IGNORED

Derby County

BITW

I know this isnt much to go by, but tuesdays press talk on the OS (setanta sports paragraph - bottom of page) describes GJ as a leading candidate for the vacancy at Derby and suggests they want formal talks with him. Just wondered what others would make of this...

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/page/WTPSDetail/0,,1...1176385,00.html

I saw that, too. I was hearing on Sky Sports News that there were three candidates - Ince, McLaren and a third unnamed assassin, sorry, I mean, candidate.

Can't see it being anyone other than the first two, to be honest. Ince would be a good bet, but has no Premiership management experience, and only about two years management experience in total. McLaren has proven himself at club level to be a competent manager and coach and does have a history with Derby.

GJ wouldn't get invited to Derby again after turning them down before.

Don't think Steve McLaren would be the most popular appointment just at the moment... Perhaps neither would Johnson, though. I've heard Billy Davies referred to as a "Decent Championship Manager" recently, the Premiership is definitely a different kettle of fish, and perhaps Derby will now appreciate this.

Don't think Steve McLaren would be the most popular appointment just at the moment... Perhaps neither would Johnson, though. I've heard Billy Davies referred to as a "Decent Championship Manager" recently, the Premiership is definitely a different kettle of fish, and perhaps Derby will now appreciate this.

If Derby have any sense they will be appointing a manager to get them promoted next season because even Mourinho wouldn't stop them going down this season.

It won't be Gary Johnson though. He turned them down once already.

If Derby have any sense they will be appointing a manager to get them promoted next season because even Mourinho wouldn't stop them going down this season.

It won't be Gary Johnson though. He turned them down once already.

I think with the right coaching they could potentially just about do it. Their squad is not far away from being able to perform at the level of the current Middlesbrough or Sunderland, and possibly Wigan. Who would come to them with that ability is questionable though.

The guy who mentioned Middlesbrough and Wigan has a fair point. Not many of their players would be considered 'better' on form than Derby's. If Derby went for GJ I would be absolutely speechless. There are many other more 'likeable' or 'desireable' candidates, I suppose, out there. For now, I'm glad GJ isn't one of them. Ince or SMc for the job (as if I care).

The guy who mentioned Middlesbrough and Wigan has a fair point. Not many of their players would be considered 'better' on form than Derby's.

I'd say Middlesbrough have far better players. Downing, Tuncay, Mido, Woodgate, Boateng and at least 3 others would walk into Derby's side. Wigan's players aren't much better than Derby's but that's why they will finish second bottom.

Derby aren't going to find one club worse than them this season even if God himself took the job let alone three.

OF course, virtually every team in the Premiership (well, scrap the virtually) has a better team than Derby. I didn't want to turn this City forum into a debate about Derby, but I think me and may other will consider them doomed after a third of the season. Who would be attracted to them conisdering their current plight? Personally I'm concerened to see McLeish going to Birmingham. All about money and managing in the big time for a couple of months.

Archived