IGNORED

Are We Too Middle Class & Too Nice?

Maesknoll Red

At AG, it's not the lack of noise I'm bemoaning, (although theres room for improvement) it's the lack of venom......

Yep, all those "nice people" clapping that #### Hollowhead for example..

Vitriol is good, and that bloody ref got off damn lightly too

Tis the way society's headed...

frustrating if you're male with a sense of adventure in the nature.

Stint in the Forces is the ultimate answer.

Sorry WTFiGO, many like em in the forces these days too. Only outfits like the Paras Marines and special forces are really hard core.

Bad idea puttin em in the forces.

Where I sit for example, at the back of Block E in the Atyeo, there's about 6 or 7 of us that are left from that group from around 15 years ago and we always try and get it going in there but never get any support. One guy in front of me, sporting 'Beast 23' on the back of his shirt has even had people resorted to writing letters into the club about the noise he's making! I mean, FFS what on earth is that about?! If that doesn't highlight the shift from working class to upper-middle class clientel of our home fanbase then I don't know what does. It really does my head in. ranting.gif protest.gif

I'm a few rows down from the back and there's a guy near me who sounds like he could be this 'Beast 23' bloke. Green shirt? I find this guy initiates most of the chants around me which only a few of us seem to pick up on, and even then for only a couple of verses. It really is a shame, I even remember as recently as the Sheff Utd game at home where the atmosphere was pretty hot, and I compare that to the Leicester game, where it was quite laughable.

Also someone made quite a generalisation about students earlier in the thread; I'm one, and go to games with a couple of others, and we aren't shy about joining in and voicing our opinions about the referee or opposition. Perhaps there are some who stay sat down for 90 minutes, but I'm not one of them.

Let's do something about all this then. Don't quite know what, is there nothing we can do to stop this decline?

I'm in agreement with you all. I started coming down about 15 years ago now and got hooked by the intensity of the atmosphere in the atyeo. It seems year by year it's got less and less intense to the point where I was more interested in away games than home games because we'd actually make some noise away! I remember Cambridge away in the LDV a number of seasons back and we sung 'red army' non-stop for almost an entire half! Now we're lucky if we get more than a couple of chants going in an entire match! But even now, having been to the Wolves away game, it seems I'm not missing much at away games either! I was so shocked that we were so quiet when there were so many of us. Trouble it's just going to get worse, and that's really really depressing. When I start taking my little lad I want him to be hooked like I was, never going to happen :( Gutting.

I'm a few rows down from the back and there's a guy near me who sounds like he could be this 'Beast 23' bloke. Green shirt? I find this guy initiates most of the chants around me which only a few of us seem to pick up on, and even then for only a couple of verses. It really is a shame, I even remember as recently as the Sheff Utd game at home where the atmosphere was pretty hot, and I compare that to the Leicester game, where it was quite laughable.

Also someone made quite a generalisation about students earlier in the thread; I'm one, and go to games with a couple of others, and we aren't shy about joining in and voicing our opinions about the referee or opposition. Perhaps there are some who stay sat down for 90 minutes, but I'm not one of them.

No, he wears the Black City away shirt and goes by the name of Damon. We all get the songs going in there but nobody ever joins in, unless we're winning.

So I forward this proposal. If people want to get the E Block going again, then come and join us in and around row U sort of area and back us up. There's always spare seats going so you don't need to alter your ST seat but why not give it a go for the Ipswich game next week and see how it goes. Any takers?

No, he wears the Black City away shirt and goes by the name of Damon. We all get the songs going in there but nobody ever joins in, unless we're winning.

So I forward this proposal. If people want to get the E Block going again, then come and join us in and around row U sort of area and back us up. There's always spare seats going so you don't need to alter your ST seat but why not give it a go for the Ipswich game next week and see how it goes. Any takers?

Think i'll enter this debate, as i sit in row u block e of the Atyeo too...i'm racking my brain to who you are now!

A few points to raise. Whilst the atmosphere wasn't that great this weekend, actually it was shite, we do have our moments and some games we do generate a good noise, especially when the whole stand joins in. Also i agree that there are some people around that area who as miserable as #### and if they do not want to contribute, there is a whole stand where they can go and sit and moan. (especially the ginger bloke two rows behind me, but i digress.)

On the subject of the 'beast', i actually think he's a bit of a prat. A simpleton. I apologise if he's a pal of yours, but this is my opinion. I'm as vocal as any fan, but the beast happily calls everyone in the stand 'part timer c***s' if his monosyllabic grunts aren't joined in with. I can understand why people are offended by him and i pity his children who will surely grow up believing this is the right way to act. I've been a season ticket holder in that row for 5 years, after moving from the dolman and there have been games when a fantastic atmosphere has been produced. One thing to improve in my opinion, would be to carry a chant on for more than one verse. Ole ole ole ole, bristol city, ole ole ole ole, bristol city. Then finish!

Keep singing relevant and funny songs, and i'll be with you all game! Just tell the beast to stop abusing fellow city fans.

There's an obvious answer for those that want to sing, but they want it both ways most of the time and opt to stay in the Atyeo or whatever.

I did once harbour hopes of an area in the ground where all so called singers could sit, but it's never going to happen/

When a new east end is built, this will happen...

On the subject of the 'beast', i actually think he's a bit of a prat. A simpleton. I apologise if he's a pal of yours, but this is my opinion. I'm as vocal as any fan, but the beast happily calls everyone in the stand 'part timer c***s' if his monosyllabic grunts aren't joined in with. I can understand why people are offended by him and i pity his children who will surely grow up believing this is the right way to act. I've been a season ticket holder in that row for 5 years, after moving from the dolman and there have been games when a fantastic atmosphere has been produced. One thing to improve in my opinion, would be to carry a chant on for more than one verse. Ole ole ole ole, bristol city, ole ole ole ole, bristol city. Then finish!

Keep singing relevant and funny songs, and i'll be with you all game! Just tell the beast to stop abusing fellow city fans.

I actually agree with you on all of those points. I'm only using him as an example of a singer who gets no support and a working-class man as opposed to the yuppies around us which, after all, is what this thread is generically about.

I often think he's out of order but then again I can understand his frustration as well. He isn't a pal of mine but give credit where credit's due, he's been to every home and away game this season and he shuts up when everyone's singing. I agree that the 'part-timer coont' things are well OTT but does that constitute letters in? That just shows the ganbase shift in there.

All he wants, like most of us in Block E, is for us to back the boys to the hilt. Saturday was a pathetic effort from the whole stand and GJ most definately has a point that we have a role to play in lifting the players sometimes as well.

If we could get all those people who want to sing in the Atyeo together, every game, then we could make a difference. The yuppies can sod off somewhere else for all I care because all I want to do on a Saturday is get down there, have a drink and back the lads. After all they acheived last season, that's the least they deserve IMHO.

For the record, I sit next to RedMat if that helps... :ph34r:

Not the guy I was thinking of clearly! Perhaps it might still be, but even so, I'm in row S, which is only 2 in front of row U. Sometimes I hear incessant swearing from the guy which is kinda irrelevant to the football we're all concentrating on. If you're being serious about moving a few of us up a couple of rows to join a few more chanters I'm sure me and my lads would be up for that, but can you sense the boys on the pitch noticing it? I think not, considering the silence that seems to come from the rest of the ground.

Our more aggressive supporters have been banned. Others are made to sit down and shut up or risk getting kicked out of the ground. We daren't even turn up drunk anymore for fear of reprisals from the zealots that are the stewards and the free loading football Gestapo Police. Supporting City aint the great experience it used to be as a result.

I agree and it don't help.But as reserved people we put up with it,at a place like Cardiff they can chuck bottles of piss and nobody dare say a word to their boys.At a more middle classed reserved crowd like ours they won't tolerate it, that's what happens when you try to run a football club like a theatre with a cricket man in charge..

Football is heading??? Sorry mate, but it's already there.

I've lost count of the times I've said that anyone under the age of about 30 has no real idea of what following football is about and what passion, hostility and atmosphere really mean. In the past you followed football because you supported your team, but also because it was exciting to go to a live football match. I haven't been excited about going to Ashton Gate for a good few years.

Cardiff away in 2000 (?) was the last real match i can remember which had all the elements of what going to football should be about. Terracing, excitement, hostility, atmosphere, singing from both sets of fans and (i know I'm going to get shot down in flames for this) a sense of danger. Not in a serious way, but you felt on edge, it was exciting, you felt proud that you were one of the few (or many on that day!) that traveled on the train to Cardiff, put up with the intimidation, gave a bit back and ultimately took all three points!!!

I don't think it'll ever be like that again.

Great post.

City fans were noted for how partisan they were in the eighties and really did give the opposition and officials a hard time.

Simply not true about being reserved.

It has been said in the past that we were partisan but only briefly,most notably by a police inspector trying to justify his actions when forcing Brentford to leave the pitch, after they had beaten City and were upsetting a few lads by warming down on the pitch.When I said reactive I refer to the fans reacting on mass, but we have been outsung out shouted and shut up by loud northern fans for as long as I can remember(with a few exceptions).Bristolians are reserved, thats why we get shat on from everywhere, and we put up with it, labour goverments,bus companies,arts council, our own councils, tory governments,chocolate manufacturers in fact everyone.

Ashton Gate isn't a fortress, more like a welcoming committee.

Even in what would have been areas of hostility, you have fans not beratting the officials for every decision against City, it matters not a jot, if the official is right when a decision goes against us, we as a crowd should be intimidating them into 'homer' decisions - we don't.

The opposition, the get some stick, but it isn't enough, it isn't carried on throughout the match, we fail dismally to create any hostile atmosphere at all.

Why?

I agree completely the gas have had 6 pens this season its time to start intimidating the ref to convince them to give us a pen.

Sydney v LA Galaxy, starring David Beckham.

This friendly match happened this tuesday evening in Sydney in front of " 83,000 " noisey screaming fans. Sydney won a physical encounter 5-3. Becks scored a signature 25 yard free kick and later said they were overwhelmed by the support and response for a friendly.

Ashton Gate is quiet compared to the old days and I was raised watching Atyeo and friends in the 1950's, very noisey indeed ! In recent years I've watched games around the world, but without a doubt, two matches pulling 80,000+ in Sydney and Melbourne have had the most noise, atmosphere and excitement.

Sure the kids are softies now, but there is a huge hard core of European immigrants downunder and football/soccer is alive and well in the far flung reaches of the Empire.

It has been said in the past that we were partisan but only briefly,most notably by a police inspector trying to justify his actions when forcing Brentford to leave the pitch, after they had beaten City and were upsetting a few lads by warming down on the pitch.When I said reactive I refer to the fans reacting on mass, but we have been outsung out shouted and shut up by loud northern fans for as long as I can remember(with a few exceptions).Bristolians are reserved, thats why we get shat on from everywhere, and we put up with it, labour goverments,bus companies,arts council, our own councils, tory governments,chocolate manufacturers in fact everyone.

That was when City got beat 2-0 by Brentford still remember it.

City rarely got unsung by anybody at home then and the roofless Park End often only had sparse away followings.

Think I disagree with virtually everything in your post as Bristol has quite a history of civil disobedience to things only really changing at the Gate in the nineties. Maybe i went to different games for years but the Dolman used to be a very different stand to it is now and had quite an edge to it.

Fans of BCFC clapped Holloway onto the pitch.........what is all that about!

Away fans in the East End is a joke.

Reserved seating is pointless.

Way to many do-gooders tutting at the first swear word or abuse given to the linesman etc.

When a song does start it fades within 10 secs.

We wait for the players to lift, when really it should be the other way around.

We are the library of the lower leagues!

Fans of BCFC clapped Holloway onto the pitch.........what is all that about!

Away fans in the East End is a joke.

Reserved seating is pointless.

Way to many do-gooders tutting at the first swear word or abuse given to the linesman etc.

When a song does start it fades within 10 secs.

We wait for the players to lift, when really it should be the other way around.

We are the library of the lower leagues!

Totally agree. Why are fans applauding Holloway, yes I have respect for him despite being a gas scumhead but, applauding him before an important game is crazy. Luckily I didn't hear this until I read it on the internet after the game, I was too busy aswell as quite a few in the EE trying to give him some abuse. We are far too nice, for big games e.g. Cardiff, Rovers, Forest etc we seem to step it up and get more agressive but apart from that its pretty rubbish from most of the ground.

Archived