IGNORED

The Red Goblin's Xmas Football Quiz...

Mr Mosquito

A bit later than usual as I've only just emerged from an alcohol haze. Come and 'have a go at this short quiz ladz and lasses..... :icecream: .....

1) Technically, this club is 120 years old as BCFC's oldest constituent club was founded in 1887 - what was the name of this club at that time?

2) Name the 2 clubs to have recorded 14 consecutive league victories in 1904 and 1905 in our current division (formerly known as Division 2).

3) His Excellency - Oliver Cromwell - played football at which University?

4) In 1365, what King proclaimed a Royal ban of football in England fearing his soldiers were spending too much time playing football and not enough time practising archery?

5) Name the England striker that was the only survivor when his Wellington bomber crashed into a tree during World War 2.

A Wellington World War 2 bomber......

wellington.jpg

I'll post the answers on December 31st.

A waste of time for people to now wait for me to post the answers on December 31st with CiderJar on the Net Centre and Uncle Roger on Ziderheads giving correct answers - well done to the pair of them. Congratulations on the pair of them getting the answers so quickly. See CiderJar's indepth answers at the link below - absolutely flawless !!!!....

http://www.clubfanzine.com/bristol_city/fo...hp?id_t=17311#3

I'll go into some detail on the answer to number 5) as this players' achievements are truely remarkable.......

A wireless operator in the RAF, Stan Mortensen was involved in that plane crash which left him badly injured. A full recovery from these injuries was made and Mortensen was able to make some impression in the limited wartime football arena. This impression included turning out for Wales in an unofficial international match against England when the men from the valleys turned up short !!!!! In 1953 Stan Mortensen scored the only FA Cup final hat trick of the twentieth century yet the game instantly became known as the 'Stanley Matthews Final'.

Between 1947 and 1953 Stan Mortensen made twenty five appearances for England and scored twenty three goals, a remarkable feat.

Source: http://www.football-england.com/Stanley_Mortensen.html

Archived