IGNORED

Political Correctness

newboy

From the main site...

He added: "I'm not trying to wriggle out of it. They are a few people discussing it at the moment, as I don't want to bring the club into disrepute.

The Police, the FA, Burton's shop window staff and the Obscene Gestures Committee are all sitting to see if it can be done."

I don't blame GJ for ensuring that he doesn't bring the game or the club into disrespute, but the thought that he has to consider the Police and the FA before exposing his buttocks...

Has everyone lost their sense of humour? Obviously not Gary - the Obscene Gestures Committee. :-D

In a similar vein a friend of mine was talking to his local butchers and the butcher told him that a lady has asked him to remove the carcasses from his window as it was upsetting her daughter....

In a similar vein a friend of mine was talking to his local butchers and the butcher told him that a lady has asked him to remove the carcasses from his window as it was upsetting her daughter....

I think the proper reply there was "Sure, as long as you remove yourself from my planet because your stupidity is upsetting me".

It would be a laugh if Johnson did do it.

But you can surely see why he might be allowed to do it?

I assume you mean not allowed to do it?

If so, yes and no. Yes in that certain members of the population would theoretically get upset.

But no in that in reality, people are far more liberal than the authorities' paranoia tends to believe and those in control restrict things for fear of lawsuits and the very vocal very tiny minority.

It's only somone's bum for heaven's sake, and it's only done in the spirit of fun!

Well it would be great if he could do it, but society today is based around the stupidest and the overly sensitive, not around the "normal" masses. Everything is dumbed down so stupid people don't get hurt and those permanently on prozac/vallium/etc aren't offended by everything. Lets hope this is allowed, we don't want gary being nicked for Section 4 Public Order or a sexual offence!!!

Stewart

Well it would be great if he could do it, but society today is based around the stupidest and the overly sensitive, not around the "normal" masses. Everything is dumbed down so stupid people don't get hurt and those permanently on prozac/vallium/etc aren't offended by everything. Lets hope this is allowed, we don't want gary being nicked for Section 4 Public Order or a sexual offence!!!

Stewart

what on earth are you talking about, an example or two may help

surely I am not the only person thinking that the phrase 'political correctness' is the most apt oxymoron out there

Welcome to otib, the official BCFC Headquarters of Political Correctness.

Sweet, innocent, ickle children are reading don't ya know? and what's more - WE'RE ENGLISH !!

but what is political correctness WTFiGO? sure I can ween a conversation about this out of you!

I'm sure wikipedia or the OED has a better definition, but personally speaking I take it as meaning when someone rephrases a message or bans well known phrases in order to avoid offending people who wouldn't have cared less in any case!

It's like the recent case of apologising for slavery in Bristol recently. No one in their right mind would think that slavery was good. We (surely) all think it was evil and caused destruction of families and cruel emprisonment of innocent people.

But some people, many of which weren't affected by slavery at all (e.g. not descended from those slaves bought to bristol) insisted that someone in the council should apologise for it.

The council quite rightly initially said that they'd condemn slavery, but couldn't apologise since they had nothing to do with the creation of slavery.

Not sure how it ended up, but it was all becoming total madness. Don't get me wrong - slavery was awful, but expecting unconnected people to apologise for something that happened generations ago is missing the boat somewhat and totally pointless.

Or the need to check with police and other parties in case someone may be offended by a humourous stunt where a bloke bares a small piece of skin in a shop window....

I think we should all stop hyping this up - it was a funny thing to say and that is it - God how sad are we that this gets this much coverage - if I were GJ and Liam I would agree a donation to Liam's choice of Charity as a swap and move on - honestly - we don't need to see it - the fun has been had - lets all leave it now - :disapointed2se:

You can go into any shop and browse 'lads mags' with tits, arse etc and all sorts, but not this, WTF? talk about double standards, who teh **** would it really offend? i'm mean come on be honest, who would it offend really?

We are scared to have a laugh in this country now, everyone is soooo serious, idiots.

I assume you mean not allowed to do it?

If so, yes and no. Yes in that certain members of the population would theoretically get upset.

But no in that in reality, people are far more liberal than the authorities' paranoia tends to believe and those in control restrict things for fear of lawsuits and the very vocal very tiny minority.

It's only somone's bum for heaven's sake, and it's only done in the spirit of fun!

He could get around it by having someone take a piccy of his threatened derriere, enlarging the photo, then stand in Burtons shopwindow holding the life sized photo against his backside...click,whirr,click,whirr :photo: ...the law would allow that I think.

but what is political correctness WTFiGO? sure I can ween a conversation about this out of you!

Can't tell if you're taking the piss or not young man.... I'll give you the benefit of the doubt...

To further newboy's analysis, I'd say it's something to do with the evolution of civilisation.

What was once deemed acceptable and even natural; racism for example, through education of the ignorant the message that hatred of a fellow human being due to the colour of their skin is utterly irrational has spread.

However, this in turn has invited 'dogoodism' so far that it has gone beyond the point of rationalism and is simply absurd.

imho, if no offence is intended, ie/the live showing at a Burton's near you of GJ's fat naked ass, then none should be taken.

In sum, I'd personally define Political Correctness as ''people being gay, man'' .

From the main site...

He added: "I'm not trying to wriggle out of it. They are a few people discussing it at the moment, as I don't want to bring the club into disrepute.

The Police, the FA, Burton's shop window staff and the Obscene Gestures Committee are all sitting to see if it can be done."

I don't blame GJ for ensuring that he doesn't bring the game or the club into disrespute, but the thought that he has to consider the Police and the FA before exposing his buttocks...

Has everyone lost their sense of humour? Obviously not Gary - the Obscene Gestures Committee. :-D

I dare say the way round it will be to hold the event "in camera" (to a selected audience of players and also millionaires who might be tempted to throw money at Bristol City? - viewing tickets £500, all receipts going to a Charity))

Can't tell if you're taking the piss or not young man.... I'll give you the benefit of the doubt...

To further newboy's analysis, I'd say it's something to do with the evolution of civilisation.

What was once deemed acceptable and even natural; racism for example, through education of the ignorant the message that hatred of a fellow human being due to the colour of their skin is utterly irrational has spread.

However, this in turn has invited 'dogoodism' so far that it has gone beyond the point of rationalism and is simply absurd.

imho, if no offence is intended, ie/the live showing at a Burton's near you of GJ's fat naked ass, then none should be taken.

In sum, I'd personally define Political Correctness as ''people being gay, man'' .

not taking the piss at all matey.

Just done a bit of research myself and there is a campaign against it on one site and another blames it for everything

Have you ever stopped to wonder why 40% of people don't bother to vote anymore? Have you ever stopped to wonder why, which ever party is in power, nothing ever gets any better? Have you ever stopped to wonder why all the three major political parties in the UK have broadly the same policies? The answer is simple - political correctness

http://www.politicallyincorrect.me.uk/

what a strange world

Going back to the original post, is it just me who thinks Gary was having a laugh ? And FFS there isn't REALLY anything called the Obscene Gestures Committee ! And nobody is "sitting" (:laugh:!) to see if it can be done, let alone the police. Jeez, you anti-PC types are like Pavolv's dogs ...

I pointed out in my original post that at least GJ has a sense of humour by referring to the OGC.

Whose to say he's not consulting with the Police and FA though?

I pointed out in my original post that at least GJ has a sense of humour by referring to the OGC.

Whose to say he's not consulting with the Police and FA though?

So you did - fair enough then !

But I still say that if Gary HAS been consulting with the police and / or the FA over this, then I will bare MY arse in the window of Iceland in Barnstaple High Street !

So you did - fair enough then !

But I still say that if Gary HAS been consulting with the police and / or the FA over this, then I will bare MY arse in the window of Iceland in Barnstaple High Street !

Better choose a different store, otherwise how will passers-by differentiate between your arse and promotional posters of Kerry Katona's face? (no offence meant to your arse)

Archived