IGNORED

Pay As You Throw Is Back!

Barrs Court Red

It's been announced that councils are to be given the green light to pilot charging schemes relating to the disposal of household waste.

Is it fair to assume that this will result in paying less council tax? (And skip the charging by fly tipping)

the countryside will be full of household waste.black bags everyway!

It'll never work. The Daily Mail will create a frenzy and there are enough scumbags out there who'll dump rubbish anywhere they see fit.

If it could be enforced properly then I think it would be a great idea. If you want to use more council resources to take away the rubbish produced by your army of children, then you should pay for it.

If you want to use more council resources to take away the rubbish produced by your army of children, then you should pay for it.

How do you mean more resources?

You'll be telling me they're giving refuse collectors a payrise next?

If this happens all it will mean is another contracted out service which becomes vastly more expensive, vastly less convenient and penalises EVERYBODY.

You can't really be under the illusion that people who bin less stuff will pay less than they do now can you?!

The only people who will benefit will be the fat cats owning the private firms they contract it out to, and the local government people they are in bed with.

I disagree, people with children should not be penalised, it is the producers who create the needless packaging. Imagine the fly tipping at christmas for example! It is simply a tax by proxy, unless as I said, the goods that we buy are more realistically packaged.

I'm guessing a family of four will be allowed a certain size/weight before additional charges are brought and that exceptions would be made for xmas. I'd just like some of these monster families having to pay their way for something rather than seemingly taking from the system all the time.

I'm with you fully on the packaging. If I use a supermarket for fruit and veg I don't buy anything covered in plastic as my own personal protest. As this issue has become more in the public eye recently I've read stories from people who dump all their unneccessary packaging at the tills.

How do you mean more resources?

You'll be telling me they're giving refuse collectors a payrise next?

If this happens all it will mean is another contracted out service which becomes vastly more expensive, vastly less convenient and penalises EVERYBODY.

You can't really be under the illusion that people who bin less stuff will pay less than they do now can you?!

The only people who will benefit will be the fat cats owning the private firms they contract it out to, and the local government people they are in bed with.

I don't imagine for a second I'll end up paying less as any saving made on me will be sucked up somewhere else in the system.

I'd love to see those people who don't give a toss have to pay more though. A complete change in attitude is needed in this selfish society and if the only way people will learn is by hitting them in the pocket then so be it.

It'll never work. The Daily Mail will create a frenzy and there are enough scumbags out there who'll dump rubbish anywhere they see fit.

If it could be enforced properly then I think it would be a great idea. If you want to use more council resources to take away the rubbish produced by your army of children, then you should pay for it.

not bad where i live. weve got a green bin for garden waste,colleced every two weeks. whats bristol like?

not bad where i live. weve got a green bin for garden waste,colleced every two weeks. whats bristol like?

I'm in South Glos. We fortnightly collections of the black (household waste) and green (garden waste and cardboard only(?)) bins. There is a also a green recycling box for just about everything you can recycle at home bar plastics.

I'm happy to save up the plastic bottles and take a weekly stroll to the recycling bank and stop off at the pub on the way home as my reward for saving the planet. :me?:

I'd love to see those people who don't give a toss have to pay more though. A complete change in attitude is needed in this selfish society and if the only way people will learn is by hitting them in the pocket then so be it.

Hitting people in the pocket never ever teaches them anything, and that most certainly isn't the motivation behind the proposal. The motivation is simply to put more money in the hands of already rich people.

The end result of doing this will be that everyone pays more for a service that gets worse, just like every other public service that ends up contracted out. It will improve nothing for noone except the fat cats getting rich who are already the most selfish and give the smallest toss. You will see rubbish dumped all over the place creating a public health hazard, and then you'll see the already overburdened justice system stretched further trying to cope with the tiny percentage of fly tippers that get caught and the families who can't afford their new tax.

People don't want to produce rubbish, they'd be quite happy to produce less of it. What the government should be doing is regulating manufacturers and retailers with respect to packaging to prevent it being produced in the first place.

This is simply one of the single most stupid, greedy and completely unsupportable ideas there has ever been. It shows the complete lack of imagination people in the government have that they think extra taxes are the solution to anything.

Next off, they'll bring back road charging as a means of hitting our emissions targets - yet direct all the fund raised from it towards... well anything but research into alternative energy.

I'd just like some of these monster families having to pay their way for something rather than seemingly taking from the system all the time.

Think is (horrible stereotype time) more than likely they'll be unemplyed wasters who will not end up paying for anything anyway.

Same in South Glos, somerset uses the same principle, but in the form of a rag and bone man.

I'm in South Glos. We fortnightly collections of the black (household waste) and green (garden waste and cardboard only(?)) bins. There is a also a green recycling box for just about everything you can recycle at home bar plastics.

I'm happy to save up the plastic bottles and take a weekly stroll to the recycling bank and stop off at the pub on the way home as my reward for saving the planet. :me?:

i hate it when the bin men don't take the odd black bag away.

It's been announced that councils are to be given the green light to pilot charging schemes relating to the disposal of household waste.

Is it fair to assume that this will result in paying less council tax? (And skip the charging by fly tipping)

You can guarentee they wont cut the council tax charge, Me and my missus already pay £110 per month council tax, we recycle and are generally quite good with our refuse. what do we actually pay council tax for, Bin collections once a week and the lights on in the road????, What do i actually get for my £110?

You can guarentee they wont cut the council tax charge, Me and my missus already pay £110 per month council tax, we recycle and are generally quite good with our refuse. what do we actually pay council tax for, Bin collections once a week and the lights on in the road????, What do i actually get for my £110?

Well, some of it goes toward the old bill ect, basically the running of the council services like libarys, schools ect ect

Again the French seem to have things right.

Every fortnight we put out our yellow recycling bags and regardless of how many they are always taken as is our weekly garbage pickup.

Our local Dechetterie (dump) allows us to take anything from garden waste, furniture, ex wives to old fridges etc. No limit again on how much you can take.

The price to us......nowt, zero, not a penny!!!

Well, some of it goes toward the old bill ect, basically the running of the council services like libarys, schools ect ect

Ok thats fair enough,

Why does my old man have to pay nearly double my council tax? why is it not a set charge? His house is much bigger than mine but this will be covered in higher electric and gas bills etc, there are no more libarys and he uses about the same amount of rubbish as me which again gets collected once a week, There is only one primary school in is area and I cant see the coppers cost more so basically he is being ripped off.

Ok thats fair enough,

Why does my old man have to pay nearly double my council tax? why is it not a set charge? His house is much bigger than mine but this will be covered in higher electric and gas bills etc, there are no more libarys and he uses about the same amount of rubbish as me which again gets collected once a week, There is only one primary school in is area and I cant see the coppers cost more so basically he is being ripped off.

I suppose the theory is the burden is spread by wealth, which takes the piss because those in small houses end up with more disposable income.

Changes might be made to increase the amount of houses paying more too, depending on improvements even taking into account the view!

I suppose the theory is the burden is spread by wealth, which takes the piss because those in small houses end up with more disposable income.

Changes might be made to increase the amount of houses paying more too, depending on improvements even taking into account the view!

Also i thought my income tax paid for NHS, Coppers and all that. We get ripped off big time in this country, were taxed for everything.

Archived