IGNORED

Sl's Investments.

garlicbread

Big article in the Evening Standard in London about Hargreaves Landsdown; stating that as well as the £300m windfall SL gets, he also gets annual bonuses of £10m.

Not one to tell people how to spend their hard earned, but would it not be a good punt to drop GJ a few mill in jan (say, about 10?) to spend on a couple of quality players? (I would suggest maybe a centre half and a central midfielder). We all know GJ would spend wisely and attract the right players to give it a real go.

Doesnt exactly dent SLs coffers, and it would surely give us a dream shot to really push on and win automatic promotion.

If we did go up, worse case scenario would be that we go back down with £30m. Then we would really be able to establish ourselves for the future.

Given our set up, our current momentum and where we are currently in th league, it seems like a very realistic punt.

I know he wont, but does it not make sense for him to have a go?

What is the obsession by a lot of people on here with SL ploughing all his money into to city? Surely he showed dedication to the club in the summer and spent quite a lot of money . But just because he has made some more money in his other business ventures , doesn't mean he has to put it all into buying new players to push for promotion when the current team is exceeding all expectations anyway!

What is the obsession by a lot of people on here with SL ploughing all his money into to city? Surely he showed dedication to the club in the summer and spent quite a lot of money . But just because he has made some more money in his other business ventures , doesn't mean he has to put it all into buying new players to push for promotion when the current team is exceeding all expectations anyway!

I don't believe its an obsession, quite literally a good discussion really. If come January we are still in or around the top 6, Lansdown has some serious thinking to do....and a massive business decision to make.

Whats the saying, "Speculate to accumulate". If we are still in with a shout of making the top 6, does he invest more to help us go that extra mile? Invest £5m ....get to the Premiership, make the club about £50m. Big money on the Premiership, and as SL is a businessman....might be a wise investment

We're 2nd in the league by spending within our means, and although this may be short-lived, it goes to show we aren't in major need of investment.

What I would say is that there's no point going for broke (literally) just to get into the prem, when there are no guarantees that heavy spending would do it.

If we're still in top 3 at xmas I think it will be SL asking GJ how much money he wants rather than GJ asking for money

Players would also want to come to us so... "Success breeds success" is another cliche we could use.. If and it is a BIG if, we are there or thereabouts come 1/1/2008, as the other posters have said, GJ has to spend money wisely and we as fans have to trust him and not second guess him.

We could be in touching distance of glory...

However if we're not then there's always next year...

SteveL could very well decide to invest more money on players if we're still in contention come January. It might actually represent decent value for money because although investing in football is risky, promotion to the Prem is hugely rewarding.

However, I'd prefer that he kept any investment reasonably modest (in football terms) as he did in the summer. GJ has shown he can bring in players that are good enough to compete at the top of this division for money in that sort of range, so why take the risk of being saddled with two or three players on ten grand a week that the club really can't afford in the longer term?

I think if GJ wants to strengthen in January he will find the chairman's door open and the discussion positive, and that's a good thing.

Just to add to this debate; Ipswich just got taken over by a new owner today. He's written off about £30 million of debt and injected something like £18 million into the running of the club. Considering how well run they have been up to this point and how strongthey look as a football team this year I'd put them in the frame for potentially challenging for promotion this year.

the unknown is .... would an expensive 'new player' undermine the team ethic GJ has built here ..

We don't have to look too far back in our club's history to see how wild spending knackered a whole season, so the answer here is a resounding "yes".

Any amount of money needs to be spent wisely - although with my current credit rating I'm hardly bloody confuscious!

If though (wild praying here) we are still second in January how much more in terms of players and money would we need?

No need to spend big to achieve sucess as we have seen so far BUT having said that the acquisition of 2 or 3 top quality players (to my mind a Central Midfielder and a Striker) would perhaps push us into a position to make the top 2. You only have to look at Watford's attack to see that.

What you don't want to do is buy big name players that don't fit in and balance everything- I'm sure GJ will know what is right.

Bradford, Ipswich, Leeds, Wimbledon etc etc all tried the quick fix of getting to the premiership then when they fell out of it again have all experienced financial meltdown and in one case gone out of business/changed name etc.

It angers me how people think that the premiership is the holy grail and we should go 'all out' to get there. I can envisage some people on here demanding SL spending £10m in January that takes us up then spend £20m on keeping us in the prem. We go down in the first season, players on 30k a week dont want to play and just sit on the wage bill because no one wants them. We then tumble down the leagues and SL refused to 'throw good money after bad' and people hound him out. He pisses off wondering where it all went wrong.

Just look at Watford, they havn't spent majorly and in fact Nathan Ellington is there record signing at just over £3m and cant start as King and Henderson are the first choice front two.

People always want the quick fix/throw a few squillion at it and hope and I for one dont want a repeat of 82. If we get to the prem this season (about as likely as England winning Euro 2008) then we need to do it with our current ethics otherwise we will be like Bradford and sitting just about the drop to non league in a few years.

Big article in the Evening Standard in London about Hargreaves Landsdown; stating that as well as the £300m windfall SL gets, he also gets annual bonuses of £10m.

Not one to tell people how to spend their hard earned, but would it not be a good punt to drop GJ a few mill in jan (say, about 10?) to spend on a couple of quality players? (I would suggest maybe a centre half and a central midfielder). We all know GJ would spend wisely and attract the right players to give it a real go.

Doesnt exactly dent SLs coffers, and it would surely give us a dream shot to really push on and win automatic promotion.

If we did go up, worse case scenario would be that we go back down with £30m. Then we would really be able to establish ourselves for the future.

Given our set up, our current momentum and where we are currently in th league, it seems like a very realistic punt.

I know he wont, but does it not make sense for him to have a go?

I'd rather have Steve Lansdown invest in the property around Ashton Gate. With all the talk of City struggling to finance the rebuilding of the Easy End, SL could act as guarantor for the purchase of houses behind the East End and the rebuilding of an amazing new stand.

Why don't you read the post again??

I was suggesting he put a bit of his cash in (be like about £200 to us).

I'm not suggesting the guy bankrupts himself (not that he could), but why shouldnt a major shareholder invest a bit more. Trust me, he would get the return if we succeed. If we get promo, he will be seen as a shrewd operator in football.

- The 'majority' of people on here actually want promotion to the prem, and this would be a strong investment to achieve it.

If Johnson has his eyes on some players who will challenge for a first team place then he would be foolish not to ask for the cash to buy them. Any decisions on players should come from GJ and i'm sure that if he asks Steve L for £10 mill then it would be considered.

The worst scenario would be for SL to force the cash onto GJ so that he feels pressured to spend it. Hopefully there's enough meddling chairman to prove the point that football matters are best left to GJ and SL can concentrate on expanding City's presence in South America and the Far East.

I'm sure if a player/s are required in the transfer window Mr Landsdowne will oblige.

However the players at the club are the ones who would have put us in a position to mount a promotion push...Thus I would think that unless we have an injury crisis/problem it would be suprizing if more than one good quality player is bought in.

Contrary to the belief of the Wolves fan who posted earlier on another thread, we probably do have a decent squad with enough depth to cope with short/medium term injuries (provided we don't get half a dozen simultaneously) and with Brooker/Enoch almost available we are certainly in a good position to compete until January.

Bradford, Ipswich, Leeds, Wimbledon etc etc all tried the quick fix of getting to the premiership then when they fell out of it again have all experienced financial meltdown and in one case gone out of business/changed name etc.

Sky money and parachute payments make the current situation different from those teams. Watford did it the right way: spend little in the Prem and maintain your squad and your finances. That's what we need to do. A season in the prem could pay for training facilities and pay off debts. Good business in the long run. Don't think we'll go up though, but I'd take it!

People are hooked on our chairman's wallet cos we see multi-millionaires buying clubs and wish we had that. Then we see a rich-list, realise we already have a big money chairman, and wonder why we don't get the big investment (instead we get loans and a frugel budget).

In January, only fix it if it's broke. A talented young striker would be good, unless Plummer is going to be the business. Jevons and Brooker will be out the door pretty soon.

If we're still in top 3 at xmas I think it will be SL asking GJ how much money he wants rather than GJ asking for money

I agree. In the past, Lansdown hasn't been one to shy away from big money signings. I am sure whatever Gary Johnson thinks he needs in the january transfer window, Lansdown will cough up. One of the positives with Lansdown is he backs his managers decisions on signings.

I fully expect there to be changes in January. With players going out the door and new faces coming in. Only time will tell who comes in but I for one think that GJ needs to splash a little more than the 1 mil spent on Trundle in order to strengthen the squad if we are to have any chance of an unlikely promotion challenge.

I would rather see us try and get a couple of highly promising young lads from the Prem on Loan in the New Year until the end of the season. They will be keen to prove themselves worthy of first team selection by a bigger club and have that bit of skill to help us out. As they are young the prospect of helping a team gain Premiership status may appeal to them and also it would be a sound investment without spending silly sums of money. Be nothing worse than spending 4 or 5m on 2 players and getting in the Playoffs and missing out and having a substancial wage bill for the Championship.

There are plenty of younsters in the mix at the big clubs but thats not to say they will still be in the 1st team solidly in January. Also Liverpool have some cracking youngsters. Seem some of the reserve games on Sky, think that route I suggested would probably appeal more to Johnson.

but would it not be a good punt to drop GJ a few mill in jan

I think that's where Football Club's go wrong.

It's a team (a family - like an orphanage) of which GJ is adoptive parent, he'll think to himself, ''hmm, hello me, how's my household today, hmm, maybe I could do with another person to help with the gardening, hmm, let's have a little look about, oooh I quite fancy him (although not in a sexual way) - he looks like a good gardener lets talk to the boy and make sure he's not a ****, oooh, he's not, now let's go see Grandad Steve and see if he's willing to contribute financially to the family as he knows I'm a good man and have the family's best interest at heart, oooh, he does, goodo''.

In sum, this is not Championship Manager (although Gary is infact one), SL's personal wealth is only one relatively minor factor.

I would rather see us try and get a couple of highly promising young lads from the Prem on Loan in the New Year until the end of the season. They will be keen to prove themselves worthy of first team selection by a bigger club and have that bit of skill to help us out. As they are young the prospect of helping a team gain Premiership status may appeal to them and also it would be a sound investment without spending silly sums of money. Be nothing worse than spending 4 or 5m on 2 players and getting in the Playoffs and missing out and having a substancial wage bill for the Championship.

There are plenty of younsters in the mix at the big clubs but thats not to say they will still be in the 1st team solidly in January. Also Liverpool have some cracking youngsters. Seem some of the reserve games on Sky, think that route I suggested would probably appeal more to Johnson.

Like Steve Gillespie?

Its up to Lansown but we shouldnt gamble, look at Leeds and what happend to them through gambling. A lot of tripe gets talked on here aobut the Premierhsip but its important to rememeber a year ago we were league one and a mid table finish this year would be fantastic. In the same way people are gettin carried away now with winning i hopethe same people do not get overly negative and critical if we have a few defeats or draws

Archived