IGNORED

Limitation Of Foreign Players?

Bow_Legged_Chicken

After watching the England game it got me thinkign about how good the Premier League is and how poor England is up to it.

It has been discussed before it was some time ago and after reading Glos Boy's comments on a post on the main forum thought i would bring it up.

I think that all English teams should have set squads of say 20 players, these 20 players are the only players alowed to play for the team during the season. at least 8 of these players have to be English however if the club want to/need extra players they can only use English players that are under 21 or under.

At the moment we got the likes of Wenger using England as a breeding ground for French players. Abromovich splashing out his cash on any good player going (mainly foreginers) although give Ranieri his due, he has got some great English talent there and I respect him a lot for that.

What i am saying is the greatness of the Premier league could be English footballs major downfall, we need a system where these clubs have to start investing money in the future players, future players of England. Afterall they are English clubs and its about time they start noticing this and respecting it.

There should be a limit I agree, but try getting that past the anti-British EU legislators.

You got two hopes; Bob Hope and no hope.

It's got nothing to do with that and you know it, how is it anti British ? every other country seems to manage.

Mabye if we actually trained and developed our players properly then there wouldn't be the need for the technically far, far superior forigners in our league. If kids were taught right at a young age which they are not then England would be stronger. It's nothing to do with the foreigners it's because our kids are toaught from a young age to build up fitness and almost completel negate technical ability.

name me one english player who comes close to the like of Zidane, Figo, Henry, RvN.

Watch the spanish or italian leagues, even the smaller clubs over there have players with more technical ability than most of the english players in the Premiership.

English players are brought up to make up for the severe lack of technical ability by running around a lot.

Beckham is the perfect example of how not to coach a player, he has been at madrid a bit over 6 months and already his technical ability has improved no end, compared to the 16 years at Man U when they taught him sod all.

You have to remember that a lot of english players learn more from the foreign players than from fellow englishmen. Imagine you were a young striker at Chelsea a few years ago, who were you more likely to watch and admire in training, Zola or Mark Stein?

The problem's not necessarily about nationality, it's about quality, the Van Nistelrooy's, Henry's, Viera's and Cantona's as opposed to the Poborsky's, Cheyrou's, Wrey's and Guivarche's. You get the point, you've got to trust (and maybe blame) the managers as well.

I'm completely for foreign players improving the english game, but it does anger me when young english players are being held back by mediocre foreigners, often only here to pick up a decent signing on fee and good wage.

I would back a restriction on foreigners to a degree, i'd say no more than 5 in the starting 11 meaning that Chelsea, Bolton, Arsenal and no doubt many others would ahve to rethink strategies.

Although... to argue with myself, if this came into force then most of premier league would instantly be massively disadvantaged as man u, arsenal and especially chelsea would hold their own bidding wars for the best english players leaving everyone elsse trailing in their wake.

I think this post just about makes sense, basically, i'm all for the best foreign players in england, we just suffer from having far to many mediocre foreigners keeping british talent out of the top flight.

Archived