IGNORED

Risdale Fears For Cardiff Future

Barrs Court Red

It's all brinkmanship, expect an 11th hour deal between the club and Langston. That's my take anyway

Cardiff City chairman Peter Ridsdale has warned that the imminent court case brought by creditors Langston could force the club into administration.

The Swiss-based firm is Cardiff's biggest creditor and is taking the club to the High Court on Monday.

Langston is owed £30m which it wants repaid now, but Bluebirds officials insist the sum is not due until 2016.

"If we were to lose we would go into administration - it's a straightforward situation," Ridsdale said.

Cardiff do not have the immediate funds to repay the loan notes to Langston, meaning if the club loses the legal argument it will have no choice but to enter administration.

With Cardiff hovering just above the Championship relegation zone, entering administration would likely condemn the club to a drop into League One.

Under Football League rules any club entering administration is automatically deducted 10 league points.

"The club's Championship status would be determined by the amount of points we collect come the end of the season, minus 10," Ridsdale added.

Entering administration could also derail Cardiff's building of a new stadium at Leckwith to replace their aging Ninian Park home.

The club were given the green light to go ahead with the construction of a new stadium, along with a new athletics facility, on the old Leckwith Athletics Stadium site, after Cardiff City Council agreed to give the project unconditional funding status in May.

However, that status could be withdrawn if Cardiff City lose the court case and go into administration.

"In terms of the stadium, it would depend who buys the football club and whether they prove to be an acceptable partner for the council and whether they have got enough money to finish the stadium off, which would probably be about £20m," Ridsdale added.

However, Ridsdale remains confident that Cardiff will not lose the case.

"I met with the board and our lawyers in London on Tuesday to discuss what the state of play will be on Monday," he said.

"I'm confident and I've always been confident."

Archived