IGNORED

Do We Need To Buy In January?

mozo

This squad has done us proud so far, there's no disputing that.

I put it to you that we should not buy for the following reasons:

We will probably have all but sealed survival by February.

&

The current trend of financial ruin amongst our rivals suggests that expenditure should be minimised.

&

Our current squad is still settling at this level and many players deserve a further chance to prove themselves. Don't forget the promising youngsters waiting to make a name for themselves.

Any other reasons out there? Counter-arguments?

Counter arguments:

- A sensible signing or two could be the difference between playoffs and not making them - in which case they may well pay for themselves. I'd be happy with avoiding relegation but if the chance is there to genuinely have a pop at promotion we should try to take it.

- Other clubs finances aren't relevant - only ours are.

- I suspect some players will be leaving in January, particularly those on loan.

- We've been lucky with the rarity of injuries so far and lack cover in a couple of areas (left back, left wing, central midfield).

I think we'll see four or five players (JMW, Jevons, Keogh, Betsy, Russell, possibly Showunmi) leave and one or two come in. I'd be happy with that provided they're an improvement in terms of quality.

think their is positons at the club that do need making stronger, maybe not as a direct first player, but to add competion,

Liam Fontaine has done well at Left Back but is a much better player at Centre-Half and would prefer him in that position, definatly considering McCombe's form to date, after McAllister is seems to be finding this division tough and is constantly getting bookings for silly fouls, so I'd try to get in a left back to push Jamie McAllister.

Again, Right Back, Orr has done well, but hasn't been totally convincing, Wilson unsure about in that positon to be honest and prefer him in attacking positions on either wing, after Orr we don't have much in the way of Right Back's hence why Skuse played there against Leicester

Finally, Central Midfield. in Johnson and Noble we have 2 decent midfielders, unfortunately Johnson's form can be very up and down and he only really excels when playing alongside Noble, which means having to play a 5man midfield, which despite tonight and last season, I'm not a fan off, Noble can't play the central midfield role alone alongside Elliott, because to be blunt, his fitness is shocking and he just can't last 90mins, at this level you can't afford to carry people constantly.

for that reason I'd look to bring in a creative central midfielder,

Above all though any signings must be the same as per prior GJ signings and have the right mentality and be at the right price and I wouldn't go breaking the bank in any positon.

considering we are likely to see players such as Betsy, Jevons, Russell, Keogh and maybe one or two others leave, between transfer fee's and free'ing up the wage bill, we could be able to bring in a couple of players without upsetting the finances or current squad

Counter arguments:

- A sensible signing or two could be the difference between playoffs and not making them - in which case they may well pay for themselves. I'd be happy with avoiding relegation but if the chance is there to genuinely have a pop at promotion we should try to take it.

- Other clubs finances aren't relevant - only ours are.

- I suspect some players will be leaving in January, particularly those on loan.

- We've been lucky with the rarity of injuries so far and lack cover in a couple of areas (left back, left wing, central midfield).

I think we'll see four or five players (JMW, Jevons, Keogh, Betsy, Russell, possibly Showunmi) leave and one or two come in. I'd be happy with that provided they're an improvement in terms of quality.

after the last 2 games, I don't think there is a chance in hell that Enoch will be leaving anytime soon, even if Brooker does get fully fit, I'd doubt he is going to risk letting him leave as we know full well what the chances of him breaking down again are.

plus on current form.......he's first choice striker

after the last 2 games, I don't think there is a chance in hell that Enoch will be leaving anytime soon, even if Brooker does get fully fit, I'd doubt he is going to risk letting him leave as we know full well what the chances of him breaking down again are.

plus on current form.......he's first choice striker

Enoch is out of contract in the summer and I suspect if a deal is not on the table in January there's a decent chance he will be off. I'd say the chances of a new deal are hanging in the balance and I think it will take much, much more than two games to see him still here.

You could perhaps interpret his last couple of performances as playing for a new deal? They were certainly much better than anything he's produced since this time last year. I was impressed tonight and delighted with the applause he got on being subbed, but he had half a season of mediocrity after December last year.

I like Enoch alot, and i think he's taken his chance really well since coming back in. But he's got to maintain it, and if he does he should get a deal. But that deal shouldn't be more than a year or two and it's up to him whether he's happy with that or not.

Our signings last January helped seal us promotion, Wilson and Betsy enhanced the squad no end. While both have their critics i much preferred having them in the team to JMW.

I think we'll only sign players who have 6 months left on their deals and would move in the summer. Should we? Well basically the sitting on the fence and obvious answer is, if the right player is available, absolutely. We shouldn't buy players for the sake of buying players but again that's obvious.

We do need cover for McIndoe but i don't want to sign bench players, and i'd like a top quality fullback or two but i don't want to disrupt the harmony of the team.

Dunno, fence sitting is my preferred stance here.

We've got Tamas Vasko in the wings who could potentially become a signing if he ever gets a chance to prove he's worth it.

Might not be terrible to take on a EPL loanee with a view to future signing if the right thing came available but I'm sure Gary Johnson will be doing whats best whatever that happens to be.

Lat summer GJ said his squad had to get bigger in terms of numbers - if the likes of JMW Keogh Jevons Betsy leave then we will have to replace them - whether they go in January or in the summer is probably down to the players themselves and/or whether we can get a repalcement for that position.

In addition to replacing these players we need a left back to challenge McAllister.

We have all been saying we need a goal scorer for these reasons:

League Goals

Byfield 5

Orr 3

McIndoe 3

Elliott 3

Trundle 3

Murray 3

Sproule 1

Showunmi 1

Wilson 1

Fontaine 1

Johnson 1

Noble 1

20 games into the season and our out and out strikers have 9 goals between them, midfield have got 13 and defense 4 - so expect a striker as target too.

Yes the club has been doing very well up until now but contracts expire, players expectations change, management views of players change etc... etc... the club get two chances per year to change their squad and January is the time to reflect and improve our squad and maintain it's depth.

I would bring in one or 2 players. Not sure what positions but make sure they are in key areas. Possibly bring in a right back as cover but who also can challenge Bradley Orr for his place. Also someone else who can take Noble's place when he is injured/suspended. We've still got Brooker to come back (hopefully) from injury in a few weeks so that should be like the proverbial new signing.

Offload 3, maybe 4 to leave room on the Wage bill.

Enoch is out of contract in the summer and I suspect if a deal is not on the table in January there's a decent chance he will be off. I'd say the chances of a new deal are hanging in the balance and I think it will take much, much more than two games to see him still here.

You could perhaps interpret his last couple of performances as playing for a new deal? They were certainly much better than anything he's produced since this time last year. I was impressed tonight and delighted with the applause he got on being subbed, but he had half a season of mediocrity after December last year.

that's the thing, I don't think it is worth even considering letting him go for the measly fee we would get for him, I'd keep him till the end of the season and let him keep playing for his new contract if that is the effort and performance he's going to try to put in between now and the end of the season, then we should encourage it and not consider flogging him for a 100k or so.

thing is with City and we have seen it plenty of times before, they won't actually offer a new contract till right at the end of the season and Enoch no doubt knows that.

Just think what we could do after january with a an established CCC, 20 goal a season, out and out striker!

easy to say, however,

find one who performs like that and isn't already being signed by premiership clubs?

then find one like that who costs less than £3m+

you just have to look at the decent strikers in this division from last year and see where they are? Chorpa, Kenwyne Jones, Nugent, Bendter?

those sorts of players are out of reach for us,

even the ones who scored 20 goals a season in League one, go for silly money, Sharp, Varney etc.........even Trundle cost £1m and he's 31 now,

unfortunately it's a case of make do with what we have up front I think and with the 4 forwards at the club when fit, I think we will be ok.

Ribiero gets rave reviews, many premiership teams are playing their own young ex academy players ....

surely its worth giving these youngsters a chance before spending what will be millions on back up players .

we're maybe 16 points from being safe with 26 games to go .......

if we reach that target with 10 games left, then blood the youngsters ....... that way GJ, will know for definate who can step up, and where he needs to buy for next season.

:englandsmile4wf:

Ribiero gets rave reviews, many premiership teams are playing their own young ex academy players ....

surely its worth giving these youngsters a chance before spending what will be millions on back up players .

if we reach that target with 10 games left, then blood the youngsters ....... that way GJ, will know for definate who can step up, and where he needs to buy for next season.

agree in some ways, personally though, I don't think Johnson is stupid enough to be spending millions on back up players, if he spends that kinda money it will be on players who are much better than what we have,

personally I'd carry on looking at the lower league's and look for the promising youngster coming through and see if they are as good as what we have in the academy,

won't go mad at all on any player during jan, UNLESS, Preston are willing to sell us Matt Hill back :fingerscrossed:

we are 16 points from being safe, but while there is still a chance we could actually hit a top 6 finish I wouldn't be blooding any youngsters.

Another problem is at this level, the difference in prize money in finishing say top 10 and top 18 is massive, so I'd imagine we will keep fighting until the last few games

those sorts of players are out of reach for us,

I agree with the general thrust of what you're saying particularly when you look at the fact that no promoted side had anyone that scored over 16 in this league last year.

However, I think if we put in a loan bid for someone at the sort of level Bendtner was before he joined Brum last year we could have a bit of luck. I mean a younger talented player looking for a chance to play good first team football. Fraizer Campbell on loan from ManU at Hull is a good example of this. There are players like Dong at ManU and Jutkiewicz at Everton in this category. We could even try a cheeky loan bid for an out of favour player like Vassell.

WR, the only thing is that while you are looking at surviival, what if we are in the same position come January that we are today i.e. just 1 point off 2nd place?

Do GJ and SL decide that we have a realistic chance of promotion and reinforce the team/squad accordingly, or do they concede that we couldn't possibly acheive it this season and therefore decide to use the second half of the season to blood younger players? How would fans respond if they think we could challenge for promotion but do nothing to reinforce the team with new players - would they think we have capitulated, if the second half of the season becomes an glorified trial for younger players?

Let's hope it's a problem the management have to consider in the new year.

Despite my repeated defence of Lee Johnson, we must buy a central midfielder to put pressure and provide cover. I think this should be our number one target. I don't think we'll go for a striker, maybe a left sided player would be a useful addition too. Not too much work to do in january though... :fingerscrossed:

Despite my repeated defence of Lee Johnson, we must buy a central midfielder to put pressure and provide cover. I think this should be our number one target. I don't think we'll go for a striker, maybe a left sided player would be a useful addition too. Not too much work to do in january though... :fingerscrossed:

Disagree. Elliott, Johnson, Skuse, Noble, Russell and Artus will do just fine.

Totally agree!

Do GJ and SL decide that we have a realistic chance of promotion and reinforce the team/squad accordingly, or do they concede that we couldn't possibly acheive it this season and therefore decide to use the second half of the season to blood younger players? How would fans respond if they think we could challenge for promotion but do nothing to reinforce the team with new players - would they think we have capitulated, if the second half of the season becomes an glorified trial for younger players?

Let's hope it's a problem the management have to consider in the new year.

Can we afford to speculate, but then fail to accumulate? And judging by the season so far, the play-off bid is well on course. Our young players need to prove themselves sometime, surely that should be when the current first-teamers are injured?

Re: The 20-goal striker...

Can we really afford anyone who comes under this category?

I'm currently struggling to decide which of the current bunch should be left out...Trundle is classy but lacks goals, Showumni is a potent target man, Byfield has scored 5 from few appearances which normally would warrant inclusion, Brooker yet to be tried out, Plummer the protege with skill and pace waiting for a go...give them more than twenty games of constant deck-shuffling before you bring yet another one in!

Re: Centre Mid...

Johnson and Noble contesting one spot is good competition. Skuse and Artus waiting in the wings. Any more and the youngsters may as well give up.

The current pair are doing pretty well so far!

Yeah the squad has done us proud and been great so far but I'm still a little worried about the lack of goals our strikers are scoring so maybe a striker would be good. Also maybe a left back and right back but only as cover for Jamie and Bradley

NO!!

don't buy a player only for cover

Only buy a player if hes better than what we already have

I think we need another left sided player

also a forward who can play up front on his own

Only buy a player if hes better than what we already have

I think we need another left sided player

So you want a left-sided player that is better that McIndoe?

What affordable options are there, bearing in mind he's good??

Or do you mean a new left-back?

GJ does have his second first team, as he calls them.

Weale

Ribiero J Wilson Vasko Slocombe.

Betsy Artus Skuse Wilson B

Brooker Plummer.

That still leaves the oldies Murray and Russell.

Of the above GJ has said that Ribiero and Artus are close to selection. Brooker should be ready by January giving GJ two full teams to select from.

From 4th in the Championship and with the players who put us there knowing our other first team is breathing down their necks, buying may not be an issue. My main concern is, will GJ break down and give Artus or Ribiero a chance rather saying they are very close to selection.

GJ does have his second first team, as he calls them.

Weale

Ribiero J Wilson Vasko Slocombe.

Betsy Artus Skuse Wilson B

Brooker Plummer.

That still leaves the oldies Murray and Russell.

Of the above GJ has said that Ribiero and Artus are close to selection. Brooker should be ready by January giving GJ two full teams to select from.

From 4th in the Championship and with the players who put us there knowing our other first team is breathing down their necks, buying may not be an issue. My main concern is, will GJ break down and give Artus or Ribiero a chance rather saying they are very close to selection.

That's a pretty sound argument, because City face six League fixtures in twenty-four days from Saturday and will require plenty of cover to cope with inevitable

injuries, which could force Johnson into blooding Ribeiro and/or Plummer. I still see a place for Russell in the engine room, especially if the heavy schedule takes its toll on Noble and we wish to retain what is essentially a five-man midfield.

The other problem lurking on the horizon is suspensions. Fontaine is a single booking away from a one match ban and both Carey and Byfield have totted up three yellows.

Returning to the main question, we need a pacy striker and an ugly brutish accomplice who are good enough to start matches, plus a creative central midfielder.

I'm off to write my letter to Santa.

That's a pretty sound argument, because City face six League fixtures in twenty-four days from Saturday and will require plenty of cover to cope with inevitable

injuries, which could force Johnson into blooding Ribeiro and/or Plummer. I still see a place for Russell in the engine room, especially if the heavy schedule takes its toll on Noble and we wish to retain what is essentially a five-man midfield.

The other problem lurking on the horizon is suspensions. Fontaine is a single booking away from a one match ban and both Carey and Byfield have totted up three yellows.

Returning to the main question, we need a pacy striker and an ugly brutish accomplice who are good enough to start matches, plus a creative central midfielder.

I'm off to write my letter to Santa.

I would like to try a midfield of Elliot and Artus. Size, pace can tackle and score. Noble/Trundle as ball players and Skuse available to close things down That gives us LJ and Russell as cover. GJ has some good combinations and formations available.

Ribiero may possibly get a run if Orr gets a red card suspension. Plummer would be behind Trundle, Byfield, Showumni and Brooker, plus he needs to grow a bit

Archived