IGNORED

Colchester On Jan 12

headhunter

Whilst the club are to be praised for the ticket price reduction for this weekend's game I shall be very surprised if it has the desired effect in terms of a merked increase on the attendance.

The last game before Christmas is played on what has become known over the years as 'Black Saturday' when many would be football goers are dragged off to accompany the wife on the last bits of shopping for the festive period!

Despite Barnsley's position they are hardly an attractive draw are they?

So what would this weekend's attendance be without the reduction?

9000 season ticket holders, 4000 pay on the day [?], 500 from Barnsley [?] - that makes 13,500. In my opinion anything above 14,000 and we shall have done well.

Many just don't have the money to do 2 games in a week and given a choice of Cardiff or Barnsley most casuals would have picked the former.

We have 3 home games in 12 days immediately after Christmas - with the well publicised squeeze on personal finances the Colchester game is going to suffer big time as the fixtures against Coventry & Middlesborough are far more attractive.

You might say why not offer a package deal on all three games but for a dad and 2 kids, even allowing for the already reduced Boro prices, that requires one helluva large upfront payment in Christmas week.

How about this for an idea - all those who come to the Barnsley game get, say, a voucher entitling them [season ticket holders would be encouraged to bring a friend?] to £5 off the normal match day price for Colchester. No upfront paying for 2 games, easy to administer on the day [separate turnstile for voucher holders], might help achieve a gate above 12,000

Your thoughts

If I remember the details in the programme, under 11's will get in free, 11-16 for £1 and the accompanying adult for £10. But PLEASE don't take it as gospel - my memory isn't perfect and the programme isn't to hand....can somebody check or else I'll check tomorrow (when it will be)

Dan

Whilst the club are to be praised for the ticket price reduction for this weekend's game I shall be very surprised if it has the desired effect in terms of a merked increase on the attendance.

The last game before Christmas is played on what has become known over the years as 'Black Saturday' when many would be football goers are dragged off to accompany the wife on the last bits of shopping for the festive period!

Despite Barnsley's position they are hardly an attractive draw are they?

So what would this weekend's attendance be without the reduction?

9000 season ticket holders, 4000 pay on the day [?], 500 from Barnsley [?] - that makes 13,500. In my opinion anything above 14,000 and we shall have done well.

Many just don't have the money to do 2 games in a week and given a choice of Cardiff or Barnsley most casuals would have picked the former.

We have 3 home games in 12 days immediately after Christmas - with the well publicised squeeze on personal finances the Colchester game is going to suffer big time as the fixtures against Coventry & Middlesborough are far more attractive.

You might say why not offer a package deal on all three games but for a dad and 2 kids, even allowing for the already reduced Boro prices, that requires one helluva large upfront payment in Christmas week.

How about this for an idea - all those who come to the Barnsley game get, say, a voucher entitling them [season ticket holders would be encouraged to bring a friend?] to £5 off the normal match day price for Colchester. No upfront paying for 2 games, easy to administer on the day [separate turnstile for voucher holders], might help achieve a gate above 12,000

Your thoughts

The thought is there but it could get confusing. Especially with some of the staff that work at the club.

In another thread i suuggested about doing exactly the same offer for the Coventry game as is on offer for Barnsley. What with us at home with a 3pm kick off on New Years Day, most "neutrals" wont want to go to a game of football after a heavy night the night before, especially from Coventry. So offer it to both sets of fans.

Then for Colchester offer some sort of discount, maybe at the Boro prices? Adults: £20, OAP's/Students/Under 21's: £15, and under 16's: £7.

Might draw a decent enough crowd in.

Result. There is a bloke in work who is more of a rugby supporter than football (attends Bristol RFC once or twice a year) but his seven year old son is more into football. I just happened to casually mention the "Quid a Kid" offer versus Colchester to someone else in the office, he overheard the conversation and is now taking his son to the game. This is someone who has never set foot inside Ashton Gate in his life. He knows how City have fared on a Saturday, mainly as a topic of conversation with me, but that is about it. If his son enjoys what he sees then the club may well have added two "Part Time" supporters to the fan base. Proof, that sensible pricing offers can have an effect.

Archived