IGNORED

Graeme Souness - New Wigan Manager

Tim S

OK, firstly I know this isnt DIRECTLY City related, but it kind of is with regards to our manager.

Graeme Souness will is set to be announced as the new Wigan manager in the next 24 hours, replacing the sacked Chris Hutchins.

This is good news for City, as Gary Johnson was one of the names floating about to do with the job, although it was never really mentioned too much in the media and to be honest, even if Wigan came in for him - I cant see Gary Johnson wanting to leave City at this stage.... unless it was for a massive club (ie - one of the major big boys in the prem rather than the Wigans of the world) or the England national team (as much as I rate GJ and think he would actually do a decent job as national manager, I cant see that happening anytime soon!).

I'm really pleased how well we are doing, but now everytime a manager in the Premier League gets sacked (well, the bottom half of it at least) and the more our great run continues, the more we are going to get squeeky bums regarding Johnson!

But at least with Souness about to get announced, we can breathe a sigh of relief for now!

Just for the record, here were the odds for the Wigan manager job as of Sunday afternoon. Betting on Graeme Souness has now been suspended!

Graeme Souness 4/7

Stuart Pearce 4/1

Paul Jewell 7/1

Martin Jol 10/1

Chris Coleman 12/1

Gary Johnson 20/1

Iain Dowie 20/1

John Collins 20/1

Glenn Hoddle 22/1

Aidy Boothroyd 25/1

Roberto Martinez 25/1

David O Leary 25/1

According to the Sun, Paul Jewell is the No 1 target.

He left because he wanted a break and parted on good terms with Dave Whelan and they have remained friends. Only stumbling block may be that he is likely to want Chris Hutchings as his assistant.

If they do not get Jewell, the next target is Stuart Pearce.

Souness is a possiblity but he is interested in the Republic of Ireland job.

And according to other reports, Gary Johnson is the right man to step up and stabalise Wigan :surrender:

http://www.sportingo.com/football/gary_joh..._step/1001,5632

NO NO NO NO NO!

Gary Johnson is a rubbish manager and has been very lucky in his whole career so far! He is massively overachieving and is relying on stupid comments to get results! The sooner people realise that the better!

(Think that will keep Wigan away from him???)

The only thing that Wigan has over us is they are in the prem, and possibly more money but then how many times has Whelan said there will be 20 plus million to spend and they never spend much?

Third season running i think. THey signed like 5 or 6 on free transfers. I can't see Johnson leaving us for Wigan, though i could see him leaving us for a club like Middlesborough. Yes right now they are not that good, but recently in europe, won the league cup, decent stadium which pulls good crowds, great youth system so it's an attractive prospect and it's only a matter of time before Southgate bites the dust.

But i can't see Johnson leaving, he's doing great here and as much as i rate him as a manager, i don't think he could turn Wigan round, i think they don't have anywhere near enough up front, defence is dodgey, midfield blows hot and cold, so it's not an attractive prospect and they'd do well to attract Jewell back. So i can't see Johnson leaving us for Wigan, might leave us for someone like Boro or Newcastle if them jobs come up.

Archived