IGNORED

Stand Behind The Goal

A Horse With No Name

Just like to say that the stand behind the goal, to our left, seems to be just the type of structure that we could do with when the East End gets replaced. The atmosphere when wolves were on top, was deafening, and the acoustics were amazing considering the very high roof.

The stand that City fans were in at Wolves is a perfect example of what shouldn't happen to the East End. We had plenty of numbers in there, but the Atmosphere from the City fans was awful because all our fans were spread along a narrow lower tier, we weren't compacted enough to get any decent songs going.

If the East End was rebuilt like this, then the atmosphere at Ashton Gate would get even worse. We desperately need a massive single tiered stand so that all fans can sing in unison.

BTW, I also liked the fact with the Wolves home end, that halfway up the stand the steepness of the stand increased.

Have to say that yesterday has made me change my mind. The stand to our left made a lot of noise! If we had that as the new EE then I for one would be pretty happy.

I agree that we were pretty quiet yesterday because the fans were spread the length of the pitch. There were different songs going on at either end. Maybe Steve L is right saying he wants home fans at both ends as at Wolves yesterday!

U REDS

The South bank can be pretty good, which never really comes across on TV.

Yuo were in a terrible stand for atmosphere, and its way too far from the pitch.

I hate to say it, but wait til you go the Hawthrons - it just reverberates as its all hemmed in. I wouldlove Molineux to be like that if we redevelop the stand you were in yesterday. But as an end a stand like the South bank is good for support when everyone gets going. Ironically i didnt think it really did get going yesterday.

The South bank is ok and i do like the emblem across the seats as it identifies itself instantly as being wolves. It would benefit from maybe something on the roof e.g big clock or one of those screens. It is also nowhere as nosiy as the old south bank was and that could have is some way been avoided by lowering and slanting the roof downwards to project sound across the stadium.

The South bank is still a damn sight better than what City intend doing and if there was ever an example of why our club should not put boxes behind a goal it was yesterday. That stand we were in is very hard to generate any sound from.

The South bank can be pretty good, which never really comes across on TV.

Yuo were in a terrible stand for atmosphere, and its way too far from the pitch.

I hate to say it, but wait til you go the Hawthrons - it just reverberates as its all hemmed in. I wouldlove Molineux to be like that if we redevelop the stand you were in yesterday. But as an end a stand like the South bank is good for support when everyone gets going. Ironically i didnt think it really did get going yesterday.

We should all listen to this man!

The Hawthorns have single tiered stands behind each of the goals, and I agree it's what City should go for, just making sure that what we build isn't too long and thin (like the Atyeo or the lower tier of the Steve Bull stand at Molineux).

Deep, steep and compact is what we need.

The South bank is ok and i do like the emblem across the seats as it identifies itself instantly as being wolves. It would benefit from maybe something on the roof e.g big clock or one of those screens. It is also nowhere as nosiy as the old south bank was and that could have is some way been avoided by lowering and slanting the roof downwards to project sound across the stadium.

The South bank is still a damn sight better than what City intend doing and if there was ever an example of why our club should not put boxes behind a goal it was yesterday. That stand we were in is very hard to generate any sound from.

Excuse the pun, but hear hear. Any new roof on the East End should point down towards the pitch, with the sides filled-in/joined so that the stand acts almost like a dome.

Talking of domes, has anyone actually been in the Berkley pub at the top of Park street? They've got a glass ceiling dome in there, and the amount of noise it echoes around is amazing. I wonder if any clever architects could use the same principles for echoing sound around the roof of a new East End?

Must be getting old and wise!

But what strikes me is that ground structure really does encourage good vocal support. The reputation of fans as supporters can be profoundly affected by ground structure. Swap Pompey and Saints fans, and Wolves and Albion fans around for example - would their reputations as vocal supporters change too? Pompey and Albion are undoubtedly vocal but their task in creating impressive vocal support is a lot easier.

So if are to redevelop shortly lobby your club now! make sure you get it right cos its too late afterwards.

Talking of domes, has anyone actually been in the Berkley pub at the top of Park street? They've got a glass ceiling dome in there, and the amount of noise it echoes around is amazing. I wonder if any clever architects could use the same principles for echoing sound around the roof of a new East End?

Can be done as there are lots of modern materials which can now be used.

Must be getting old and wise!

But what strikes me is that ground structure really does encourage good vocal support. The reputation of fans as supporters can be profoundly affected by ground structure. Swap Pompey and Saints fans, and Wolves and Albion fans around for example - would their reputations as vocal supporters change too? Pompey and Albion are undoubtedly vocal but their task in creating impressive vocal support is a lot easier.

So if are to redevelop shortly lobby your club now! make sure you get it right cos its too late afterwards.

Very true!

Move the stands closer together at Molineux and the effect would be quite dramatic.

I think the current design for the new EAST END is a big mistake!!

While i am not a fan of exec. boxes i realise their importance for attracting big corporate money, but surely the people that will pay this money wants the best view and that is not behind the goal!!!

In my view the WILLIAMS stand is the priority for redevelopment, where far more boxes can be put in running the length of the pitch and top notch hospitality lounges and dining can be put in to maximise revenue!!

The EAST END could stay the same until enough money could be raised to build a single tier stand that could be left with unreserved seating to encourage the more vocal fans. If it is designed right it could join up with the new WILLIAMS and DOLMAN to create a bowl effect so the atmoshere is not lost!!!

If the club continues to be succesful then the DOLMAN could be replaced in the same style, leving a reduced ATYEO for away fans!!!!

It can be as dead as any ground to be honest, especially if the football is dire (hoddle era) and if the stewards over zealously make you sit down. Any club can have a little crew of singers who sing throughout, but to get nearly everyone in a stand that holds 5000 plus singing is more difficult. Its the old chicken and egg situation.....should the fans feed the players or do the players feed the fans.

Of course it always helps when you have a full away allocation, and when word goes round that opposition hooligans have caused trouble it makes it a bit spicier. But although i didnt think the singing came together too well from Wolves yesterday there was a real buzz, but this was really down to the football we played first half. It was quiet but tense second half as it can be anywhere like Anfield or the theatre (aptly named) of dreams.

maybe if more people actually sang at ashton gate then we would have to worry about any acoustics of the new EE.

We do have singers at Ashton Gate, however they're in the E block Atyeo, H block Atyeo, A&B block Dolman, H block Dolman and the East End. The problem is, there isn't anywhere for them to all congregate because virtually the whole ground is reserved seating.

The new East End should be unreserved seating, and whilst we're building a new stand, then surely the acoustics should be CAREFULLY taken into consideration because the stand is most likely going to be with us for the rest of our City following lives!

We can't be flippant with the new East End -IT HAS TO BE RIGHT!

I think the current design for the new EAST END is a big mistake!!

While i am not a fan of exec. boxes i realise their importance for attracting big corporate money, but surely the people that will pay this money wants the best view and that is not behind the goal!!!

In my view the WILLIAMS stand is the priority for redevelopment, where far more boxes can be put in running the length of the pitch and top notch hospitality lounges and dining can be put in to maximise revenue!!

The EAST END could stay the same until enough money could be raised to build a single tier stand that could be left with unreserved seating to encourage the more vocal fans. If it is designed right it could join up with the new WILLIAMS and DOLMAN to create a bowl effect so the atmoshere is not lost!!!

If the club continues to be succesful then the DOLMAN could be replaced in the same style, leving a reduced ATYEO for away fans!!!!

If the new stand does go ahead with the utterly unsymapthetic design for vocal support it will mean City may never have a real home end again in the traditional sense. Yesterday highlighted how a stand can nullify support despite fans attempts to get behind the team.

Archived