IGNORED

Rememberance Sunday

bucksred

Just a thought for all of us.

On this day when we pay tribute to those who gave their lives in the Service of their Country, our Country, and those who were seriously injured, or crippled, or had their minds damaged, please take the time to thank those veterans, for the sacrifice they made so that we can carry on doing the things we can.

for all those that served, thank you for making those sacrifices.

And shake a veterans hand, or buy him a beer. without them, we wouldnt be here.

Great post Bucks, and thankyou for what you did too mate.

Me, Dolls, I was just part of a team, I was lucky, and didnt see active service.

THOSE guys are the stars. Chris Dunsmore, and all the others who fell, and the others who've been on operations like steve P38

Me, Dolls, I was just part of a team, I was lucky, and didnt see active service.

THOSE guys are the stars. Chris Dunsmore, and all the others who fell, and the others who've been on operations like steve P38

I agree, but it still means a lot that you WOULD have laid down your life if you were called upon.

I hear Jamie Cooper was hoping to be well enough to make it to todays events as well. Lets hope he did.

At least the war back then was for the right reasons, the more recent ones have been for I would say wrong reasons. Gordon Brown may not have been in charge when we went into either of these wars, but it was still his government that sanctioned it. So I guess he could be considered by some to be a hypocrite.

There have been civil wars going on in parts of Africa for decades and no one gives a crap about them, but then Africa doesnt have the largest supply of oil does it, or need to be "taught a lesson" by the Americans.

I still fail to see what either the Afghan or Iraq war have solved, but that shouldnt for one second take away any praise that is meant for our armed services who are just doing their job at the end of the day, right or wrong.

I'm getting off my soap box now, because I'm detracting from the heroes of the first two world wars, and the servicemen and women who have died fighting in more recent years.

Edited by Dollymarie

Yeah nice post mate. I personally love watching the service on the BBC, it's really patriotic and helps us remember the glorious dead who fought for this country.

I did hear that #### during the silence mocking Gordon Brown though: what an idiot. All these fanatical politics people have no self respect at some times. Apart from that it was a lovely service and I hope all will be remembered.

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!

Now there's hardly anything I like better than getting into chin-wags with random strangers. Out of all of them the Old Boys you meet who faught in the War are my favorate, they're always a little overwhelmed by my enthusiasm and gratitude.

There's a line from the Old Boy in Football factory ''We didn't go to war for this''..... breaks my ##### heart.

Obviously this is only one day and there's no way we can all personally thank each and every person who have put their life on the line for our *'freedom', as Winston Churchill said after WWII ''Never in the field of human conflict has so much been owed by so many to so few'' but what I think we should take from it is to try and make the most of our lives in freedom and get over our petty personal conflicts that are commonly based upon difference and misunderstanding.

Sermon over.

*'Freedom' used in the most common understanding of the word as this is an inappropriate place for a Philosophical essay or a rant against Political Correctness.

I watched the service live in the Beeb and i turned the volume up so it was really loud during the silence, then I heard one twonk in the crowd heckling Grordan Brown calling him a hippocrite..

ah so that was what that was about. did hear it. Peoplel that that are an utter waste of skin.

At least the war back then was for the right reasons, the more recent ones have been for I would say wrong reasons. Gordon Brown may not have been in charge when we went into either of these wars, but it was still his government that sanctioned it. So I guess he could be considered by some to be a hypocrite.

There have been civil wars going on in parts of Africa for decades and no one gives a crap about them, but then Africa doesnt have the largest supply of oil does it, or need to be "taught a lesson" by the Americans.

I still fail to see what either the Afghan or Iraq war have solved, but that shouldnt for one second take away any praise that is meant for our armed services who are just doing their job at the end of the day, right or wrong.

I'm getting off my soap box now, because I'm detracting from the heroes of the first two world wars, and the servicemen and women who have died fighting in more recent years.

Your'e so right about Africa Dolls, I lost two school mates in the bush war in Rhodesia, one was just 17. He must just have been out of recruit training, and died before he could live. Make that America, China, and Russia, none of them give a toss, in their great game.

The armed forces of any country just do their duty, and its good to see their sacrifice recognized, cos in the end its always the troops that pay the price of war.

I went to our local service this avo, and sadly apart from one other (WW2)vet, I was the only ex serviceman there, despite the very good turnout by local civilians. Sadly few of of us feel remotely valued for the efforts we put in. Especially those who've seen active service, and have seen a way different side of life as a result. I'm lucky, I don't carry any scars. Those guys do.

And shake a veterans hand, or buy him a beer. without them, we wouldnt be here.

The poppy is the recognized symbol of remembrance for war dead in the UK, the countries of the British Commonwealth, and the United States. The flower owes its significance to the poem "In Flanders Fields", written by Major (later Lieutenant-Colonel) John McCrae, a doctor with the Canadian Army Medical Corps, in the midst of the Second Battle of Ypres, in Belgium, in May 1915.

The poppy references in the first and last stanzas of the most widely read and oft-quoted poem of the war contributed to the flower's status as an emblem of remembrance and a symbol of new growth amidst the devastation of war.....

19760596-002.jpg

Flanderstext.gif