IGNORED

Brooker

East End Lad

Love the beeb headline " Johnson tells Brooker not to rush".

Basically Steve whether you like him not traditionally takes 5-6 games to get fit enough to play properly. He's had a full game and will take 2-3 before he should even be considered for first team duty. THEN, he has to earn his place. Showunmi's playing well as are Byfield and Trundle. There isn't a guaranteed place for Brooker anymore. That may just get the best out of him.

From what i've seen, he more than any of the other three strikers will struggle to step up.

When fit - He is as good as if not better than all of the strikers we currently have IMO. He is an absolute nightmare for defenders and it would be interesting to see what would happen if he got the chance to line up alongside Trundle.

He will have to wait for his chance and rightly so because the other lads have been superb. You have to feel that this is probably his last chance to make it under Johnson, Another long term injury and I would think GJ would look to offload him.

When fit - He is as good as if not better than all of the strikers we currently have IMO. He is an absolute nightmare for defenders and it would be interesting to see what would happen if he got the chance to line up alongside Trundle.

He will have to wait for his chance and rightly so because the other lads have been superb. You have to feel that this is probably his last chance to make it under Johnson, Another long term injury and I would think GJ would look to offload him.

Agree totally , workrate top class often away from home on his own up front :superman: .

Chases , holds up and challenges everything in the air or on the deck . Love to see him with Trundle in particular :superman:

Agree with the first point, i imagine he will be by far our most effective and influential striker, and i think with Brooker alongside him, we might see the best of, or at least an improvement in, Trundle.

However, i have to take issue with your second point. Which of the other strikers have performed particularly well? Trundle has thus far dissapointed (perhaps more due to the way he's been played/played too, but that's another debate,) and Byfield when started has similarly dissapointed (4 of his 5 goals have been from the bench-although that in itself is an impressive feat.) Showunmi has worked hard and looked like the player we saw in the first half of last season, but has only scored one in four, and remember what happened to him last season when teams realised how easy he was to bully, i still have reservations about him.

I think GJ realises Brooker's worth to the team, it was he who made him captain at the beginning of his tenure after all. And should he suffer any more injuries, there's no chance we'd be able to offload him, he's here 'til 2009 and no-one else would take the risk he represents. I expect (hope?) to see SB back on the bench before 2007 is out.

I would like to see SB back on the bench if he is fit.

If he's not fully fit, then its not worth the bother.

However, i won't hold my breath that this isnt another false dawn.

Since he's been with us, he's only had one long term injury (as far as i'm aware,) and his return to full training, and coming through the reserve games indicate that he's over that. He may not be match fit yet, but reserve games come too few and far between for him to regain full fitness that way, the bench is the only way forwards!

After two & half reserve games and two goals, I have a feeling we will see the Bald-Headed Battering Ram coming on for a ten-minute cameo tomorrow. I think GJ wants to see Brooks back over the Christmas period so that he can make some decisions about the January window, ie Jevons out, Van Persie in, do nothing etc.

It will be good to have him back, some physical presence up front to complement either Enoch or take the pressure off Trundle.

Since he's been with us, he's only had one long term injury (as far as i'm aware,) and his return to full training, and coming through the reserve games indicate that he's over that. He may not be match fit yet, but reserve games come too few and far between for him to regain full fitness that way, the bench is the only way forwards!

I'm sure someone could pull the records up for me somewhere, but i seem to remember Brooker being more injury prone than that. Albeit previous injuries may not be so long term, but its worrying nonetheless.

Personally, i wouldnt like to risk placing an unfit player on the bench, what happens if Trundle gets injured after 5 mins and we need someone to last the remaining 85? Using a place on the bench to accomodate an unfit Brooker (or anyone else for that matter) would be silly IMO.

The point is moot, however, as none of us can say with real certainty how long Brooker would actually last on the pitch in a first team game at the moment.

I'd guess its a long way off 90minutes though.

I'm sure someone could pull the records up for me somewhere, but i seem to remember Brooker being more injury prone than that. Albeit previous injuries may not be so long term, but its worrying nonetheless.

Personally, i wouldnt like to risk placing an unfit player on the bench, what happens if Trundle gets injured after 5 mins and we need someone to last the remaining 85? Using a place on the bench to accomodate an unfit Brooker (or anyone else for that matter) would be silly IMO.

The point is moot, however, as none of us can say with real certainty how long Brooker would actually last on the pitch in a first team game at the moment.

I'd guess its a long way off 90minutes though.

I don't have a copy of Brooker's injury record since he joined us, and my assertion was based on cider and a poor memory for genuinely significant information. Could somebody with access to facts enlighten us, is SB injury prone or does he just have a dogy knee that is now healed (as far as we know)? Regardless, i would "waste" a space on the bench on a potentially unfit striker given our ability to switch between 4-4-2 and 4-5-1, but then maybe that's why i'm not the manager.

Anyway, there's only one way to really test his fitness-first team football. We shall see.

I don't have a copy of Brooker's injury record since he joined us, and my assertion was based on cider and a poor memory for genuinely significant information. Could somebody with access to facts enlighten us, is SB injury prone or does he just have a dogy knee that is now healed (as far as we know)? Regardless, i would "waste" a space on the bench on a potentially unfit striker given our ability to switch between 4-4-2 and 4-5-1, but then maybe that's why i'm not the manager.

Anyway, there's only one way to really test his fitness-first team football. We shall see.

Don't see him as a sicknote. Anyone can have bad luck and being seriously injured BUT coming back. Remember Alex Russell? Injured when joined us and out for a very long time but since then has been playing regulary. When being asked asked to that is : )

Cheers

Tommy

Last season, GJ played Brooker fit, half fit and unfit. Why, because he knew that we were a more confident team with Brooker on the pitch. Carey said the same thing and its about Brookers physical presence. Like kids at school, they are much more confident when big brother's around.

Under GJ, Brooker made player of the season, recieved an extended contract until 2009 and was selected when unfit. That indicates to me how much GJ values Brookers presence in the squad.

Brooker is a mans man and will give all that he has. I wish him well, because a fit and performing Brooker will open new doors to our upwards momentum.

Rednready.

A FIT Brooker could be like having a new signing for us. So lets embrace him if he does feature for us today. Remember we have alot of fixtures to play in the next few weeks so don't be suprised if he does pop up on the bench. I hope he scores a few for us because usually we have a wabble in the league at this time of the year!!

personally at present would prefer to see super sub Scott Murray back on the bench - when fully fit though brooker will be like a new signing and well worth a place in the squad.

I wonder if we'll ever see SM in a City shirt again tbh.... :noexpression:

Broooker, well might go again the concensus but we all know he takes 4-5 games to get fit so why not send him on loan to Cheltenham, get him fully fit and ready to go in Feb. The Championship is no place to have a half fit striker..

No.

we have more than decent cover on the bench in Byfield, pointless rushing Brooker back when we don't need to.

Agreed. Rather have him available for the whole of the new year than appear too soon and not be back till febuary or something like that!

Plus Byfield has done well coming off the bench, so he'd have to feel hard done by to be replaced as our main 'impact sub' if brooks is ony just fit.

There's a difference between fit and sharp. He usually takes a few games to get sharp BUT bear in mind that before we've always rushed him back half fit without 3 reserve games behind him.

Once he is capable of lasting 70-80 minutes he should be in the starting XI, he's a class above any of our other strikers.

There's a difference between fit and sharp. He usually takes a few games to get sharp BUT bear in mind that before we've always rushed him back half fit without 3 reserve games behind him.

Once he is capable of lasting 70-80 minutes he should be in the starting XI, he's a class above any of our other strikers.

SB is totally unproven at this level, yet already being hyped as our best striker. Lets give the guy a chance before we build him up only to knock him down next week.

SB is totally unproven at this level, yet already being hyped as our best striker. Lets give the guy a chance before we build him up only to knock him down next week.

I'm not hyping anyone. Brooker is simply better than the other three.

I'd say they're all unproven at this level so far.

I'm not hyping anyone. Brooker is simply better than the other three.

I'd say they're all unproven at this level so far.

disagree,

Enoch he might be able to shade,

Byfield has played at this level before and has scored goals and personally think in league one was a better player as with Trundle who was an excellent player at league 1 they have both done it at the level

Brooker - couldn't do it consistantly at the lower league because his body couldn't handle the rigours of a football and playing constantly season after season, he has ALOT to prove.

However, i have to take issue with your second point. Which of the other strikers have performed particularly well? Trundle has thus far dissapointed (perhaps more due to the way he's been played/played too, but that's another debate,) and Byfield when started has similarly dissapointed (4 of his 5 goals have been from the bench-although that in itself is an impressive feat.) Showunmi has worked hard and looked like the player we saw in the first half of last season, but has only scored one in four, and remember what happened to him last season when teams realised how easy he was to bully, i still have reservations about him.

I think GJ realises Brooker's worth to the team, it was he who made him captain at the beginning of his tenure after all. And should he suffer any more injuries, there's no chance we'd be able to offload him, he's here 'til 2009 and no-one else would take the risk he represents. I expect (hope?) to see SB back on the bench before 2007 is out.

Fair comment but I meant the team as a whole, not just the strikers. But with regards to your point - The trouble is we have played with one striker on quite a few occasions this season and that is an extremely tough role to play. None of our strikers at the moment have been given a real chance to form a partnership with someone else due to the system we play. We have had Noble, Murray, Sproule, Showumni, Byfield, Trundle and even Jevons in the cup all playing the role of striker or support striker at some point during the season so its has been virtually impossible for any of them to forge some sort of partnership or understanding with eachother. When you look at it like that - i think they have done pretty well so far.

Enoch he might be able to shade,

You're watching a different player to me there.

Byfield has played at this level before and has scored goals and personally think in league one was a better player as with Trundle who was an excellent player at league 1 they have both done it at the level

I don't think anyone would have swapped Brooker for Trundle.

Byfield is a good poacher but I don't think he contributes as much on the pitch as Steve Brooker does.

Brooker - couldn't do it consistantly at the lower league because his body couldn't handle the rigours of a football and playing constantly season after season, he has ALOT to prove.

Brooker did do it consistently in league one for both us and Vale and has suffered from one major injury that we continually rushed him back from.

With respect Byfield is proven in this league. Will Brooker hold up at this level is my honest question?

2 years ago he was considered our best player. The others have coped with it, I've no doubt he will.

I think some people forget just how much better we play with him in the side to be honest.

Archived