IGNORED

Come On Then - Why Are We Losing Games ?

andy g

Whats changed all of a sudden to start us off on a three match losing streak ?

Were we just lucky in our first dozen matches ?

Have commitment levels dropped ?

Is there some tactical difference ?

Are there key individuals not performing ? (please try not to slag players off too much though !)

Is it just a run of tricky matches ?

Is it confidence thats taken a beating after ipswich ?

Have other teams worked us out ?

I suspect its a combination of all of those factors, but maybe you think that there is one key factor ?

Whatever it is, we could do with turning things around fast, but its going to be difficult with matches against Watford, Ipswich and an in-form Hull City coming up. I don't think we're in any real danger at the moment, due to our fantastic start. But, we cant allow this to continue too long.

Reasons why I think we are losing:

1. Teams are taking chances against us whereas they weren't in opening games apart from Barnsley.

2. We are creating even less than those opening games.

3. We lack a decent creative midfielder. Or GJ doesn't play him...

4. Our squad strength is weak.

5. Our forward line is very weak.

6. Confidence is very low.

To turn it around I think we need to:

1. Drop LJ and play Noble.

2. Get the players confidence back up- easier said than done.

3. Improve our playing squad- especially in attack.

4. Hope Brooker comes back soon.

But I think GJ will turn it around because he has done before and will do again.

Not trying to make to many excuses, But we certainly missed Macallister, and Orr and having to play Fontaine out of position well at least out of his best position didn't help, As much as Ilike Jamie Mcoombe, he really isn't cutting it at the moment.

Lee Johnson needs to be dropped for noble to come into the centre of midfield Johnson is so intent on passing back rather than trying to take on the opposition, and after all the midfield isn't really creating anything for the strikers so perhaps it is a little early to start criticising the strike force but apart from Byfield no one else seems to have much idea.

But lets face it there isn't one city supporter who would have expected City to be in a play off place at this or any other time of the season we have to accept that this is a learning curve season for us, and I am sure the Gary Johnson is probably learning as much as the players and he will get it right of this I am sure.

And as funny as football is we will probably get something out of our next two away matches, Hull and Watford, and then we will forget the past three matches and talk about promotion again. :dunno:

I think it's a combination of factors. I think goal scoring looks as if it will be a problem all season. I know GJ seems reluctant to try out Premiership reserves, but I hardly think the solution lies in lower league forwards (or a rejuvenated Brooker).

Having said that, the optimist in me wouldn't be too surprised to see us snatch an unexpected 1-0 against Hull.

:fingerscrossed:

Other teams are matching our workrate. They are containing Mac, Sprout and Elliott. With Mac, Sprout and LJ in midfield the defence has little cover and we are vulnerable to counter-attacks at pace. Early season buzz is missing.

In terms of bringing in new players, we are hindered by an overly large squad, and does GJ actually have any funds available?

Looking ahead, oil prices are sky high, there is a 'credit crunch', recession is looming large. How will all this affect attendances and revenues? What about the Academy? Is it producing nothing, or are opportunities blocked because of the large squad?

I suspect the truth is that we don't really have the players or resources to seriously challenge for the Premiership, and we should be grateful for the early season blip and realise that reality is beginning to hit home. Remember, 25 years ago, December saw us fall to 92nd in the League, so things are not THAT bad!

we're giving the ball away in midfield, with dire passing .... especially our vertically challenged 'playmaker'

fast aposing forwards, are making us pay for that, moreso than in the early games this season.

if we keep giving the ball away, were going to keep on suffering.

and with hull, watford and ipswich coming up ....... all teams with speedy forward lines .....

it going to be tough to get anything out of those next three games ......

but hey ...... i'm not a manager so what do i know ..

it could be a long miserable drive back from hull though .

:englandsmile4wf:

Not trying to make to many excuses, But we certainly missed Macallister, and Orr and having to play Fontaine out of position well at least out of his best position didn't help, As much as Ilike Jamie Mcoombe, he really isn't cutting it at the moment.

Lee Johnson needs to be dropped for noble to come into the centre of midfield Johnson is so intent on passing back rather than trying to take on the opposition, and after all the midfield isn't really creating anything for the strikers so perhaps it is a little early to start criticising the strike force but apart from Byfield no one else seems to have much idea.

But lets face it there isn't one city supporter who would have expected City to be in a play off place at this or any other time of the season we have to accept that this is a learning curve season for us, and I am sure the Gary Johnson is probably learning as much as the players and he will get it right of this I am sure.

And as funny as football is we will probably get something out of our next two away matches, Hull and Watford, and then we will forget the past three matches and talk about promotion again. :dunno:

Spot on.Yesterday we saw a very dispirited set of players. LJ needs to be rested and I am afraid our depth of squad is looking very poor.

We need another EXPERIENCED playmaker, and a forward who has experience in THIS division.

Other teams are matching our workrate. They are containing Mac, Sprout and Elliott. With Mac, Sprout and LJ in midfield the defence has little cover and we are vulnerable to counter-attacks at pace. Early season buzz is missing.

In terms of bringing in new players, we are hindered by an overly large squad, and does GJ actually have any funds available?

Looking ahead, oil prices are sky high, there is a 'credit crunch', recession is looming large. How will all this affect attendances and revenues? What about the Academy? Is it producing nothing, or are opportunities blocked because of the large squad?

I suspect the truth is that we don't really have the players or resources to seriously challenge for the Premiership, and we should be grateful for the early season blip and realise that reality is beginning to hit home.

Do we have the DEPTH of players to seriously challenge in THIS league ?

The problem is in the central midfield. We don't have an effective box to box, ball winning midfielder, a la tommy doc. Noble and johnson are creative and for me cole skuse is too lightweight. We got away with it in L1, but at this level when you lose the ball and can't get it back you get punished. Going forward we aren't keeping it long enough to get effective ball to the front men, result is we have no cutting edge up front.

Spot on.Yesterday we saw a very dispirited set of players. LJ needs to be rested and I am afraid our depth of squad is looking very poor.

We need another EXPERIENCED playmaker, and a forward who has experience in THIS division.

he's nopt experienced in this division, but it' sthe fact that he's not that might give us a chance of geting him. That's Billy Sharp at Sheff Utd. He seems surplus to requirements ( but that might change if Beattie is back of the prem in January) but he is just the sort of bloody minded striker who gets on the end of things that we could do with. He needs tjust one chance in a game, and if he comes here that's all he's likely to get at the moment.

The main problem for me is this

(1) If we play 4-5-1 we don't have a forward who

can play up front on his own

(2) If we play 4-4-2 our midfield looks very lightweight

L johnson and noble seem unable to do the business

in a four man midfield

If this is the case what do we need most

a forward able to play on his own

or

an all round midfielder

We have depth in that we have a large number of players, but not necessarily the quality. Personally, I would rather that we had a smaller squad with more quality, and if we have a few injuries, give the likes of Artus, Plummer, and Ribiero a try. As for midfield, as it looks like Skuse will be unavailable on Tuesday, why not recall Russell and go with Elliott, Russell and Noble?

Archived