IGNORED

Barnsley Game Heading For A Sell Out? So What Now Mr L?

Andy082005

Tell me this isn't still being debated!!?!?

You've missed the point-Ask WHY it's still being debated

The prices had to go up,

That's debateable-What isn't debateable is that they didn't need to go up 30/40%

no one was ever going to be happy about this to begin with regardless of how much as we all have different budgets to work to but ultimately we are now seeing better football from better players against better opposition which is undoubtedly what we're all after.

The footballs better, however the funny thing is that a lot of it is coming from the same players!

This isn't a conspiracy, this isn't SL trying to fleece the honest supporter of his/her last penny, its a simple business decision that dictates what we need to do to survive in this new world of football we want to be a part of.

That business decision was incorrect-Once again, no conspriracy and I haven't seen anyone say there ever was one.

I haven't done any canvassing in the street but I'm of the optimistic opinion that if the standard of football increases, the better players are attracted and then the crowds will come and for any of us lucky enough to be in at ground floor then we are part of that growth and something I can tell the grand kids in future "when I were a kid" stories. Cups half full please people it is xmas after all!

As you have said, the football's better, our league positions better and, 20+ games in our ground's anywhere from 20-30% empty-Ask why

agree with the first part, although the club want to get POTD fans in, hopefully they won't reduce it so much that it's doesn't devalue season ticket holders even further than they already have been this season, knocking a few quid off for some of the games is fine, but wholesale reductions will go down like one of GJ's hand grendade's.

Most people, who aren't selfish, realise the value to the club and the kind of reductions mooted by sensible people wouldn't devalue an ST in any way.Nobody expects reductions ala tomorrow however, if the attendance is up on what it woud have been......and I would suggest it could have been as low as 10/11,000 then it's a point proved.

as for prices if we got promoted? didn't SL say prices wouldn't need to go up if we got promoted? I'd imagine they would go up a bit, but the reason for the prices increases is based on being able to compete in this league, SL has said already I'm sure that if we went up, Sky Money would mean prices don't need to go up as much.

And I think he's wrong again although, if they went up 30/40% again, the place would probably be half empty.An average (not great) Prem Player earns £1mpa-Our wage bill is currently £6m-That's six players, so that's where a lot of the £35m from Sky would go before we even paid a fee.

To be honest though, even if we are in the prem, regardless of cost, I still don't think we would sell out every game.

In a new stadium with great marketing, flexible & sensible segregation, it would be possible providing pricing policy was spot on-I'm glad to see the club coming around to that way of thinking even if we're not quite there yet.

Disagree, not an insult at all! As a ST holder I'd rather the club reduced the POTD ticket prices to £20 and get larger crowds. ST holders still get a better price in the long run.

Also, being a ST holder isn't just about price, it's about a guarantee for your seat, first choice on cup tickets and not having to find POTD money each week.

Spot On-Simple really and I really don't see why some people don't get it.

Disagree there it works out around £17 on a season tickt, yes maybe £28 is too high but dropping to £20 is an insult to those that commited early, saving £3 a game, and only around £65 on the season.

If we go up again prepare for £40 - £50 a game and I bet the homes with Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea all sell out even at those prices.

I find your logic astounding. I am a season ticket holder myself but I really cannot see why dropping prices for seats costing less than £19 for a season ticket holder to £20 for an advance booking and perhaps £21 for POTD walk up is an "insult". Perhaps I am twisting your logic here but it seems to me that you would rather watch your football with only 13,000 others as long as you get a significantly better deal for paying your money up front compared with receiving a less significant saving on prices for the remainder of the season and seeing increased attendances which result in increased revenue and allow the club you apparently "support" to compete in the market for the better players we will need to make the next step.

As I said, I just cannot fathom what you really want out of watching City.

Give me the better crowds and I, as a season ticket holder, will console myself with the guaranteed seat for this season, first choice on next season, first choice on away tickets, first choice on cup tickets and 10% disccount in the club shop.

Being a ST holder I'm unaware of any other deals as I don't look for them. I just know that when I bought an adult and juvenille ticket for a friend in the Dolman earlier in the season it cost £44.

So whose being narrow minded now?

Uh?

I think you are attempting to patronise me for not being a ST holder and for being a (much trumpeted by you) "partimer". I will assure you I am a fellow ST holder and am also able to keep up with other deals for non ST holders.

Quite frankly I want all of my non-ST friends to become ST's of the future, and I'd be surprised if most City fans didn't want to "evangelise" in the same way.

This is certainly one in the eye to all the sneering club cheerleaders like megansdad and maidenheadred. You moaned at those of us who said the tickets were to why, and saturdays take up show that it is the reason gates have been dissapointing this season.

My advice is to take your head from your arses and remove those blinkers you have at the same time.

No- not the case at all - some of us live in the real world not some idyllic utopia. The fact that we can sell out by giving substantial discounts proves nothing except that people will take advantage of a bargain. The gate could be full every week if entry was free but that would not be sustainable. This is a one off and as such a great success it would appear but such substantial discounting is not sustainable and not necessary. As many have pointed out today is traditionally a low attendance day - selling tickets at real bargain prices for one game is an excellent way to get people along and to hope that having witnessed a great game and 3 points moving us closer to the top of the championship people may be tempted back and buy for further games.

10,000 season tickets have been sold

average attendances are significantly up on last year and the prices that were charged have helped us assemble a squad challenging for the premiership.

Why some of you continue to moan is beyond me but then you must know better than those running the club because you say so over and over again.

Pricing is a balance - getting a core ST base provides up front cash and is not performance dependent so prices are set to attract such commitment in cash terms.

POTD revenue is less certain and can be boosted by offers as above. However, the incentive to ST holders is essential and so POTD cannot be too regularly or too substantially reduced.

The breakeven on price reduction for POTD is also a factor

5,000 people paying 25 gives the same revenue as 8,000 paying 16 and of course if by reducing the price sufficient extras do not show revenue is down so it is far from as simple as some of you suggest.

Reducing POTD by too much on a regular basis would clearly be a disincentive to ST sales which are a vital source of stability.

What I have consistently said is that those running the club have better knowledge of day to day expenses and revenue than we do and are in a better place to judge - if, and I don't see it has been proved, the pricing policy was wrong it was by a small margin.

As for heads where the sun don't shine suggest ML yours may be stuck well and truly in darkness. You may have missed the rather excellent season we are having, the new training facilities, the proposed new stadium, an academy that is the envy of many, a team committed to playing for the shirt and with a great appreciation of the support we have. That all has to be financed from somewhere and while you may prefer Steve l to finance your footie by continuing to subsidise the club ad infinitum I think a more reasonable approach is to balance the budget- that means prices have to be set at levels that help sustain the club and our ambitions. SL, CS and the others involved continue to be in the best position to make those judgements and for my money are doing a pretty good job of it. You and others like BB will no doubt continue to moan but you certainly have no monopoly on rectitude and today's attendance will not prove anyone right or wrong since it is all simply opinion.

Mine is to say well done SL, CS, GJ , all the squad and all the staff at AG its been a great year. Enjoy your XMAS. Thanks for all that we have enjoyed in 2007 and lets hope for more of the same exceeding of expectations in 2008!!!

No- not the case at all - some of us live in the real world not some idyllic utopia. The fact that we can sell out by giving substantial discounts proves nothing except that people will take advantage of a bargain. The gate could be full every week if entry was free but that would not be sustainable. This is a one off and as such a great success it would appear but such substantial discounting is not sustainable and not necessary. As many have pointed out today is traditionally a low attendance day - selling tickets at real bargain prices for one game is an excellent way to get people along and to hope that having witnessed a great game and 3 points moving us closer to the top of the championship people may be tempted back and buy for further games.

average attendances are significantly up on last year and the prices that were charged have helped us assemble a squad challenging for the premiership.

Why some of you continue to moan is beyond me but then you must know better than those running the club because you say so over and over again.

Pricing is a balance - getting a core ST base provides up front cash and is not performance dependent so prices are set to attract such commitment in cash terms.

POTD revenue is less certain and can be boosted by offers as above. However, the incentive to ST holders is essential and so POTD cannot be too regularly or too substantially reduced.

5,000 people paying 25 gives the same revenue as 8,000 paying 16 and of course if by reducing the price sufficient extras do not show revenue is down so it is far from as simple as some of you suggest.

Reducing POTD by too much on a regular basis would clearly be a disincentive to ST sales which are a vital source of stability.

What I have consistently said is that those running the club have better knowledge of day to day expenses and revenue than we do and are in a better place to judge - if, and I don't see it has been proved, the pricing policy was wrong it was by a small margin.

As for heads where the sun don't shine suggest ML yours may be stuck well and truly in darkness. You may have missed the rather excellent season we are having, the new training facilities, the proposed new stadium, an academy that is the envy of many, a team committed to playing for the shirt and with a great appreciation of the support we have. That all has to be financed from somewhere and while you may prefer Steve l to finance your footie by continuing to subsidise the club ad infinitum I think a more reasonable approach is to balance the budget- that means prices have to be set at levels that help sustain the club and our ambitions. SL, CS and the others involved continue to be in the best position to make those judgements and for my money are doing a pretty good job of it. You and others like BB will no doubt continue to moan but you certainly have no monopoly on rectitude and today's attendance will not prove anyone right or wrong since it is all simply opinion.

Mine is to say well done SL, CS, GJ , all the squad and all the staff at AG its been a great year. Enjoy your XMAS. Thanks for all that we have enjoyed in 2007 and lets hope for more of the same exceeding of expectations in 2008!!!

:clapping: Nice post!!!

Steve's precise words were: "Do they want us to compete? Do we want to be challenging in the Premier League? If we want to be a top-level football club then this game has to sell out," Lansdown told the Western Daily Press. "The prices we have set for this match are the lowest I can remember for a league game during my time here.

"We are third in the table and are out for revenge against promotion rivals who beat us earlier in the season. This game really ought to be a sell-out. There can be no excuses.

"If it is not, then that tells me people really aren't that interested and that the price we charge is more than very reasonable. So, let's see what support we really get."

So, if we were to get an attendance today that was say 3,000 more than the Cardiff game (despite it being Black Saturday) but not a sell out Steve wins the argument, using his logic, and that closes down the debate as far as he's concerned presumably. :unsure:

What a load of bullshit and spin.

Our attendances have been disappointing from day one of this campaign - you yourself thought we'd have sold out against QPR and multiple other games and we haven't.

Instead we have a home attendance average which is barely a couple of thousand higher than last season despite us performing out of our skins on the field.

The pricing policy has been nothing other than a failure that has kept fans away from Ashton Gate.

We'd have made more money with reasonably priced tickets and the ticket sales for today's game prove that quite clearly.

There's simply no evidence to support your happy clappy idyllic utopia view.

GREAT POST! Totally agree! lots of very fair points

totally agree about ST holders prices, yes it's about keeping your seating, but for me it's about getting my seat for the cheapest price, forking out every june for my ST is a bloomin nightmare and I'm dreading next june already, but the FACT that I make a such a big saving on my match price is the key reason why I do it year after year, if it proves that I end up only saving £3/4 per week, I'd possibly not bother, risking alientating POTD fans is one thing, but the club CAN'T risk doing it to ST holders

Unfortunately as you say, some believe they are better business experts than those that have got themselves into a position in life to be in charge of a professional football club.

Our attendances have been disappointing from day one of this campaign - you yourself thought we'd have sold out against QPR and multiple other games and we haven't.

Instead we have a home attendance average which is barely a couple of thousand higher than last season despite us performing out of our skins on the field.

The pricing policy has been nothing other than a failure that has kept fans away from Ashton Gate.

We'd have made more money with reasonably priced tickets and the ticket sales for today's game prove that quite clearly.

more spin,

GREAT POST! Totally agree! lots of very fair points

totally agree about ST holders prices, yes it's about keeping your seating, but for me it's about getting my seat for the cheapest price, forking out every june for my ST is a bloomin nightmare and I'm dreading next june already, but the FACT that I make a such a big saving on my match price is the key reason why I do it year after year, if it proves that I end up only saving £3/4 per week, I'd possibly not bother, risking alientating POTD fans is one thing, but the club CAN'T risk doing it to ST holders

Unfortunately as you say, some believe they are better business experts than those that have got themselves into a position in life to be in charge of a professional football club.

Hahaha. That's just the usual laughable rubbish.

You make a great saving against POTD prices with your season ticket because POTD prices are astronomical, that doesn't make ST prices right.

The club has a massive margin in which to cut POTD prices without "alientating" ST holders.

Typical dog in a manger.

And it's got nothing to do with being better business experts - quite the reverse - it's got to do with understanding the fan on the street and what the average joe can afford better.

Hahaha. That's just the usual laughable rubbish.

You make a great saving against POTD prices with your season ticket because POTD prices are astronomical, that doesn't make ST prices right.

The club has a massive margin in which to cut POTD prices without "alientating" ST holders.

Typical dog in a manger.

And it's got nothing to do with being better business experts - quite the reverse - it's got to do with understanding the fan on the street and what the average joe can afford better.

laughable rubbish

great savings are made, season after season with a ST, not just this season, people always complain about matchdays prices and have been doing it for as long as I can remember, they do it this season, people did it last season, season before that and so on.

the fact is people will always jump on a discount such as today

I cant justify having an ST x two, as me n Mrs Bucks cannot make every match (work n all that)-we get down as often as we can. money is a big issue for long distance fans. The prices this season has made it a choice of when I come down, been to three home and two away, plus WBA on Boxing Day. Costs a hundred quid a game for the two of us. No complaints from me bout that, but it does kinda make decisions for us.

Been coming regularly since 85, so I aint no part timer.

nibor i used to read your posts with a degree of respect but this is laughable- I have no reason to spin anything - my view is that of an independent and independently minded supporter. I disagree with you but that doesn't make what I write spin and frankly you make yourself a bit of an ass in suggesting such- but heh that's your decision.

today's game proves nothing- even with deeply discounted tickets we did not sell out. I'd say there is less evidence to support your view that you know better than SL and CS, except of course in your mind

nibor i used to read your posts with a degree of respect but this is laughable- I have no reason to spin anything - my view is that of an independent and independently minded supporter. I disagree with you but that doesn't make what I write spin and frankly you make yourself a bit of an ass in suggesting such- but heh that's your decision.

today's game proves nothing- even with deeply discounted tickets we did not sell out. I'd say there is less evidence to support your view that you know better than SL and CS, except of course in your mind

Depends what you call a sell out mate. I doubt very much that any club has ever sold every, and I mean every single seat in a stadium without 1 seat somewhere not being taken up. I think the attendance today proved that the ticket structure is wrong. Set the tickets at the right price and the fans will come.

I've read a post of yours where you said that most teams that have been promoted barely improve on their attendances regardless of form... Would that not suggest that the attendance is down to the people, and not the price?

You made quite a few posts supporting the astronomical price increases pre season, and some predictions about attendances that have since proved WAY off. Now you're trying to spin the disappointing attendances to support your view.

We had well over 16,000 fans at Ashton Gate to watch a game against one of the least attractive sides in the Championship 3 days before Xmas on what is typically the worst attended game of any season.

This just a week after having less than 14,000 home fans at Ashton Gate to watch what is considered to be a derby against a side we all hate.

That's a pretty good indication that lower prices mean more people will show up. That is as much evidence as can be got until SL bites the bullet and implements a meaningful reduction in matchday prices to run over several games.

I'd have expected todays game to be a gate of about 11-12k without the price reductions and if that were the case, then we actually took MORE money today than we would have otherwise.

Yes, I do believe I know better than ColinS and SteveL what the average city fan can afford and will stomach. I think you'll find that ColinS was never really a football fan and that SteveL was already far wealthier than most of us will ever be when he became a city fan from taking his kids along. I think perhaps they don't have the same appreciation of how these things affect the man in the street. I wouldn't attempt to tell him how to run an IFA.

I've read a post of yours where you said that most teams that have been promoted barely improve on their attendances regardless of form... Would that not suggest that the attendance is down to the people, and not the price?

I can't remember saying that, perhaps you're taking it out of context?

laughable rubbish

great savings are made, season after season with a ST, not just this season, people always complain about matchdays prices and have been doing it for as long as I can remember, they do it this season, people did it last season, season before that and so on.

the fact is people will always jump on a discount such as today

Season tickets are always the cheapest way to watch football but this season they are a much bigger proportional saving because of the disproportionate price increases. POTD prices went up more.

Of course people will jump on a discount, so discount the tickets permanently.

This was my first match of the season today! I have supported city for a very long time now and used to go to 70% of the match's through the 90's, but now due to having to work 1 in 2 saturdays (thus not justifying a season ticket) I find £28 just a bridge to far on top of petrol from Glos.

I took my partners son (who has never been to a match before) today who absolutely loved it in the EE and has already asked to come again! This is a City fan of the future who is possibly going to miss out due to extortionate POD prices. As it stands I am going to bring him to the Col U match but after that it will again be down to price. Could this possibly be a future City Fan lost???

Never mind, he'll be able to watch it on the tv when we are in the Premiership.

Oh, hang on, you can't afford Sky.

I can quite comfortably afford Sky thank you for asking. Just cant justify nearly £80 each match (tickets, petrol, food and drink) if I was to take both of us but I'm glad you can. Would also suggest you keep your dumb comments to yourself in future!

I can quite comfortably afford Sky thank you for asking. Just cant justify nearly £80 each match (tickets, petrol, food and drink) if I was to take both of us but I'm glad you can. Would also suggest you keep your dumb comments to yourself in future!

Yes I can.

Why do you buy food at Ashton Gate?

If you don't want dumb comments, why on earth are you posting on this forum?

16,558 according to the official website. Looked more then that from where I was but fair enough. A pretty good turn out I reacon.

We also need to bear in mind that Barnsley only had about 200 fans. So 16,358 actual city fans today. If you take that into consideration and look at all other home games, with certain side bringing 2 thousand plus fans, then I would say that simply put if they lower the prices to a reasonable amount that we as fans are all happy with, a lot more people would turn up to support their side. No other factors come to mind as to why we have been poorly supported at home this year. If anybody has any I would love to know what??

Archived