IGNORED

Basso

redsontour

...but to those people on the forum who don't feel Basso is a prem standard goalkeeper still have that opinion based on the the fact that the late Steve Mclaren had to choose between Calamity James, Dropsy Robinson and quite frankly C**p Carson?

I'm sorry, but I beg to differ. Basso may (very rarely) struggle with his kicking, but he is amzingly confident at crosses, is a fantastic shot stopper and probably most of all never looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights..

I still maintain, Basso will play in the Prem (with City! :fingerscrossed: ) or a top continental league...

Yes, because you know how Basso will play in front of 90,000 fans in a must win game.

Give over, 'Calamity' James hasnt been a calamity for the past 4 or 5 years, 'dropsy' Robinson hasnt been the same world class keeper since the away game to Croatia but he will regain confidence and his place under a new boss and Carson just froze when thrown in the very very deep end.

Basso is an excellent goalkeeper, but give over. He is nowhere near the standard of the three goalkeepers you mention.

Yes, because you know how Basso will play in front of 90,000 fans in a must win game.

Give over, 'Calamity' James hasnt been a calamity for the past 4 or 5 years, 'dropsy' Robinson hasnt been the same world class keeper since the away game to Croatia but he will regain confidence and his place under a new boss and Carson just froze when thrown in the very very deep end.

Basso is an excellent goalkeeper, but give over. He is nowhere near the standard of the three goalkeepers you mention.

No Rich, you give over...

'Calamity' James hasnt been a calamity for the past 4 or 5 years Since he stopped playing Internationals? in other words not a world class keeper

Robinson hasnt been the same world class keeper since the away game to Croatia What in gods name proof do you have that Robinson was ever a "World class keeper"

Carson just froze when thrown in the very very deep end Which surely means he is not a world class keeper?

Look at the rest of the prem and ask yourself how many "world" class keepers are playing in it? Answer...very few.

My OPINION is if you seriously asked me which prem keeper I felt would be a step up in class from Basso, my OPINION would be very few, ergo, my OPINIONJ is that Basso could make it in the premiership.

Out of interest, if he did get into the Brazil squad, would you then concede he was a premiership goalkeeper?

Basso makes minor mistakes that the likes of Robinson would be crucified for but that no-one picks up at our level. His kicking is poor and he's prone to mistakes from crosses. Good enough for us but not international standard, no way.

Err...my question was regarding premiership class...and prone to mistakes at crosses my a**e. ALL keepers are prone to mistakes at crosses. In fact, the stats for the top 5 prem goalkeepers show they actually make more mistakes than the top 5 championship keepers. Yes, against better players, but it is more about the fact that like outfield players they have to make an error every now and again, it's what that error costs.

I have always believed that keepers, bar a few exceptions, are a matter of choice and much of a muchness..but in Basso, we have the best we have seen down here for many many years.

Err...my question was regarding premiership class...and prone to mistakes at crosses my a**e. ALL keepers are prone to mistakes at crosses. In fact, the stats for the top 5 prem goalkeepers show they actually make more mistakes than the top 5 championship keepers. Yes, against better players, but it is more about the fact that like outfield players they have to make an error every now and again, it's what that error costs.

I have always believed that keepers, bar a few exceptions, are a matter of choice and much of a muchness..but in Basso, we have the best we have seen down here for many many years.

Alright, delete International class for Premiership class. I'm just thinking of situations like Wolves away where he dropped the ball with no-one near him and they would have scored if Orr (?) hadn't managed to block it on the line.

I agree, Basso is the best keeper I've ever seen play for City but then I've never seen us play in the Prem. He's a decent goaly at our level but the opposition regularly comment on our dodgy keeper and that isn't for no reason.

No Rich, you give over...

'Calamity' James hasnt been a calamity for the past 4 or 5 years Since he stopped playing Internationals? in other words not a world class keeper

No not since he stopped playing internationals, just in general. He has matured as a goalkeeper and keeping that many premiership clean sheets must stand for something. Im not saying he is world class but then this wasnt the argument.

Robinson hasnt been the same world class keeper since the away game to Croatia What in gods name proof do you have that Robinson was ever a "World class keeper" Proof? Ummm, you want forensics or something? Like you say, football is all about opinions. But in many peoples opinions backed up by champions league and european experience he can be classed as world class. His confidence has taken an absolute battering and as such his performances have dropped. Form is temporary, class is permanent.

Carson just froze when thrown in the very very deep end Which surely means he is not a world class keeper? Whats with this 'World Class' nonsense? Surely you are not suggesting that Basso is 'world class'? No Carson isnt world class but then he is only 22, 8 years of potential to catch up with 'Basso the Worlds Greatest Goalkeeper'.

Look at the rest of the prem and ask yourself how many "world" class keepers are playing in it? Answer...very few. Oh god, here we go again. Please dont tell me if Basso was in the Prem he would have to be labelled 'world class'??? :laugh:

My OPINION is if you seriously asked me which prem keeper I felt would be a step up in class from Basso, my OPINION would be very few, ergo, my OPINIONJ is that Basso could make it in the premiership.

Out of interest, if he did get into the Brazil squad, would you then concede he was a premiership goalkeeper?

If Basso ever makes it into the Brazil squad or as a regular premiership keeper then I will run naked onto the pitch at half time.

Basso is good, not 'world class' just a decent keeper. No better or worse then the likes of Billy Mercer or Keith Welch. To declare him world class is ridiculous. Brazils number two goalkeeper scores free kicks and penalties..................................

I am not for one minute slating bass, im just being realistic.

Please forgive me if I refuse to take you up on that offer...in fact I will concede Basso is rubbish if you promise NOT to run onto0 the pitch naked?

But he's not saying Bass is rubbish - no-one on here, and I doubt any City, even the one who sits next to me who used to hate Basso, will say he's a rubbish 'keeper. All we're saying is that he's a good, very good, 'keeper at our level, but once he moves up a step to the Premiership or Internationals he will most likely be found out more often.

He gets away with more mistakes than Robinson, James or Carson, Van Der Sar, Reina or Cech would ever make. But I still think he's improved a heck of a lot since he first joined us...

But he's not saying Bass is rubbish - no-one on here, and I doubt any City, even the one who sits next to me who used to hate Basso, will say he's a rubbish 'keeper. All we're saying is that he's a good, very good, 'keeper at our level, but once he moves up a step to the Premiership or Internationals he will most likely be found out more often.

He gets away with more mistakes than Robinson, James or Carson, Van Der Sar, Reina or Cech would ever make. But I still think he's improved a heck of a lot since he first joined us...

Agree 100%

Hes a good keeper in our league.

International standard he is not. I will (as some random guy said cant remember who that was :innocent06: ) Bare my backside in Burtons window if Basso ever gets a call up for Brazil!!

Agree 100%

Hes a good keeper in our league.

International standard he is not. I will (as some random guy said cant remember who that was :innocent06: ) Bare my backside in Burtons window if Basso ever gets a call up for Brazil!!

Cracking thread lets undermine our Goalkeeper right before the biggest game of the season so far...Good Idea :noexpression:

Basso good enough to premier league football? I hope so with us!

Longacre Reds bottom in Burtons window? A decent bet that costs me nothing....Good Luck with that :fingerscrossed:

Why though?

Does the ball fly and travel into the net differently in the League above?

From what ive seen the man makes good stops, controls his area and can kick the ball straight 8 times outta 10.

Cracking thread lets undermine our Goalkeeper right before the biggest game of the season so far...Good Idea :noexpression:

Basso good enough to premier league football? I hope so with us!

Longacre Reds bottom in Burtons window? A decent bet that costs me nothing....Good Luck with that :fingerscrossed:

How is saying he's a very good 'keeper at this level and that he's improved a lot since he's been with us undermining him?!?

All I've said is that he's not really as good as the top Premiership and International goalies. But then, that's probably why he's with us, and not Arsenal...

And who knows what might happen if he does keep improving?! It's highly unlikely he'll receive his first call-up in his mid-30's, but then stranger things have happened!

How is saying he's a very good 'keeper at this level and that he's improved a lot since he's been with us undermining him?!?

All I've said is that he's not really as good as the top Premiership and International goalies. But then, that's probably why he's with us, and not Arsenal...

And who knows what might happen if he does keep improving?! It's highly unlikely he'll receive his first call-up in his mid-30's, but then stranger things have happened!

But You actually said...but once he moves up a step to the Premiership or Internationals he will most likely be found out more often.

Yep lets undermine the guy with the heavy implication That in Your opininon he's playing at the highest standard he's ever going to achieve and be any good... Mr Motivation Red Mat! nah don't think so

I had a look at one or two definitions of undermine:

The one I liked is to weaken by Degrees.

This is a guy who's fundamental belief is based around his ability and desire to go all the way to the top....Commentary that implies this is unlikely or likely to lead to being 'found out' is undermining...However you're entitled to your opinion and I don't suppose Baz is going to read it or care to much (much like mine!)

But You actually said...but once he moves up a step to the Premiership or Internationals he will most likely be found out more often.

Yep lets undermine the guy with the heavy implication That in Your opininon he's playing at the highest standard he's ever going to achieve and be any good... Mr Motivation Red Mat! nah don't think so

I had a look at one or two definitions of undermine:

The one I liked is to weaken by Degrees.

This is a guy who's fundamental belief is based around his ability and desire to go all the way to the top....Commentary that implies this is unlikely or likely to lead to being 'found out' is undermining...However you're entitled to your opinion and I don't suppose Baz is going to read it or care to much (much like mine!)

Jees, talk about nit-picking and pedancy!

I actually, contrary to your contrariness, think he's a good 'keeper! What do you want me to say?! 'Bass, can I have your children?!'

Yes, I said he's more likely to be found out at a higher level, AT THE MOMENT. But I also said he may well still improve.

Let's be honest, Adriano Basso does not come on this site and think, 'Well, bless my socks, Red_Mat doesn't rate me because he thinks I'm currently playing as well as I'm ever likely to. I feel so undermined...'

No. Maybe if GJ had said something along these lines, that would be classified as undermining. But I'm in no position of responsibility or power to cause that feeling towards him. Now stop your moaning! Please.

Why though?

Does the ball fly and travel into the net differently in the League above?

From what ive seen the man makes good stops, controls his area and can kick the ball straight 8 times outta 10.

I think that we all know (or should know) that the ball flies and travels "towards the target" more often when being hit by Premiership forwards. So, yes the ball does travel differently as the finishing is cleaner and better. Lets not kid ourselves - if Basso was as good as or better than James, Robinson and Carson then Premiership managers would have flocked to AG and signed him up by now.

Basso is more than a good enough keeper for us - no doubt about that - but he ain't no Gordon Banks.

Please forgive me if I refuse to take you up on that offer...in fact I will concede Basso is rubbish if you promise NOT to run onto0 the pitch naked?

Dear oh dear. Where do I say he is rubbish? I dont, I'm just saying that he is a decent keeper for us but will not be a regular premiership keeper or brazilian international. Come on, Brazil are arguebly the worlds best team and they are going to take a 30+ year old ex Woking 'keeper to play for them?

That is hillarious. Basso - capable Championship 'keeper but please excuse me if I dont jump on the Basso is 'world class' band wagon.

Dear oh dear. Where do I say he is rubbish? I dont, I'm just saying that he is a decent keeper for us but will not be a regular premiership keeper or brazilian international. Come on, Brazil are arguebly the worlds best team and they are going to take a 30+ year old ex Woking 'keeper to play for them?

That is hillarious. Basso - capable Championship 'keeper but please excuse me if I dont jump on the Basso is 'world class' band wagon.

I think you are right. As much as I like Basso and what he has brought/brings to our club I cannot see him playing internationally or at a higher level than he is now. I think people are blinded by the fact that he is our keeper, if he played for say Plymouth or Leicester would we be raving about him then?

Basso is very positive and this must affect the other players around him. He truly believes he is capable of playing higher and has ambition and drive to succeed which is good to see. However, you do have to be realistic. I'd like to own a million pound house, have a string of successful businesses and but have accepted it will never happen, but what are dreams for!

I think you are right. As much as I like Basso and what he has brought/brings to our club I cannot see him playing internationally or at a higher level than he is now. I think people are blinded by the fact that he is our keeper, if he played for say Plymouth or Leicester would we be raving about him then?

Basso is very positive and this must affect the other players around him. He truly believes he is capable of playing higher and has ambition and drive to succeed which is good to see. However, you do have to be realistic. I'd like to own a million pound house, have a string of successful businesses and but have accepted it will never happen, but what are dreams for!

You could argue that he's already made a massive jump from non-league to the Championship. Why can't he continue progressing upwards? If he makes it to South Africa 2010 then I'm going to write Basso the Musical.

I had an email conversation with Tim Vickery (jouno who deals with S. American footie for the beeb) about Basso and his international chances.

Unfortunatly, due to the Championship having no tv or press coverage whatsoever in Brazil, coupled with the fact Basso never really played for one of the big Brazilian club sides, he has little to no chance of getting into the national team while at this level. Tim also pointed out that throughout europe there are scores of very very good Brazilian goalkeepers with high national profile, just not in england, so we get the impression that they are thin on the ground when they are far from it.

He did concede that IF Basso made it to the prem he'd be in a strong position in maybe a couple of years (ie. next copa america) due to the level of respect the English Premiership enjoys in Brazil, and that he'd be the single Brazilian Keeper there!

This isn't anyway knocking Basso's qualities, both footballing and personal, and we are lucky IMHO to have him in the team. I hope we can help him realise his dream and play for 'the selection'!

You could argue that he's already made a massive jump from non-league to the Championship. Why can't he continue progressing upwards? If he makes it to South Africa 2010 then I'm going to write Basso the Musical.

I can't argue about the progress he has made but wonder how much more can be made.

He must have something as he had a 3 month trial at Arsenal. If he does succeed he won't be the first player released by a club who has then gone on to play at a similar level. However, even for a keeper, his age will come into account when looking at the world cup and premiership clubs signing him.

Already looking forward to 'Basso The Musical', I hope you get to write it!

Basso the Musical? Thats a great shout. My local chippy could play Basso as he is the spitting image! Who could play flapper? Finding someone of a similar quality shouldnt be too hard as there are loads of games on the downs at the weekend, but finding someone with a similar attitude could be hard! Gary J could play himself I suppose, a starring guest role?

This could have legs............

Dear oh dear. Where do I say he is rubbish? I don't, I'm just saying that he is a decent keeper for us but will not be a regular premiership keeper or brazilian international. Come on, Brazil are arguebly the worlds best team and they are going to take a 30+ year old ex Woking 'keeper to play for them?

That is hillarious. Basso - capable Championship 'keeper but please excuse me if I don't jump on the Basso is 'world class' band wagon.

Jeez...The "rubbish" statement was expressing how far I would go to stop you running on the pitch naked, not an inference that you were calling him rubbish..apologies for the deepness of the quip.

As for your statement that "Brazil taking an ex Woking keeper to play for them" thats as relevent quite frankly as calling him " an ex Atlético Paranaense" player. He signed for Woking, big deal, Ian Wright was not even playing professional football until he was 22 and ended up with a pretty good record.

And no, I am not calling him world class, if you read any of my posts you'll find it was you, not I that raised the world class tag on of all players Robinson! but I certainly think the improvement he has shown in the time he has been here, and the pretty driven focus to succeed, mean he has the abuility and talent to play in the premiership, oh, and hopefully with City..unless of course City in the premiership is being unrealistic??

Was in the air a long time & I thought maybe Elliot was expecting him to come for it.

Him and the rest of the back four. That's been a problem since the Phillips era- the defense should ask that if they can solve the problem themselves, *then* the goalie.

Archived