IGNORED

Otib Team

beau45

No seriously, whats the reason?

Because a woman would not be good enough or strong enough to compete with a fully grown man

Ive probally just opened a can of worms, and I'm all for womens football.........but the day I see a woman fly into a 50-50 challenge with some 15 stone bloke, Ill eat my hat :winner_third_h4h:

but the day I see a woman fly into a 50-50 challenge with some 15 stone bloke, Ill eat my hat :winner_third_h4h:

any friday or saturday night in town isnt that?

seriously though, it's like saying why can't men play women's football.........it just wouldn't work

No seriously, whats the reason?

Ok, boring answer...

Not sure how it works for a charity game like this, but the FA insists all league football is played in single gender teams from the age of 11 onwards. Primary school children can play in mixed gender teams, but from secondary school onwards (U12s), it must be separate.

Girls also tend to play 7 or 9-a-side through their teenage years, as there simply aren't the numbers in a lot of areas to sustain 11-a-side leagues. Whereas boys play almost entirely in 11-a-side teams from the age of 11 onwards.

Some MPs did try to get this rule overturned a year or so ago, to allow girls to continue to play alongside boys above the age of 11, but nothing has come of it so far. I know one girl who played for a team in Balham even wrote and asked for dispensation to play for her local team, as she was good enough and there was no alternative, but she was turned down.

You also have issues with separate changing facilities etc. (do your own gags about the bath/swapping shirts here) which the FA has used as a reason for not allowing it in the past, due to the cost of laying on additional facilities. It also felt their were potential issues with legal liability, as boys are (generally) stronger and more muscular than girls and they were concerned about injuries.

Basically, it's a bloody minefield.

I help run a football club with teams of both genders. Can you tell?

Ok, boring answer...

Not sure how it works for a charity game like this, but the FA insists all league football is played in single gender teams from the age of 11 onwards. Primary school children can play in mixed gender teams, but from secondary school onwards (U12s), it must be separate.

Girls also tend to play 7 or 9-a-side through their teenage years, as there simply aren't the numbers in a lot of areas to sustain 11-a-side leagues. Whereas boys play almost entirely in 11-a-side teams from the age of 11 onwards.

Some MPs did try to get this rule overturned a year or so ago, to allow girls to continue to play alongside boys above the age of 11, but nothing has come of it so far. I know one girl who played for a team in Balham even wrote and asked for dispensation to play for her local team, as she was good enough and there was no alternative, but she was turned down.

You also have issues with separate changing facilities etc. (do your own gags about the bath/swapping shirts here) which the FA has used as a reason for not allowing it in the past, due to the cost of laying on additional facilities. It also felt their were potential issues with legal liability, as boys are (generally) stronger and more muscular than girls and they were concerned about injuries.

Basically, it's a bloody minefield.

I help run a football club with teams of both genders. Can you tell?

Ok Thanks!

But the otib team don't actually play in a league do they, so are the rules the same or different?

Ok Thanks!

But the otib team don't actually play in a league do they, so are the rules the same or different?

Not sure.

The changing facilities thing would be the same and I guess there may be an issue with legal liability if a woman got injured, bearing in mind the FA flagged this up as a reason to keep genders separate. One of the people involved would have to tell you what the terms of the insurance is for the game to clarify that. It may well stipulate age/single gender etc.

Archived