IGNORED

Is This As Good As It Gets?

headhunter

As a City follower for 40 years just about every game so far has been, at the very least, on a par with the 'best game of the season' for as long as I can remember.

In the post war years at this level we have only had 4 seasons that are in any way comparable with where we are now some 13 games into the campaign.

Season 55/56 followed Atyeo & co's Div3 success the year before and after 13 games it was 7 WINS, 3 DRAWS and 3 DEFEATS. We were top around Christmas time and ended 11th after winning only 2 of the last 10 games.

Season 65/66 followed another promotion from Div.3 to what is now The Championship and after 13 games the record was 5 WINS, 5 DRAWS and 3 DEFEATS. City were never out of the top 8 and may well have gone straight through to the promised land had they fared better against Southampton in two games over the Easter break, the south coast club clinching second place.

73/74 reads 7-3-3 but City faded badly to finish a disappointing 16th and only the FA Cup win over Leeds and 1/4 Final appearance against Liverpool 'made' the season.

And so to the last time we were this good !!! Season 75/76. 8 WINS, 3 DRAWS and 2 DEFEATS. Game 13 took us to Top Spot and we never dropped out of the top three.

In my opinion this current team has the same togetherness of the Class of 76 and you have to give GJ credit for that [i had it wrong about him].

Next up is Wolves - a tough call and to lose after 4 straight wins would be a disappointment but not a disaster. Not wishing to be a prophet of doom but in the 4 seasons under review Game 14 has produced 1 draw & 3 defeats.

Cheers for that, it's amazing when you put it into context. As much as we're starting to get a little cocky, I think City fans are genuinely appreciating the overdue glory times that these are.

Those stats clearly show that these are great days to be a City fan, but I'd really like to see these kind of stats in another five, then ten games. Will make interesting reading!

And so to the last time we were this good !!! Season 75/76. 8 WINS, 3 DRAWS and 2 DEFEATS. Game 13 took us to Top Spot and we never dropped out of the top three.

I believe we finished 13th in the top flight during season 1978/79 - our best finish in 69 seasons 'til that date. We're now on a par, in relative football standard terms, with that 1978/79 side that included a few ex England internationals. Also, Marvin Elliot is so amazingly like Gerry Gow - it's uncanny. :winner_third_h4h:

I always considered city to be a top 30 side - so our current place of 22nd - if that is where we end at the end of the season wil make it an exceptional year. Top 6 (26) makes it an excellent year and anywhere around 30th makes it a very good year considering where we have been and that we are still learning how to play in this division.

Archived