IGNORED

Phone Contracts

94th Minute

Hey, I was just wondering if any of you had any idea of the laws surrounding phone contracts.

Basically I've had a contract with orange for about 6 months, but i just got a bill through, and they've cut me from 3000 texts to 500 texts a month. They didn't ask me before this, and its not written into my contrat.

So basically I know this is a violation of the terms of my contract, is this enough for me to phone up, and ask them to cancel my contract.

I'm on orange and I don't get reception in my student house (living there 30 weeks of the year) so cancelling it would be good.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

If you have a contract letter that states you will have 3000 txts, and theres no small print about a "fair usage policy" and they have then cut it to 500 then yes they are in breach of contract and you can ask for it to be cancelled.

If only it was that simple. I know first hand how difficult it is to take on phone companies about cancelling contracts etc. No disrespect to the original poster but your situation sounds a bit vague. You mention you've had the contract for 6 months, are you sure it wasnt a special offer you were recieving that has now expired.

Phone contracts are sadly almost water tight, the fact you need to give a months notice to cancel an expired contract further adds to the ridicule.

If you can expand on your situation, I may be able to help further. But the likliness of "asking for it to be cancelled" being heard by anyone who actually gives a toss will be next to none.

Rich.

If only it was that simple. I know first hand how difficult it is to take on phone companies about cancelling contracts etc. No disrespect to the original poster but your situation sounds a bit vague. You mention you've had the contract for 6 months, are you sure it wasnt a special offer you were recieving that has now expired.

Phone contracts are sadly almost water tight, the fact you need to give a months notice to cancel an expired contract further adds to the ridicule.

If you can expand on your situation, I may be able to help further. But the likliness of "asking for it to be cancelled" being heard by anyone who actually gives a toss will be next to none.

Rich.

To add to that. I hope for your sake that you don't owe any outstanding bills or anything. Otherwise they will keep the contract running until its all paid off. I am still currently paying off a fairly large contract to Orange and they still wont cancel it until every last penny is paid off.

If your paying/paid it by cirect debit, contact your bank straight away and tell them not to let Orange take any money out by direct debit.

Rich.

I believe that I've been running the contract for 5 months to the bill to date, and it was a new contract taken out with orange over the phone. There was no mention of a special promotion when I agreed to it (verbal contract?) and didn't sign anything when the new phone arrived.

So I didn't at any point agree to the texts for the contract to be cut.

I know that they will do anything that they can to keep me tied to the contract, because thats what they do. But if I write a strong letter, demanding that they cancel it, after this breach of terms, would I be in the right?

Thanks for your advice

Tom

To add to that. I hope for your sake that you don't owe any outstanding bills or anything. Otherwise they will keep the contract running until its all paid off. I am still currently paying off a fairly large contract to Orange and they still wont cancel it until every last penny is paid off.

If your paying/paid it by cirect debit, contact your bank straight away and tell them not to let Orange take any money out by direct debit.

No luckily I pay it by direct debit, so can't see me owing them any money.

Thanks anyway

Make sure at no point you mention that your not getting a very good reception at home or they might think your fibbing just to get out of the contract. You want to cancel it because they have broken their terms of agreement. Might be worth speaking to the phone ombudsman to see what they say and then you can quote all the technical jargon at Orange when you do ring them.

I believe that I've been running the contract for 5 months to the bill to date, and it was a new contract taken out with orange over the phone. There was no mention of a special promotion when I agreed to it (verbal contract?) and didn't sign anything when the new phone arrived.

So I didn't at any point agree to the texts for the contract to be cut.

I know that they will do anything that they can to keep me tied to the contract, because thats what they do. But if I write a strong letter, demanding that they cancel it, after this breach of terms, would I be in the right?

Thanks for your advice

Tom

No luckily I pay it by direct debit, so can't see me owing them any money.

Thanks anyway

Sorry, Typo. I did mean Direct Debit.

Make sure at no point you mention that your not getting a very good reception at home or they might think your fibbing just to get out of the contract. You want to cancel it because they have broken their terms of agreement. Might be worth speaking to the phone ombudsman to see what they say and then you can quote all the technical jargon at Orange when you do ring them.

Thanks, what is a phone ombudsman?

Archived