IGNORED

Championship Football At Ashton Gate

OC 1645

I was looking forward to us playing Leeds United at Ashton Gate in the Championship and Leeds go and get themselves relegated. :noexpression:

How many of you remember this classic result against Leeds United ???!!!!.....

On Tuesday, February 19th, 1974, a Second Division Bristol City FC shocked the football world, when we beat Don Revie's all-conquering, topflight Leeds United side 1-0, at Elland Road, in an F.A. Cup 5th Round replay, thanks to Donnie Gillies' 73rd minute clipped shot. :winner_third_h4h:

To appreciate the magnitude of City's triumph you have to consider the following information:

Bristol City won despite performing in front of a fiercely partisan crowd of 47,182. Leeds' all-star team was packed with international players and going into the FA Cup tie were undefeated in 29 First Division matches !!!!! Leeds eventually won the League Championship by 5 clear points. :clapping:

Those were the days and I've put this post on the Leeds United Rivals message board for their perusal on the topic "leeds united-well done" by stokecity_potter Posted on 15/11/2007 at 21:28. Click on the URL below.....

http://boards.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=8...toid=2116120105

Up the City

I was looking forward to us playing Leeds United at Ashton Gate in the Championship and Leeds go and get themselves relegated. :noexpression:

On Tuesday, February 19th, 1974, a Second Division Bristol City FC shocked the football world, when we beat Don Revie's all-conquering, topflight Leeds United side 1-0, at Elland Road, in an F.A. Cup 5th Round replay, thanks to Donnie Gillies' 73rd minute clipped shot. :winner_third_h4h:

To appreciate the magnitude of City's triumph you have to consider the following information:

Bristol City won despite performing in front of a fiercely partisan crowd of 47,182. Leeds' all-star team was packed with international players and going into the FA Cup tie were undefeated in 29 First Division matches !!!!! Leeds eventually won the League Championship by 5 clear points. :clapping:

Those were the days and I've put this post on the Leeds United Rivals message board for their perusal on the topic "leeds united-well done" by stokecity_potter Posted on 15/11/2007 at 21:28. Click on the URL below.....

Up the City

I remember the game played in the fog at Ashton Gate........the ball was bright Orange!!!

What year was that?

Anyone know?

Slightly off topic, but read the link to the Stoke board on that thread.

The very best ever example of Fishing i have ever seen by Watford_Anne. Those Stoke folks are the thickest bunch of football fans that exist aren't they?? Absolutely hillarious.

That Leeds RivalsNet message board has to be one of the most lively and interesting on the Internet especially with Millwall and Stoke being among the regular visitors there. :innocent06:

Amazing how we beat Leeds 0-1 at Elland Road in 1974 and unfancied Hereford did the same at Elland Road in the replay last night - and there was me hoping we'd meet and beat Leeds in the third round of the FA Cup in January. :innocent06:

Up the City

Keith Fear lob from a Gerry Gow through ball in the home leg.

The replay kicked off in the afternoon due to the power crisis.

The Donnie Gillies winner was some how squeezed under David Harvey.

No....don't remember it.... :innocent06:

Someone said it was 76....I don't THINK SO....By Process of Elimination

74 I think...(73 Leeds lost to Sunderland in the final) and then lost to Bayern Munich in the European cup Final in 75...So must have been champions in 74 and they have never won the double...

Keith Fear lob from a Gerry Gow through ball in the home leg.

The replay kicked off in the afternoon due to the power crisis.

The Donnie Gillies winner was some how squeezed under David Harvey.

No....don't remember it.... :innocent06:

Someone said it was 76....I don't THINK SO....By Process of Elimination

74 I think...(73 Leeds lost to Sunderland in the final) and then lost to Bayern Munich in the European cup Final in 75...So must have been champions in 74 and they have never won the double...

We basically knocked one of the greatest club teams that English football has ever produced out of the FA Cup. Leeds United really were that good way back in 1974. :winner_third_h4h:

Up the City

I was there Gobbers.

Was a fantastic day and celebration (apart from the walk back to the train station :crying: )

Nice to see one guy commented what a s h i t e h o l e the mem is and at least there is one proper team in Brizzle!!!!!

We basically knocked one of the greatest club teams that English football has ever produced out of the FA Cup. Leeds United really were that good way back in 1974. :winner_third_h4h:

I was at Elland Road that day.

Leeds were top of the First Div. and something like 29 games unbeaten.

Wednesday afternoon game during the power crisis, no school so I stayed overnight with my brother in Liverpool and made our way to the ground.

About 47,000 there if i remember rightly, hugely intimidating atmosphere and by chance we ended up in the enclosure with the Chicken run to our right.

Didn't make a sound during the game as crammed in by hostile Leeds fans all around and couldn't believe it when City took the lead.

Far bigger scalp than Liverpool at Anfield in the 90's - Leeds were dominating English football and though widely despised were a fantastic team.

We were stood away from the City fans, apparently Leeds fans didn't take defeat well and heard numerous stories afterwards of City fans being attacked after the goal and as they left the ground.

Just an unbelievable result that stunned English football and put City on the front pages the next day.

I was at Elland Road that day.

Leeds were top of the First Div. and something like 29 games unbeaten.

Wednesday afternoon game during the power crisis, no school so I stayed overnight with my brother in Liverpool and made our way to the ground.

About 47,000 there if i remember rightly, hugely intimidating atmosphere and by chance we ended up in the enclosure with the Chicken run to our right.

Didn't make a sound during the game as crammed in by hostile Leeds fans all around and couldn't believe it when City took the lead.

Far bigger scalp than Liverpool at Anfield in the 90's - Leeds were dominating English football and though widely despised were a fantastic team.

We were stood away from the City fans, apparently Leeds fans didn't take defeat well and heard numerous stories afterwards of City fans being attacked after the goal and as they left the ground.

Just an unbelievable result that stunned English football and put City on the front pages the next day.

Ahhhhhhhhh the chicken run Nogbad.

Crikey i can remember that!

We were in the roundish corner right next to the Leeds fans, and when we all went in they went fekin mental.

Great big fence held them back, thenk god, but within about 6 feet of us.

When we scored, went mental, and they wanted to kill everyone of us!!!!

Ahhhhhhhhh the chicken run Nogbad.

Crikey i can remember that!

We were in the roundish corner right next to the Leeds fans, and when we all went in they went fekin mental.

Great big fence held them back, thenk god, but within about 6 feet of us.

When we scored, went mental, and they wanted to kill everyone of us!!!!

Arny and Nogbad thus witnessed one of THE GREATEST Bristol City FC results in the post war history of this football club !!!!!!!! For the football purist that Leeds United FC team of 1974 really was one of the best football teams English club football has ever produced. :englandflag:

Greatest result ever seen City obtain,was in the Leeds utd Kop end balanced on a wall could do that then. Me, my brother & 2 friends Don Gillies some how squeezed the shot past David Harvey went completely ape-s'#t as the ball came towards us and went into the goal. Some leeds lunged towards us others held them back saying leave them they are only kids. Apart from the 2-2 Coventry game never felt atmosphere like it.

Slightly off topic, but read the link to the Stoke board on that thread.

The very best ever example of Fishing i have ever seen by Watford_Anne. Those Stoke folks are the thickest bunch of football fans that exist aren't they?? Absolutely hillarious.

Must explain why they love Cluelis so much!

Greatest result ever seen City obtain,was in the Leeds utd Kop end balanced on a wall could do that then. Me, my brother & 2 friends Don Gillies some how squeezed the shot past David Harvey went completely ape-s'#t as the ball came towards us and went into the goal. Some leeds lunged towards us others held them back saying leave them they are only kids. Apart from the 2-2 Coventry game never felt atmosphere like it.

I wish I could have been at Elland Road to see that goal. I remember, literally, everyone back in Bristol talking about that result with excited astonishment. That result truely put Bristol back on the map as a footballing City and it was only 2 years before we were back in the top flight to play the likes of Leeds.

We thus beat Don Revie's Leeds in the fifth round and only narrowly lost 0-1 to Bill Shankley's Liverpool in the sixth round at Ashton Gate. Liverpool going on to beat Newcastle in the final that very season.

Archived