggling to adapt to the step up big time, whilst Sproule has done very little of note in the games I've seen.

I'm not panicking, but we got 11 points from our first five games and have picked up only 3 from the last four.

I'm also sure we didn't sign an international centre back to have to put him up front as a sub this regularly, and that's where the biggest problem lies, if Showunmi and Jevons aren't good enough in GJ's opinion then he needs to be thinking of shipping them out on loans to permanent moves, to bring in the 28 year old Wayne Allison or Ade Akinbiyi type that we so obviously lack.

I only see home games so only get a partial view.

Great point because there are a lot of people who do just that and don't realise the difference in the team home & away.

I completely agree with the point previously made that we'd have taken this start every time, and remember we only got 13 points away all season the last time we were at this level.

No problem with our points tally before last nights game however, having put ourselves in credit we should try to stay there as opposed to celebrating the fact that we got there in the first place.We've to many fans with a "we are not worthy, four from bottom will do for me Guv, attitude" and whilst we still need to treat every game as a cup final, we also need to ensure that we don't give our opponents to much respect, whilst not getting big headed or complacent.

Several players have done very well so far, Carey (brilliant most games), Elliott, Basso plus Orr and Fontaine in particular. McIndoe has done ok for me and Byfield certainly looks a gamble worth taking.

Our back five/six, have been super-the front five a major disappointment on the whole.

However higher sums get paid by clubs for more attacking players simply because (in GJ's own words) they affect the game more.

From what I've seen Trundle is struggling to adapt to the step up big time, whilst Sproule has done very little of note in the games I've seen.

I'm not panicking, but we got 11 points from our first five games and have picked up only 3 from the last four.

I think our return on our £1.5-2m paid for the three major signings hasn't been visible on anything like a regular basis whereas Byfield & Elliott have looked great VFM.I think people need to know the difference between panic and constructive criticism.I haven't seen panic, but what I've seen and heard at the games and on here, is a realisation that you believe what you see and not what you're told.

I'm also sure we didn't sign an international centre back to have to put him up front as a sub this regularly, and that's where the biggest problem lies, if Showunmi and Jevons aren't good enough in GJ's opinion then he needs to be thinking of shipping them out on loans to permanent moves, to bring in the 28 year old Wayne Allison or Ade Akinbiyi type that we so obviously lack.

There are three problem areas:

1.Up front we don't hold the ball up and we aren't getting in enough shots or creating chances.Trundle is neither a target man or pacy and that makes it difficult to find a strike partner.ES & SB miss more games than they play of late and it can only be a matter of time before GJ has to bite the bullet and bring two in and ship 2/3 out if they don't become available soon.Byfield & Trundle didn't have a decent shot on target between them last night and I can't remember anything close to a decent effort on or off target against PNE from Sproule or Trundle.

We had one shot in 90 mins at Wednesday, albeit Wilsons' shot won us the game.

2.Service:We're not dominating possession and we do not have a playmaker ala Howard last night who, for me, was the only real difference between the teams.

3.Wide players are not effecting the game either with goals or crosses and, in a squad with six wingers, that's an issue.They rarely hit the byeline so strikers are starved of enough quality crosses.They rarely recieve the ball beween the centra back and full back that put Murray in for so many goals when Tinnion was here so, once again, Service is a major failing.

Correct that and we'll be flying.

Just watched the extended highlights and I must admit that our defenders don't exactly cover themselves with glory either.

Pick of the highlights was McAllisters diving two handed stop from Howard-should have been a pen and a booking/red but we got away with that.

Howard picks the keys up for freedom of the City when the play the home game here and we had more than enough warnings before he actually scored-His unchecked and untracked runs from midfield are nothing short of embarrassing.

Looking at some of the knock downs from Odejayi and the marking fron corners and set pieces, we really need to bring McCombe back pronto.

Just watched the extended highlights and I must admit that our defenders don't exactly cover themselves with glory either.

Pick of the highlights was McAllisters diving two handed stop from Howard-should have been a pen and a booking/red but we got away with that.

Howard picks the keys up for freedom of the City when the play the home game here and we had more than enough warnings before he actually scored-His unchecked and untracked runs from midfield are nothing short of embarrassing.

Looking at some of the knock downs from Odejayi and the marking fron corners and set pieces, we really need to bring McCombe back pronto.

So you want more personnel changes in the side and a formation change that the players havent played after just one defeat in nine, granted we havent played brilliantly but you must understand that chopping a squad up so much after defeat will confuse and dent confidence, we are where we are because of the players belief and hard work, small changes are needed in the pattern of play not big things like a 352 which you suggest.

The players have proved they can live with the very best so far in this league playing 442, some different thinking in the way we play on Saturday by hitting the wings early and better ball retention is needed, not gambling on 352, thats smells of panic to the players when the results are very clear to them that they are doing something right as they were.

We have played some very decent teams away from home and we came up short once, same for the home games and on two occasions we conceded late goals to lose a couple of points each, performances will come in time, far too early to hit the panic button with what you suggest, lets get the team playing first which have brought us a fantastic return on points earned, watch us go then.

So you want more personnel changes in the side and a formation change that the players havent played after just one defeat in nine, granted we havent played brilliantly but you must understand that chopping a squad up so much after defeat will confuse and dent confidence, we are where we are because of the players belief and hard work, small changes are needed in the pattern of play not big things like a 352 which you suggest.

The players have proved they can live with the very best so far in this league playing 442, some different thinking in the way we play on Saturday by hitting the wings early and better ball retention is needed, not gambling on 352, thats smells of panic to the players when the results are very clear to them that they are doing something right as they were.

We have played some very decent teams away from home and we came up short once, same for the home games and on two occasions we conceded late goals to lose a couple of points each, performances will come in time, far too early to hit the panic button with what you suggest, lets get the team playing first which have brought us a fantastic return on points earned, watch us go then.

While i`m not hitting the panic button as such to say we came up short once just isn`t true. We have been EXTREMELY lucky in a few games and sloppy in others. So to say that we can live with the very best in this league is somewhat wide of the mark IMO.

Yes we could carry on as we are but i`m not convinced thats going to do it, only time will tell.

PDG

It won't dent their confidence half as much as losing, only drawing, slipping down the table and seeing out of form players selected.

Whilst I'm as pleased as everyone else with the points tally, that will be wasted if we don't get our best players on the field and stop throwing points away as we did against Burn & QPR.Our last two performances have been very poor especially from a midfield & attacking perspective.

We played bottom teams at the right time in Weds & PNE in particular and, having been there, I can tell you that we should have lost at Weds & Blackpool, PNE could have easily been a defeat, Coventry was a decent defensive performance and we ran out worthy winners, but even that could have easily gone the other way.Barnsley were the better team throughout.

Late goals = sloppy free kicks/corners given away and a lack of aerial dominance (McCombe's 6' 7") and a leader.We've won 1:4 at home.

Panic button?

Bringing back our most creative midfielder, our best defensive one & our player of the season in place of an out of form midfielder and non performing wide players-Not panic, pure common sense.

We played bottom teams at the right time in Weds & PNE in particular and, having been there, I can tell you that we should have lost at Weds & Blackpool, PNE could have easily been a defeat, Coventry was a decent defensive performance and we ran out worthy winners, but even that could have easily gone the other way.Barnsley were the better team throughout.

Late goals = sloppy free kicks/corners given away and a lack of aerial dominance (McCombe's 6' 7") and a leader.We've won 1:4 at home.

Panic button?

Bringing back our most creative midfielder, our best defensive one & our player of the season in place of an out of form midfielder and non performing wide players-Not panic, pure common sense.

In your opinion you forgot to add.

Johnson in my opinion is better than Noble, he's had good and bad games but who doesn't, I'll take Elliott over Skuse and dropping Carey or Fontaine would not be fair given their displays so far. As for our wide players, well Murray has had bit games, Wilson has given us a solid look, Sproule has had a half game in his position and McIndoe has been hot and cold, again imo. nothing wrong here that our training sessions cant sort out, getting the pattern of play right will take time, full backs knowing where and when to go long/short inside or out, given them games together will give them a better understanding of each other.

I'll take your word for it against Preston I wasnt there, I do know that we deserved to draw Blackpool and we got something out of Wednesday because they couldnt hit a cows arse with a banjo, not our fault we looked decent enough defending to earn it. Coventry were top of the league and we did them with a solid display, WBA had quality players all around and we matched them for a good chunk of that game and deserved a point. Burnley was evenly matched and so was our first game game against QPR, we were leading in both and could/should have been 4 points better off, shit happens sometimes.

So no, imo we don't need to change after one terrible result, we stick with that side for another game and work on our pattern of play to get our attacking players more involved in the game, Trundle will score goals so will Byfield, Mcindoe will put in quality crosses, Sproule will roast a left back and carve out opportunities, but they wont if we change systems and personnel after every defeat, new players need to settle in to a side with games under their belt, not sat in the stands, we bought them and we should use them to their strengths, it's a very competitive league and for the majority of the games we have been competitive, giving up now is not the thing to do, we need these players for a tough first full season.

Archived