IGNORED

Safe Standing Govt Response

bobby

Not sure if this has been mentioned on here - government response published today in response to the Football Supporters Federation Report basically confirms existing policy and reaffirms commitment to findings of the Taylor Report. Letter written by Minister for Sport and available on DCMS website http://www.culture.gov.uk/Reference_librar...r_fsfreport.htm

They're basically saying "your arguments that it's not unsafe are going to be ignored because we think you'll be naughty boys if we let you stand".

It's quite frustrating that the policy makers are so unimaginative. They don't understand the difference between a positive correlation and cause and effect, same thing with speeding.

It's a right bugger that the football authorities won't get off their arse and add their voice to the debate, but I guess as long as the middle class keep pouring in the money it'll be ok for them.

Not sure if this has been mentioned on here - government response published today in response to the Football Supporters Federation Report basically confirms existing policy and reaffirms commitment to findings of the Taylor Report. Letter written by Minister for Sport and available on DCMS website http://www.culture.gov.uk/Reference_librar...r_fsfreport.htm

In the letter Gerry Sutcliffe 'Minister for Sport' - is he any relation to Peter Sutcliffe 'The Yorkshire Ripper'? - gives a mention to persistent standing. The answer to persistent standing is the reintroduction of safe terracing as in Germany and Ireland for instance. I totally resent the fact that my taxes are paying for the executive lifestyles of plutocrats such as Gerry Sutcliffe 'Minister for Sport' while our fellow football supporters are being subjugated and coerced into sitting quietly in all seater stadia. So much for political lowlife scum like Gerry Sutcliffe who are handsomely paid to represent us in Parliament when all they do is represent their inflated salaries and their own interests. :disapointed2se:

• SC&T Board Members

It's interesting in that reply, however, that they underline the fact that the law says the stadia have to be all-seater, but it's the ground regulations that say that fans have to sit and that responsibility for this lies with the clubs and local authorities.

I think people like the FSF should focus their efforts less on getting the politicians in Westminster to think outside of the box and more on getting a billionaire chairman onside, e.g. the guy at Newcastle, who prefers to wear his shirt and stand with the lads than sit in the directors' box. If one of these guys (Abramovich has also moaned about a lack of atmoshphere at the Bridge, and the yanks at Liverpool want to build a new 'Kop') decided that they wanted to change their ground regulations to allow standing in certain areas (and maybe install the appropriate seats with integrated crash barriers), they would have the clout in their local community to get the council onside. Once one club breaks the mould, others will see it can be done.

Did anyone expect any different from this bunch of Shysters? It needs a major campaign, and a bit of fear of losing seats (Edit - An unintentional pun!) before they will do anything sensible. Tell them that their poxy ID cards will make standing safe and they might look at it.

Did anyone expect any different from this bunch of Shysters? It needs a major campaign, and a bit of fear of losing seats (Edit - An unintentional pun!) before they will do anything sensible. Tell them that their poxy ID cards will make standing safe and they might look at it.

The self serving political plutocrats that are the Labour, Liberals, and Tories can stick their all seater stadia and their EU membership up their collective royalist arses - SIDEWAYS !!!!!! :winner_third_h4h:

The answer to persistent standing is the reintroduction of safe terracing as in Germany and Ireland for instance.

the point they seem to be missing is that persistent standing will never be got rid of....and this, in all seater stadia is MORE dangerous than having safe standing areas.

the point they seem to be missing is that persistent standing will never be got rid of....and this, in all seater stadia is MORE dangerous than having safe standing areas.

also says it is up to the professionals at the club how to best deal with the issue of persistent standing, in accordence to their risk assessment.

now by using this, if a club decides the best way to deal with persistent standing is to create standing areas with bars in front of the seats, then surely by quoting Mr Sutcliffe's exact words this would actually be allowed

Am i wrong??

EDIT...... can't type or spell

• SC&T Board Members
also says it is up to the professionals at the club how to best deal with the issue of persistent standing, in accordence to their risk assessment.

now by using this, if a club decides the best way to deal with persistent standing is to create standing areas with bars in front of the seats, then surely by quoting Mr Sutcliffe's exact words this would actually be allowed

Am i wrong??

EDIT...... can't type or spell

No, you're right - it just needs a change of ground regulations to permit standing. What I'm not sure of is how much freedom clubs have in drawing up their ground regs, and how much they are dictated to by the likes of the football league and local councils. However, none of these are as intransigent as Westminster politicians and as I posted above it should not be beyond the bounds of possibility for a powerful chairman at some club or other to persuade his local council and/or the football league to allow him to change his ground regs (if indeed he needs to consult them at all).

No, you're right - it just needs a change of ground regulations to permit standing. What I'm not sure of is how much freedom clubs have in drawing up their ground regs, and how much they are dictated to by the likes of the football league and local councils. However, none of these are as intransigent as Westminster politicians and as I posted above it should not be beyond the bounds of possibility for a powerful chairman at some club or other to persuade his local council and/or the football league to allow him to change his ground regs (if indeed he needs to consult them at all).

I'm not looking forward to sitting..but then again nowts happening with our new ground so all ok 4 the moment..agree with you lads though on the whole..

On Wednesday I got the following email from the Stand Up Sit Down (a campaign for safe standing at football grounds): -

Dear Stand Up Sit Down member

While it may not be immediately obvious, Stand Up Sit Down have made

progress over the last three years, in particular forging close links

with the Football Supporters Federation and forcing the Government to

back down on many absurd excuses they've previously offered against the

introduction of standing areas in our grounds. Plus Sky Sports News

covered the issue over two days and we held a second successful Safe

Standing Day at Wycombe Wanderers attended by fans from over 30

different clubs - and we managed to stand safely and add to a great

atmosphere.

Recently, we've spent a not insubstantial amount of time writing to

clubs who still retain standing asking for their thoughts on the issue.

We hope this new tactic will prove fruitful, indeed we've already

received positive responses

However, we still have a battle on our hands and with this in mind have

decided to relaunch SUSD next year with a new website, clear set of

objectives, plus other ideas still under discussion and that we hope to

implement with your help. In short, we can't do it on our own anymore!

We have supporters who help out in a couple of areas, but we really need

more of us on board if we want to continue and develop into a more

powerful lobby group.

If you think you can offer initiative, time, enthusiasm, ideas and any

professional skills that you feel would benefit us, please do let us

know by return.

If you'd like to help but really don't have the time you could assist

hugely by emailing us with the website address of the forum you use most

plus the email address of the editor of your clubs fanzine.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes.

The Stand Up Sit Down team

I replied to them but am yet to have a response, I will keep you posted. Meanwhile I am sure they will appreciate any support people can offer so if you want to play a part then email them at info@standupsitdown.co.uk .

Worth pinning?

all football fans (even g*sheads(if you can find any)) should unite and challange this nanny-state government over this - as well as the FA - its our game, not thiers.

in flaxbourton fair enough you wont find many gasheads just look for some in bristol and I'm sure you,ll see a few north of the river..give them a wave,they may wave back as well..!!!

This is my dream for the toff/snob political elite that misrule our country :winner_third_h4h: ........'T'off with their heads with the masses actually standing in an 'all seater' football stadium to witness and celebrate their executions !!!!!! :englandsmile4wf: ......

execution.jpg

Archived