IGNORED

Was It Really That Impressive The Crowd

Red Robin

SKY Tonight mentioned three clubs had reduced prices this weekend

Southampton They had the biggest increase some 2600 up

Reading was just over 2000 better

Bristol City had the worst some 1300+ on our average crowd, Now taking the fact that Barnsley only brought a couple of hundred I reckon the true picture was about a extra 2500 people in the ground.

don't get me wrong more bums on seats are great,however was it a huge success personally don't think it really shows us to much,a more glamourous game say against Crystal Palace would shows us a better picture.

Considering our fantastic season so far,lets all be blunt about it are home crowds are very poor indeed.

We sit joint second in the championship,yet we can not fill AG even with half price entrances fees.

SL and GJ must wonder what they have to do to put bums on seats.Cus if joint second does not fill the stadium then nothing will.

Come on Red Robin. You know as well as I do that there would have been hundreds of people running round town/The Mall today buying Christmas presents or staying at home because all of their money has already been spent on Christmas presents. Today was a more than acceptable attendance. We had approximately 13,700 City fans in last week for a local derby and around 16,300 today for a match against, no disrespect to Barnsley, a team that is not a big draw to people in this part of the world.

It is a fact, unfortunately, that most Bristolians do not give a flying f00k about local sports teams. Therefore we need to examine every way of attracting the twenty odd thousand that do (on a regular/semi regular basis). If that means special pricing offers then so be it.

I actually disagree. I think that considering the time of year the turn out was pretty good and suprised me somewhat.

Usually we have the 10,000 ST holders, 3,000+ POD/advance sales, and the away support. Now considering Barnsley only brought about 500???, thats 6,000 POD/advance sales.

This therefore means we saw a 100% increase on POD/advance sales. If Barnsley had brought perhaps another 1000, an it was a different time of the year, we would almost of had a complete sellout. Restrictions applying obviously.

Bristol City had the worst some 1300+ on our average crowd, Now taking the fact that Barnsley only brought a couple of hundred I reckon the true picture was about a extra 2500 people in the ground.

Impressive crowd alright as without price reductions there would have been 12-12,500 attendance at the very most today.

I'd say City did the best of the 3 club's mentioned.

To add 4,000+ home fans to an unattractive fixture on Black Saturday shows just how many people have been priced out of regular attendance at AG.

don't get me wrong more bums on seats are great,however was it a huge success personally don't think it really shows us to much,a more glamourous game say against Crystal Palace would shows us a better picture.

Considering our fantastic season so far,lets all be blunt about it are home crowds are very poor indeed.

We sit joint second in the championship,yet we can not fill AG even with half price entrances fees.

SL and GJ must wonder what they have to do to put bums on seats.Cus if joint second does not fill the stadium then nothing will.

If you were at AG today you would have noticed hardly ANY empty home seats. Barnsley selling so few counts a lot toward the below capacity attendance.

In simple terms, we had about 2,000 more home fans than against Cardiff who brought 1,651 against Barnsley's 250.

Knowing what the crowd today would have been on Black Saturday (11/12,000) it was a bumper attendance of almost 5,000 more.Forget averages because the average number of away fans at AG this season has been about five or six times what Barnsley brought.

It is now clear, even if it wasn't before, that pricing has an effect.Nobody's saying halve the prices but sensible offers like a £5 reduction off the End prices, dropping stealth charges and taking £7 off the prices in The Williams & Dolman should surely be trialled.

Biggest home attendance of the season so far. Enough said.

what was the official crowd ??

xmas or not it should of been a sell out, no question

1/2 price for a team who are right in the mix of a promo/play off mix in the championship should easily sell out ALL home tickets

35k+ at baadiff and wembley in years gone by ?? - why cant we sell 18.5 home tickets at a bargain price ???

1/2 price for a team who are right in the mix of a promo/play off mix in the championship should easily sell out ALL home tickets

35k+ at baadiff and wembley in years gone by ?? - why cant we sell 18.5 home tickets at a bargain price ???

we cant sell 18k home tickets cause we aint got 18k to sell because of away fans.

If you were at AG today you would have noticed hardly ANY empty home seats. Barnsley selling so few counts a lot toward the below capacity attendance.

apart from the completely empty block in the east end that would have been filled if there had been enough people had come to the game,

in fairness around me in G block atyeo, there was still plenty of seats not filled I'm sure other blocks probably had the same.

In simple terms, we had about 2,000 more home fans than against Cardiff who brought 1,651 against Barnsley's 250.

Knowing what the crowd today would have been on Black Saturday (11/12,000) it was a bumper attendance of almost 5,000 more.Forget averages because the average number of away fans at AG this season has been about five or six times what Barnsley brought.

It is now clear, even if it wasn't before, that pricing has an effect.Nobody's saying halve the prices but sensible offers like a £5 reduction off the End prices, dropping stealth charges and taking £7 off the prices in The Williams & Dolman should surely be trialled.

spin, spin, spin

the last time we played on a "black saturday" at home the attedance was actually early 13.5k against Luton Town in a lower divsion, few years later, only about 3k higher yesterday

fact is, HALF PRICE TICKETS - CHAMPIONSHIP FOOTBALL - STILL NOT SOLD OUT

everything else is just Spin

don't get wrong it was a increase against one of the less fashionable sides and was most welcome.

however half price yes half price,I cannot remember in my footballing time a gift of this amount to the supporters of Bristol City.

However if we add a three thousand away crowd the crowd would have looked pretty impressive at around 19000+

still baffles me what the Bristol public really want with there NO1 Club in Bristol

IMHO It will take more than a few months in this league for crowds to improve. As a club, we have been in the doldrums of the football league for too long. Nearly every kid in Bristol supports Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool etc. Basically crowds have improved since last season only slightly considering promotion, and we will get some large crowds against more glamorous teams and if we are still in top six towards end of season. But we are kidding ourselves if we are expecting our fan base to increase overnight. Ticket prices i think play a part in this, but don't over estimate this factor - we live in an affluent area where people have nice houses, big cars, computers, sat navs, 2 holidays abroad each year etc ( i do not include myself in this analysis)- so they could certainly afford to watch footy at the gate even at these prices if they wished . We just don't have the tradition, it will take time and perhaps another promotion! Merry xmas all!! :noexpression:

IMHO It will take more than a few months in this league for crowds to improve. As a club, we have been in the doldrums of the football league for too long. Nearly every kid in Bristol supports Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool etc. Basically crowds have improved since last season only slightly considering promotion, and we will get some large crowds against more glamorous teams and if we are still in top six towards end of season. But we are kidding ourselves if we are expecting our fan base to increase overnight. Ticket prices i think play a part in this, but don't over estimate this factor - we live in an affluent area where people have nice houses, big cars, computers, sat navs, 2 holidays abroad each year etc ( i do not include myself in this analysis)- so they could certainly afford to watch footy at the gate even at these prices if they wished . We just don't have the tradition, it will take time and perhaps another promotion! Merry xmas all!! :noexpression:

your right 20+ years in the doldrums is a a major factor.

but time to move on SL and GJ HAVE TO BE THE BEST PARTNERSHIP IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP.

100% CORRECT!

however some expect INSTANT increases and if it doesn't happen, play the blame game.

16,231 home supporters in attendance yesterday.

If you take into account that the mainly empty Barnsley end was around 3000/4000 seats including segregation then surely we couldnt really have squeezed many more people into the home ends??

Without a bumper away attendance, to expect any more than a crowd of around 16500 is unrealistic (Rotherham game excluded when of course we were given the whole of the EE)

It was a good attendance, simple as. If we can get a similar number of home fans for our next home game against Coventry, then with Cov probably bringing 2000+, the crowd will be around 18000 which would be a fantastic turnout.

spin, spin, spin

You'd know all about that.

the last time we played on a "black saturday" at home the attedance was actually early 13.5k against Luton Town in a lower divsion, few years later, only about 3k higher yesterday

S0 about 25% more.Luton were top of the League and brought a dcent following.

fact is, HALF PRICE TICKETS - CHAMPIONSHIP FOOTBALL - STILL NOT SOLD OUT

Whereas when the prices were higher, far less City fans turned up, so that's much better, isn't it

everything else is just Spin

And if you really think that then Nibor's right

Not only was it "black saturday", but also our second succesive home game on the two saturdays before xmas!!!

16000 plus home fans was a very good turn out!!

Spot On, Old Spot

100% CORRECT!

however some expect INSTANT increases and if it doesn't happen, play the blame game.

You need to make your mind up-Who's blaming the fans for not selling the ground out when prices have been significantly reduced for the first time this season?

And?

The price cuts produced the largest attendance by city fans so far this season for a game that traditionally has a terrible attendance.

Anyone who thinks price doesn't have a large bearing on attendance is clearly a complete imbecile.

Agreed......and it's significant that only one person is saying that yesterdays attendance wasn't a huge success.

16,231 home supporters in attendance yesterday.

If you take into account that the mainly empty Barnsley end was around 3000/4000 seats including segregation then surely we couldnt really have squeezed many more people into the home ends??

Without a bumper away attendance, to expect any more than a crowd of around 16500 is unrealistic (Rotherham game excluded when of course we were given the whole of the EE)

It was a good attendance, simple as. If we can get a similar number of home fans for our next home game against Coventry, then with Cov probably bringing 2000+, the crowd will be around 18000 which would be a fantastic turnout.

Had 16,200 City fans turned up when we played Southampton, then the crowd would have been almost 19,000-Simple fact that says it all and proves the point.Time for SL to act.

Archived