IGNORED

Special Deals For Stoke And Southampton Games

old_man_terry

Well, first off I think it's quite possible we would get 2,000 extra at lower prices with the correct marketing.

And other than that...

There are 9,600 season ticket holders/prem club members.

There are no POTD sales to the east end (yeah I know folks but it's a different argument) so the 1,200 average away supporters don't get the reduction.

Our average of 14,800, -9,600 - 1200 = 4,000 POTD.

A fiver off prices was what I was suggesting, = £20,000.

That's about 1,000 more a game needed to do more than break even. Entirely realistic I reckon.

There wont be any potd for the east end unless its overflow that was clearly stated last night. The police would rather it be closed than keep it open, however it was suggested that a st holder in the east end could bring a guest with them. Are you suggesting these price reductions as an offer throughout the season then? Remember the club are happy at the moment newly promoted, playing well and getting good away support. Would be good fi they considered any suggestions if we stay in this league another season and crowds don't improve.

Well, first off I think it's quite possible we would get 2,000 extra at lower prices with the correct marketing.

And other than that...

There are 9,600 season ticket holders/prem club members.

There are no POTD sales to the east end (yeah I know folks but it's a different argument) so the 1,200 average away supporters don't get the reduction.

Our average of 14,800, -9,600 - 1200 = 4,000 POTD.

A fiver off prices was what I was suggesting, = £20,000.

That's about 1,000 more a game needed to do more than break even. Entirely realistic I reckon.

It would only a marginal difference but it is there fans in the East End can't take their own families. So why not guests?

Also under sixteen season tickets for the East End were non existent so the stand has virtually no under sixteens [5% maybe] so more scope?

Tickets for Atyeo East End and for x amount of games aligned with season ticket prices.

It would only a marginal difference but it is there fans in the East End can't take their own families. So why not guests?

Also under sixteen season tickets for the East End were non existent so the stand has virtually no under sixteens [5% maybe] so more scope?

Tickets for Atyeo East End and for x amount of games aligned with season ticket prices.

Most places in the ground never offered under 16 season tickets. Ibelieve it was only renewals, Bblock Ateyo and lower Dolman

Problem being you have to offer the same prices to away fans that's all, it makes the number needed to break even a bit bigger.

oh, sorry, thought you meant actual fans, not people that just fancy a day trip to wembley or cardiff?

Well, then I suggest actually reading the post then. I would have thought the phrase "prepared to watch" and the fact that the whole point was to try and persuade them to become fans was a giveaway even for you!

have to say some very interesting comments and views from Steve on this subject in the ST article,

http://www.bristolcityst.org.uk/trust_news...cle000384.shtml

personally some of it is what I've tended to think for a while and people around me tend to agree with, despite the gang of 2 thinking everything is doom and gloom,

I'm off to lunch, I'll get ready for more bullying upon my return

There wont be any potd for the east end unless its overflow that was clearly stated last night. The police would rather it be closed than keep it open, however it was suggested that a st holder in the east end could bring a guest with them. Are you suggesting these price reductions as an offer throughout the season then? Remember the club are happy at the moment newly promoted, playing well and getting good away support. Would be good fi they considered any suggestions if we stay in this league another season and crowds don't improve.

Yes, I'm suggesting the club should kill off the sneaky and downright dishonest stealth charges on general principle and then take a fiver off every ticket price for the remainder of the season in order to increase our shitty attendances and address some of the damage done by the price hikes.

I think doing this will significantly increase gates and has a good chance of making them more money not less this season - and I'm absolutely certain it's far better for the club's long term future.

I might be sounding a bit ignorant here but, WHAT STEALTH CHARGES???

We know that if you pay by CC and/or over the phone that you will have to pay extra for the transaction. Where are the hidden charges there?

By knocking £5 of the price of a ticket you will not increase revenue, merely fill more seats (maybe).

At current prices and gates we will break even in terms of wages this season, which is a good thing. Lets go back to a boom and bust scenario shall we? Bringing in players on hideous wages and not making sure the revenue was there to pay it.

I think our chairmans current strategy is spot on, he is thinking of the long term future of our club at this level and being able to progress.

I might be sounding a bit ignorant here but, WHAT STEALTH CHARGES???We know that if you pay by CC and/or over the phone that you will have to pay extra for the transaction. Where are the hidden charges there?

progress.

looking at the article from last nights meeting, it wasn't even brought up as a question and it was only brought up by Steve at the end of the discussion? does that mean that since the question wasn't raised? in general it's seen more as a common place and not as an issue? also no mention of the "telephone line" again? obviously it's not seen as a problem by people if it wasn't mentioned?

if these questions are such a big deal to some? why weren't they brought up last night?

I might be sounding a bit ignorant here but, WHAT STEALTH CHARGES???

We know that if you pay by CC and/or over the phone that you will have to pay extra for the transaction. Where are the hidden charges there?

There is absolutely no good reason whatsoever for a separate charge for the means of payment. It's stealthy because unless you read the separate section at the bottom you get the wrong impression about what you will end up paying. The phone call itself is a needless expense too, it's very cheeky to use an 0845 number and then sit someone in a menu for a long time.

By knocking £5 of the price of a ticket you will not increase revenue, merely fill more seats (maybe).

Look at the numbers earlier. If you fill enough more seats you will increase revenue. It's not JUST prices, it's marketing too. Any marketing whilst the prices are high would be wasted and any price cut without marketing it would be too.

At current prices and gates we will break even in terms of wages this season, which is a good thing. Lets go back to a boom and bust scenario shall we? Bringing in players on hideous wages and not making sure the revenue was there to pay it.

I think our chairmans current strategy is spot on, he is thinking of the long term future of our club at this level and being able to progress.

We've only had five home gates, the trend has been downwards from day one and will carry on going downwards unless we're in the playoffs near the end and although we've had a great start noone can say that's reasonably likely.

The long term future of any club is it's fans and if you can't persuade more people to become fans because of offputting prices then the club will not move forward.

SteveL appears happy to simply sit back and say "not many people will come so we will just screw the ones who do". That's unambitious IMO.

All this bullshit about the best crowds for 28 years is just spin. We're in the best league position we've been in for 28 years, and in 28 years football attendances in general have massively increased. It's a meaningless comparison done to justify a lack of ambition and accepted by the gullible.

We should be trying to get more people through the turnstiles regularly first. Prices can be increased more marginally later to produce just as much if not more revenue. Why has he apparently given up on increasing our regular fanbase?

looking at the article from last nights meeting, it wasn't even brought up as a question and it was only brought up by Steve at the end of the discussion? does that mean that since the question wasn't raised? in general it's seen more as a common place and not as an issue?

It's not common place to charge people for how they choose to pay for something.

It's been explained to you before but the only reason things like gig tickets have a booking fee is that the company selling the tickets is almost always an agent that needs a percentage.

That's not the case at football and I haven't yet heard a single good reason for why the charges are separate. Next thing they'll be telling us that the charges are actually separate so that it's fair on people who do pay in cash in person... the holes in that one being that the charges were added on not removed off and that secure cash handling is far more expensive than credit card transactions.

We've only had five home gates, the trend has been downwards from day one and will carry on going downwards unless we're in the playoffs near the end and although we've had a great start noone can say that's reasonably likely.

find a season where the opening season home game hasn't been around the highest games? crowds have gone down, but not constantly down, they have gone down, then up, then down, etc, odd's are that the next attedance will be an increase on the last one

All this bullshit about the best crowds for 28 years is just spin.

spin.......or a FACT.....

either way, Steve's read your views by the looks of it, and isn't really interested, judging him on what he has done for the club so far in his time as chairman, I'm willing to back his judgement in this decision

Absolute swoblocks.

All SL has stated that on current attendances we will break even. Attendences haven't been down down down, they have been up, down, up, down. Just like every other season.

How can you say fans have been put off by high ticket prices? I know some people can not afford them but others are taking their place.

Quite simply these are the best crowds for 28 years, its not spin. The only time its been better was when we were in the old 1st division.

Of course if you can show me the figures to say that it is not our best attendance for 28 years then I'll happily back down.

I also don't appreciate the way you think people are gullible because they don't think along the same lines as yourself. Remember not everyone is out to deceive us and maybe just maybe, people sometimes tell us the truth.

It's been explained to you before but the only reason things like gig tickets have a booking fee is that the company selling the tickets is almost always an agent that needs a percentage.

That's not the case at football and I haven't yet heard a single good reason for why the charges are separate. Next thing they'll be telling us that the charges are actually separate so that it's fair on people who do pay in cash in person... the holes in that one being that the charges were added on not removed off and that secure cash handling is far more expensive than credit card transactions.

just had a quick look around a couple of other football clubs, most require registration which I can't be arsed with, however just looking at Rovers, Leeds and Wolves, Charlton, Stoke so far all charge "credit card" or "service" charges for purchasing tickets when using credit/debit cards, haven't looked further,

I'm not saying they are right, however but already a sign that it appears to be a fairly common practice.

Absolute swoblocks.

All SL has stated that on current attendances we will break even. Attendences haven't been down down down, they have been up, down, up, down. Just like every other season.

How can you say fans have been put off by high ticket prices? I know some people can not afford them but others are taking their place.

Quite simply these are the best crowds for 28 years, its not spin. The only time its been better was when we were in the old 1st division.

Of course if you can show me the figures to say that it is not our best attendance for 28 years then I'll happily back down.

I also don't appreciate the way you think people are gullible because they don't think along the same lines as yourself. Remember not everyone is out to deceive us and maybe just maybe, people sometimes tell us the truth.

I'm not saying it isn't our best average attendance after the first 5 games for 28 years, I'm saying the fact that it is is entirely unremarkable given it's our best league position in that time and attendances in general in that time in football have hugely increased. It's classic spin, it's like saying Friday is the best day of the week we've had for 4 days.

Absolute swoblocks.

If people cannot afford to come (let's say a family of four paying not far short of a ton if the Ateyo is full and they have to sit in the Dolman/Williams), don't you think it is a good idea to introduce measures that will enable these people to come at least occasionally or are you prepared to accept that these people no longer get the pleasure of watching football "as long as others are taking their place"? Why not reel in the replacements AND the original supporters?

We KNOW for an absolute fact (unless the team massively exceeds expectations throughout the season) that there will be games such as Colchester, Blackpool, Barnsley and Hull City where the Away support will be somewhat limited and an opportunity exists to get people watching Bristol City at prices affordable to ALL. Would you rather the club stubbornly sticks to current prices and get crowds of 12-13K for these games or would you rather see an imaginative pricing and marketing strategy producing a nearly full Ashton Gate for fixtures that may be amongst the most important for the club this season.

find a season where the opening season home game hasn't been around the highest games? crowds have gone down, but not constantly down, they have gone down, then up, then down, etc, odd's are that the next attedance will be an increase on the last one

Talking about the trend not the individual figures.

The first gate is always bumper and the trend is downwards following it unless we're in the playoffs.

Our average attendance this season come game 46 will be lower than 14.8k. I'll donate £50 to the charity of your choice if it isn't (the only way that will happen is if we're in theplayoffs and if we are I'll be delighted to).

either way, Steve's read your views by the looks of it, and isn't really interested, judging him on what he has done for the club so far in his time as chairman, I'm willing to back his judgement in this decision

That's your call. My view is that SteveL has made some absolute howling decisions in his time on the board (Pulis, massive debts, Fawthrop, Tinnion) and some good ones too (GJ, academy). I think he's got his priorities wrong on this one, we should be trying to build a base before we exploit it not the other way around.

If people cannot afford to come (let's say a family of four paying not far short of a ton if the Ateyo is full and they have to sit in the Dolman/Williams), don't you think it is a good idea to introduce measures that will enable these people to come at least occasionally or are you prepared to accept that these people no longer get the pleasure of watching football "as long as others are taking their place"? Why not reel in the replacements AND the original supporters?

We KNOW for an absolute fact (unless the team massively exceeds expectations throughout the season) that there will be games such as Colchester, Blackpool, Barnsley and Hull City where the Away support will be somewhat limited and an opportunity exists to get people watching Bristol City at prices affordable to ALL. Would you rather the club stubbornly sticks to current prices and get crowds of 12-13K for these games or would you rather see an imaginative pricing and marketing strategy producing a nearly full Ashton Gate for fixtures that may be amongst the most important for the club this season.

I'm one of the people that can't afford to go anymore. I'm not saying and indeed have never said do not introduce discounts for certain games. All I am saying is that I understand the pricing given what the board and fans expect the team to acheive in terms of performance and signings. Also that by reducing the price across the board for EVERY game is not going to pay dividends long term.

I'm not saying it isn't our best average attendance after the first 5 games for 28 years, I'm saying the fact that it is is entirely unremarkable given it's our best league position in that time and attendances in general in that time in football have hugely increased. It's classic spin, it's like saying Friday is the best day of the week we've had for 4 days.

Its also our best attendance with what some people are saying are high ticket prices, so obviously people are prepared to pay. Obviously if we were in a relegation position our attendances would obviously be lower, but I don't think lower ticket prices would mean more people coming through the gate to see a side mired in relegation.

BTW Saturday is the best day of the week.

Its also our best attendance with what some people are saying are high ticket prices, so obviously people are prepared to pay. Obviously if we were in a relegation position our attendances would obviously be lower, but I don't think lower ticket prices would mean more people coming through the gate to see a side mired in relegation.

If we were mired in relegation the high prices would amplify the drop in attendance IMO from what it otherwise would be. If we get relegated I would expect less than 5k season ticket sales next year, all the work done building that total up year on year over the last decade will be undone and more in one fell swoop.

BTW Saturday is the best day of the week.

Yes, which just goes to show that just as Friday can be improved upon so can our best attendance for 28 years!

If we were mired in relegation the high prices would amplify the drop in attendance IMO from what it otherwise would be

yes, and as Steve has said in that meeting is that, By having a high ticket price to start with it gives the club the opportunity to come down to get people in if the performance on the pitch is struggling,

such as Norwich are doing to get people in, you wouldn't see them doing that if they would in the top 6 would you?

yes, and as Steve has said in that meeting is that, By having a high ticket price to start with it gives the club the opportunity to come down to get people in if the performance on the pitch is struggling,

such as Norwich are doing to get people in, you wouldn't see them doing that if they would in the top 6 would you?

I think if we're battling relegation and playing badly price reduction won't get people in anyway.

We're playing well, it's a superb opportunity to add to our fanbase, and we simply aren't taking it IMO.

A few years ago, the club started counting season ticket sales as attendance, even if they do not go.

However, the point you are making is valid. I am not totally conviced that price alone is the issue, I am sure it hits a number of people, but unless you were doing quid a kid type things, the current reductions will have a limited impact. That is not to knock the clubs efforts, I applaud the fact they are listening. I still feel there is a marketing issue at hand, I know a good number of older fans get stressed by the parking and security of parking, and anothe rnumber that think it is going to sell out, so think there are no tickets left. Yes, how daft is that, but every time the club says it is heading for a sell out (when it is not) they actually turn fans away. Why not announce how many tickets are still available for sale?

Spin

From going to the question and answer session we have broken even with ticket sales so far this season. That included the money that we have had from sky. Its extremely hard to get people to go and watch football week in week out. The club arent going to give away tickets nor offer reduced ones regularly just to put bums on seats. I think its going to be a slow process of winning over joe public but can he afford every home game?

Just think how much we earn from an empty seat and the atmosphere it creates.Look at Norwich.In the Prem lately and have been a far bigger club over the last 10/15 years.£10 per adult v Plymouth in Dec, £17 per adult, any seat v Watford-Now look at what we do.Both advertised NOW.

I think we need to realise that the premiership clubs have 40 million pounds to play with that we don't. Whilst I don't agree with what the club have done regarding pricing I can see they're in a no win situation here. With wages doubling from our promotion to the championship the money has to come from somewhere.

The comparison with the Prem doesn't wash with me on that basis and here's why.They have more from Sky, but their wage bills are ten times and more what ours are, so that's where it goes.Look at the fees they pay, even clubs like Wigan & Fulham paying out £5-6.5m fees for a player.

The money could come from selling the 4-6,000 empty seats we have and I'm sure if SL announced that the club were moving to a ground with a capacity of 15,000 there'd be an outcry.Villa (Far Bigger Club than we'll ever be),Wigan, Bolton, Blackburn, all had to reduce prices to sell tickets.So will we if we want to fill those empty seats.

Those increases, whilst reasonable to a multi millionaire are not viewed as reasonable by our customers.........and thy're the people that buy them, or don't, as is the current case.The extra money at most clubs comes via multi millionaire owners, a point to which SL eluded last night

My main concern is not this season but next season and IF we got relegated what would happen then? Would people renew their season tickets?

About 4-5,000 tops and only then on the back of a reduction to the tune of this years increase.

Citys gates have droppped second season in this division before same thing happened at Cardiff, Plymouth, Qpr, Sheff W in recent seasons which why we should be doing all to attract fans in now to try and keep them.

Ah, however, that's taking the long term view

Spot on Frome. I said at the time the pricing released for ST & POTD were going to alienate alot of people and the club would pay the price for these decisions in the long term rather than the short.

I'll be very interested in ST prices next season, they will have to tread carefully as the novelty factor would of worn off by then so not as many will be willing to pay up if another OTT price hike is introduced.

Early bird discount, then up 5% if we're in the CCC.

I'm one of the people that can't afford to go anymore. I'm not saying and indeed have never said do not introduce discounts for certain games. All I am saying is that I understand the pricing given what the board and fans expect the team to acheive in terms of performance and signings. Also that by reducing the price across the board for EVERY game is not going to pay dividends long term.

So, if the gates don't increase and wages, transfer fees go up etc, etc we'll then sell our better players and the downward spiral begins.It will work if we start filling as opposed to keeping our stadium about 60/70% full.It won't work if we keep prices higher than the market will stand.

Any business can only pay or charge what the market will stand and the football watching Bristol public won't stand for what we're charging at present.

No chance-So we say to people, "guess what, we're crap and, having kicked you firmly in the 'nads, priced you out after years of loyal support, you can come back now because we've knocked a few quid off.We didn't need you before and if you couldn't afford it, we told you to "do one", however, we need you now because our product's really poor to watch, so we're losing"

Yes, I can see those staying away putting up with that-The point you seem to miss is that once someone stops coming, they may well stop coming for good, hence SL's comments about "losing our core fan base" and what Nibor's saying about using the opportunity of success to build a fanbase for the next thirty years.What some might call, taking the long term view.

They did it last season when they weren't as bad as this and their attendances & ST Sales stood up-Last season, only Sundld & Derby (Marginally) had better attendances.

Bradford have more ST Holders than we do in the Fourth Div-Their average attendance is about 1,400 lower than ours and we get 1,200 away fans on average

Our attendances can be improved upon, I think we all can agree with that. But what is currently wrong with our attendance figures? Are people saying we should have full houses just because we are back in the championship after so many years?

I don't think we should ever compare ourselves to northern clubs. We have a much bigger history of other sport in this region and so should never expect to match them (which I think others may have alluded to).

After 4 home games I don't think we should be moaning that its not packed out, only two of those games have been on a Saturday at 3pm. Of course with lower prices you will attract more people but also not make as much money or just the same amount but without the capacity to increase those attendance figures.

That's my last comment on the subject, we're all kind of going round in circles.

Up the City.

Archived