IGNORED

Tv Stations.... We Are Bristol City (fc)

Dorset_Cider

Am I the only one (probably) who doesn't quite get this 'disrespect' thing that many people seem to take exception to when someone refers to us as 'Bristol' instead of using our full title 'Bristol City'?

In matches like last Saturdays when both teams are 'City's' ie: Bristol City & Stoke City surely theres nothing wrong with differentiating the two sides in reports by using the term Bristol or indeed Stoke why the need to add 'City' each time? I see nothing to feel disrespected by or any reason to be aggrieved, whats the problem? ...

If however we were playing against the Gas then the singular terms of City or Rovers would be the obvious choice of phrase.

When we discuss Mr Johnson Snr & Mr Johnson Jnr once its established that its the Johnsons we are referring to then doesnt it make sense to then use the terms Gary or Lee?

If we're talking about a match in which both Lee Trundle & Lee Johnson were playing then it saves confusion by using either LT / LJ or Trundle / Johnson..Theres nothing disrespectful in using these differential terms is there?

Likewise I don't get the problem that many seem to have when someone occasionally refers to us as 'Bristol' -when its obvious that the Club/team in question is us & not Bristol Rugby or the Gas...

It all seems a bit overly petty, touchy & pedantic to me... or am I wrong? cheers Whistle.

(erm.. Happy :))

To be honest, it's never really bothered me that much.

Shows that essentially when you think of football and Bristol, everyone in the country thinks of us. There is such a gulf in class now with the other lot it'll only happen more and more so we better get used to it.

Do you say Cardiff or Cardiff City?

West Ham or West Ham United?

The only time you'll say the team's second name if you think about it would be Man City or Sheffield Weds?

Both of their rivals are big clubs and in the same league as them so you have to differentiate.

For us, why would anyone even think about a little club of 5k attendances struggling to stay out of the bottom division??

You mention Bristol and football, I guarantee you as someone who lives in London they think of Gary Johnson's team more and more now.

So they should too....

(PS - different point but I am not exactly happy about the amount of people here in London who are recognising how good Johnson is. Even a Spurs fan remarked he could've done a fair bit for them with the resources he'd have....)

Its because you both end with city..so as not to confuse i suppose..although they couldve said stoke for them and city 4 you lot..oh i dunno they do it with us as well.now yer getting famous you,d better get used to all this.

in myhonest opnion it is a lost cause

I would imagine that BBC stokes version would have said

Bristol on the attack and CITY failing to score

locally on BBC radio I would have thought Bristol City

would have been called City and Stoke would have been stoke

The last time the City and the other team played in a competative game

the national commentator said city on the attack other team failing score etc.

I might get out th tape of the last City v Rovers match covered LIVE on telly

trouble is its so long ago since we played one another

that its a BETA MAX version and I ain't a BETA player any more

Archived