IGNORED

Wba

yeovilred

Have just bought tickets for the Boxing day fixture against what I consider the best all round team in the Championship. Thoroughly looking forward to this and reminded me of a winter fixture against them during the good old first div days. It was one of only a few games that went ahead due to bad weather and was live on the radio. I know we were well beaten and assume it was the year we were relegated. Can also remember the commentator referring to us as "Bristol Shitty" which amused my friend at the time who was a Chelsea fan.

Anyone who is in their late 30's or older remember the game and the score?

Have just bought tickets for the Boxing day fixture against what I consider the best all round team in the Championship. Thoroughly looking forward to this and reminded me of a winter fixture against them during the good old first div days. It was one of only a few games that went ahead due to bad weather and was live on the radio. I know we were well beaten and assume it was the year we were relegated. Can also remember the commentator referring to us as "Bristol Shitty" which amused my friend at the time who was a Chelsea fan.

Anyone who is in their late 30's or older remember the game and the score?

You've stirred an oldie. I reckon the match you mean was January 1st 1979 when City lost 3-1 and it was largely put down to the special astro-boots Ron Atkinson issued to the West Brom players so they kept their balance a lot better.

Peter Cormack levelled for us from the spot but John Wile scored a couple. I was a skint student then and living away from Bristol, so no chance of going to Hawthorns or hearing even the occasional Radio Bristol bulletin (by Herbie Gillam?). My joy at getting this rare coverage on Radio Two was obviously tempered by the realisation we were struggling in the conditions.

You've stirred an oldie. I reckon the match you mean was January 1st 1979 when City lost 3-1 and it was largely put down to the special astro-boots Ron Atkinson issued to the West Brom players so they kept their balance a lot better.

Peter Cormack levelled for us from the spot but John Wile scored a couple. I was a skint student then and living away from Bristol, so no chance of going to Hawthorns or hearing even the occasional Radio Bristol bulletin (by Herbie Gillam?). My joy at getting this rare coverage on Radio Two was obviously tempered by the realisation we were struggling in the conditions.

Bryan Robson ran the game, i thought it was 3-0, but i was still three quarters gone to the wind. But those astro-boots did win the the game.

Archived