IGNORED

First Time Poster, Finally Had Enough Of Lee Johnson Criticism

redordead1

I've been visiting this board for quite some time now and it has obviously taken a lot for me to get this riled to post. Whilst I'm certainly not claiming to be his mate, as someone who has spoken to Lee and his mates on a number of occassions I just wanted to make something stone clear for all of the Lee Johnson doubters/slaters. You couldn't wish to meet or find a more decent, grounded professional footballer than Lee Johnson, and whilst I would uphold the right of every paying city supporter to have the right to air their opinions and criticise our boys at times, (God knows i've done it enough myself), I think that we should all be aware that on this particular occassion, Lee faces pressures that other players couldn't imagine.

He knows the constant criticism he receives and does truly take it to heart. He's in a no win situation and I just think that with the club in the position we're in, we are absolutely crazy to try and mentally affect one of our key players. It can only have a negative effect and it's got to stop. Regardless of your own personnal opinion of him, at this stage we all need to pull in the same direction and hopefully Reading's reported interest in him will make some of the doubters realise that there is a genuinelly good footballer in our midfield and not just someone filling the gap because he's the managers son..

First of all welcome. Secondly, I'm sure you will find many will disagree with your post (who knows maybe ill be proved wrong, I would love to be) I for one couldnt agree more. I do feel for Lee when i watch him at the gate. He is slated for the slightest mistake for which others would be applauded for and branded unlucky. At matches, I cannot stand the morons around me who scream constant abuse at Lee. In my opinion he is without doubt one of our most effective players who can change the game in an instant, there are those on here like me who defend Lee but also an awful lot who don't. Anyway, thats me done for now...

BRING ON THE BAAAA-DIFF

fair play.

All i ask is that he don't take things to heart and stand up and give the attitude of right i'll prove you doubters

wrong, the player has got the tools in his tool box but needs to show it more consistently

and roll his sleeves up and prove he can be a city legend, his dad came through a period

of stick at one time so lets see if he is a chip off the old mans block.

He played well at plymouth now take it to cardiff thats where we need him on form

and a goal in that game will do him the world of good.

100% correct.

The number of times I hear people criticizing him as soon as he does something wrong and then saying 'oh what a great ball' a few minutes later is beyond belief.

Supporters support players, not have a dig at players. Going back to the point, he is an easy target because he is the son of the manager.

I've been visiting this board for quite some time now and it has obviously taken a lot for me to get this riled to post. Whilst I'm certainly not claiming to be his mate, as someone who has spoken to Lee and his mates on a number of occassions I just wanted to make something stone clear for all of the Lee Johnson doubters/slaters. You couldn't wish to meet or find a more decent, grounded professional footballer than Lee Johnson, and whilst I would uphold the right of every paying city supporter to have the right to air their opinions and criticise our boys at times, (God knows i've done it enough myself), I think that we should all be aware that on this particular occassion, Lee faces pressures that other players couldn't imagine.

He knows the constant criticism he receives and does truly take it to heart. He's in a no win situation and I just think that with the club in the position we're in, we are absolutely crazy to try and mentally affect one of our key players. It can only have a negative effect and it's got to stop. Regardless of your own personnal opinion of him, at this stage we all need to pull in the same direction and hopefully Reading's reported interest in him will make some of the doubters realise that there is a genuinelly good footballer in our midfield and not just someone filling the gap because he's the managers son..

Quite agree Sir. I myself have recently posted on this subject and the prepensity of City fans to attack certain players for no very good reason, particularly when the club is doing well (perverse isn't it!).

Good Luck to Lee and I hope to see you post more often

We all love little Lee at heart, and I'm sure everyone is content when he has a good game. I want him to succeed , and understand why alot of people like him. He is a flair player who can turn games which is exciting to watch.

We can't complain at the moment, because his Dad is picking the team and we are exceeding all expectations.

Supporters support players, not have a dig at players. Going back to the point, he is an easy target because he is the son of the manager.

It does appear to be the case, but why? its not as if the manager's name is Pulis.

I fully agree, the criticism that Lee sometimes gets is shocking, and certainly unwarranted. We all have a groan when a player gives the ball away but we always seem to have had more than our fair share of CHAV support who take great joy in personalising things. Some of the morons who spout all this abuse to Lee (and many other players over the years) are the type who'd firebomb your house if you accidentally nudged their drinking arm in the pub! :disapointed2se::bruce_h4h:

Lee, if you are reading this (or your mum wrote the first post here) then don't despair. The silent majority are behind you. It's just those who have nothing else to moan about now we are doing well, are using you as the convenient whipping boy, as an outlet of their general frustration. Remember Ashton Gate is the only place any of us are allowed to raise our voices these days without fear of oppression (as long as you don't smoke or swear, or direct it to opposition fans..) so please don't take it to heart.

1. You are the heart of almost every move - defence pass to you and you distribute forward or to the wings accordingly. Without your midfield general role it would be chaos and we would be in danger of long ball hoofing.

2. Given the amount of time you are on the ball, your effective pass rate - even if at 85% plus would still leave a few stray passes which for some reason people jump on your backs about

3. You seem to have better games away from home - where our distilled, most dedicated and also knowledgable (i.e. see you play most often) fans seem to rate you just fine.

If we didn't have Lee, would we buy you? The answer most definitely is YES. Why not leak your OPTA stats or similar to prove the point, compared to other similar players. We need to put this argument to bed once and for all before it derails our season.

Please don't let us find out the hard way how useful you are to the team, by leaving and watching us drop down the league and pretty please don't join Reading - ask Murray why not and now look at Leroy L.

I read when you joined how things are often hard at the start then you are able to win the fans over. Well keep going, keep your chin up and if we get to the playoffs then remember that your name will be forever etched into City folklore along with the likes of Merrick, Gow, Tainton and Whitehead in a way that would never be possible up the road at the majeski.

I believe that LJ works hard, trains hard and is a good club man. I also believe he has had more less than average games this season than above average.

LJ affected the game more last season and like Trundle may be taking time adapting to the Championship. He does get a lot of stick from some fans, however its a choice to become a professional football player and ALL that goes with it.

That means the good/bad money and the good/bad fans.

Here here Lee Johnson is a class footballer. :englandsmile4wf::englandsmile4wf::englandsmile4wf::englandsmile4wf::englandsmile4wf:

Hopefully, LJ realises that the vast majority of supporters recognise his worth to the team and that he is a good footballer at this level.

Sure, some of his flicks and passes fall short now and then - the same as every other player in the squad, but he more than makes up for it with his input during a game.

One of the first names on the team sheet for me.

Its great to see so many getting behind Lee

Cmon you Reds

Excellent shout :clapping:

I posted the following on The Net Centre message board, earlier today, not realising this thread existed on here.....

"I totally agree with Sam Hollis and Nibor with regard to Lee Johnson. I rate Lee Johnson as a good Championship level player, and it's no surprise that we're sitting pretty in fourth position with players like Lee Johnson in our side !!!!!!!! :icecream:

Up the City"

my dad once said about basso, make a great save and it's never going to end in disatser (a goal) if he makes a mistake it doesn't always end in a goal, I feel johnson is in a position where he's on the other end of the scale, a missed tackle/ a poor pass and there is always a chance for the opposition to move forward whereas a great ball doesn't always end in a city attack, being a defensive/backtracking midfielder his mistakes are picked up more than a striker or an attacking midfielder. GJ is right though he can turn a game on it's head at any point, and we just have to hold out.

scr

Excellent, next time you run into him, tell him to stop hurdling challenges like a little fairy. Or ask him why he does it.

If he feels a little tearful about all this horrid criticism tell him to check his bank balance.

God, cry me a river. Anyone would think he's had death threats.

:fastasleep:

Excellent, next time you run into him, tell him to stop hurdling challenges like a little fairy. Or ask him why he does it.

If he feels a little tearful about all this horrid criticism tell him to check his bank balance.

God, cry me a river. Anyone would think he's had death threats.

:fastasleep:

with city fans like this......who needs the gas or the welsh to give city abuse.

pathetic

Excellent, next time you run into him, tell him to stop hurdling challenges like a little fairy.

:mellow:

We are watching different players, it would seem. Last season, and this, considering Lee's role in the side is as an attacking midfielder (and a 5'6" one), he makes his fair share of tackles and I've seen him sliding in many a time to get the ball back for us.

If anything the one thing that I definitely couldn't question him on is his defending.

with city fans like this......who needs the gas or the welsh to give city abuse.

pathetic

I agree with you, I've been watching this club for 35 odd years. We now see week in and week out one of the best performing BCFC sides in that whole 35 year time period. Lee Johnson is a good Championship level footballer - simple as that.

pathetic

Its my opinion, I'm entitled to it.

I don't make my criticism apparent down the gate, I simply share it on here to find likeminded people, isnt that what the forum is for?

What exactly is it that upsets you so much?

I agree with you, I've been watching this club for 35 odd years. We now see week in and week out one of the best performing BCFC sides in that whole 35 year time period. Lee Johnson is a good Championship level footballer - simple as that.

Where have I said he's a bad player, not he's had a bad game?

I'm simply stating where vast improvment can be made.

What you say is true, however, if Lee has faith in his own ability, then he won't be hurt easily.

:clapping::clapping:

Well said, 100% agree, and welcome to the forum.......you'll fit in well

As a YT fan,this is no different to what it was when he was playing for us,LJ will always find it hard for as long as he plays for his Dad,..Lee is a class player,his mistakes are probably highlighted more by the doubters,because he does more!

We only really found out how good he was,when he had gone. :farmer:

Thanks Gary.

:worship2:

I've been very critical of LJ in the past myself but could not believe a number of people I was surrounded by at Plymouth who whenever ANY of our players lost the ball, would shout 'JOHNSON' out loud. Like a knee jerk thing, even if it was somebody elses fault. Maybe they associate his name with losing the ball I don't know. But most of the time he was playing really well and nobody seemed to notice the good things, but any stray pass they would be on him like a ton of bricks.

As someone mentioned earlier, Gary Johnson is one of the best managers we have ever had and probably one of the most popular (certainly my favourite in 21 years), so surely the fact LJ is his son should be a good thing?! If he was Anthony Pulis then you would understand!

I think we have taken all action midfielders like Tommy to our hearts and expect little midfielders to run through brick walls for the club. I'm sure if LJ ran around like a man possessed and flew into a few tackles like his life depended on it then he would be more popular and people would allow him the odd misplaced pass (not saying that this is right by the way!). There are players in the team whose distribution is worse, notably McCombe and Bradders, but they seem to get away with it.

Once people associate him with giving the ball away (and to be fair you can guarantee one or two glaring examples of this per game when under no pressure at all, despite mostly accurate passes), they will tend to look out for this and pick up on it straight away. I remember Joe Burnell receiving similar treatment - his only crime was being too similar to his partner Doherty (despite being in far better physical shape).

Perhaps if his set pieces were more accurate and beat the first man more often and he scored more goals, again people wouldnt mind the powder puff challenges - if he was doing the attacking job properly, we have Elliott to do the dirty stuff.

What LJ does have however is plenty of energy and is always available to take the ball off the defenders from the first minute to the last. A few weeks ago everyone was calling for LJ to be dropped and for Noble to play in the middle in a 442 (myself included). I would still stand by this if Noble had the fitness to do this for 90 mins, however it has become evident in the last few games that this is not the case, whereas LJ kept going for the full 90 - he actually seems to get stronger towards the end of games - so once again GJ knows best. We just have to trust his judgement.

Archived