IGNORED

Beaten Badly Today

RED4LIFE

So we got a thumping today, but I'm not that worried tbh.

The last time we got stuffed (Ipswich 0-6), we only lost one of the next 7 games, which shows that we have a great spirit in the squad, and if GJ decides to strengthen in the window, I believe it may give us the impetus to push on again. Even if we don't sign players, GJ will make sure that the players heads don't drop and they stay focussed.

I think GJ has done relatively well in the transfer market so far, and now with our high league position, reputation for playing good football and the fact that GJ's reputation is going from strength to strength, it should (in theory) be easier for us to attract a higher quality of player than we already have.

don't get me wrong, I wouldnt want to sign players for the sake of it, but I'm sure neither does Johnson. The right player, with the right quality and attitude would be hard to find, but I'm sure Gary and his brother, Pete have a few ideas up their sleeves. Although I think a pure goalscorer would be a great addition, but they are few and far between.

Also nice to see hardly any threads moaning about today either. :ph34r:

totally agree, no wholesale changes for me.

happy with the squad we have, if the right one or two become available then great, otherwise, if we go through the window without bringing anyone in, I won't mind as long as we manage to hold on to player like Elliott and Fontaine.

i was chatting to some baggies fans after the game ......

they said we should def have had a penalty..

and they were happy to see Enoch start, and wished he had stayed on longer, as in their view he was absolutely no threat to them at all .......

and byfields miss was the worse they had seen there all season, until their players miss ten minutes later.

they also said 2-0 would have been a fairer result,

but i guess its easy to be generous in your praise when you've got 3 points.

:englandsmile4wf:

Bh- I wouldnt worry about the likes of Elliott or Fontaine leaving in the window. Fontaine has only this season managed to hold down his preferred CB spot, and now he's got it, I don't think he will want to leave and have to do it all again, also he likes GJ, and Elliott has only just signed for us. It would take a massive offer (£3-4m) for another club to sign him imo.

I posted on another thread about trying to get someone like Fletcher(quality,experience) from Man U or even an up and coming young player like Daniel Sturridge(Raw pace, eye for goal, something to prove) from Man City, on loan until the end of the season. They arent playing 1st team footy, so a promotion push might be just what they need, in terms of getting back to form. It might cost a few quid in wages, but we would only be taking a financial gamble this season, instead of signing someone that may be on big wages for a few years.

If we do sign players, and I think we will, another striker and a CM to push LJ and Elliot for their own 1st team spots, as they are obviously 1st choice at the moment, will do me fine. I don't think we need another CB as with McCombe and Vasko, I think we have enough cover there anyway. Maybe another RB even though I don't think its not essential imo, as although he has done exceptionally well for the past 2 seasons, I don't personally think Orr is good enough for the top-end of the Championship/Premership. Cant question his commitment though.

Bh- I wouldnt worry about the likes of Elliott or Fontaine leaving in the window. Fontaine has only this season managed to hold down his preferred CB spot, and now he's got it, I don't think he will want to leave and have to do it all again, also he likes GJ, and Elliott has only just signed for us. It would take a massive offer (£3-4m) for another club to sign him imo.

I posted on another thread about trying to get someone like Fletcher(quality,experience) from Man U or even an up and coming young player like Daniel Sturridge(Raw pace, eye for goal, something to prove) from Man City, on loan until the end of the season. They arent playing 1st team footy, so a promotion push might be just what they need, in terms of getting back to form. It might cost a few quid in wages, but we would only be taking a financial gamble this season, instead of signing someone that may be on big wages for a few years.

If we do sign players, and I think we will, another striker and a CM to push LJ and Elliot for their own 1st team spots, as they are obviously 1st choice at the moment, will do me fine. I don't think we need another CB as with McCombe and Vasko, I think we have enough cover there anyway. Maybe another RB even though I don't think its not essential imo, as although he has done exceptionally well for the past 2 seasons, I don't personally think Orr is good enough for the top-end of the Championship/Premership. Cant question his commitment though.

do you honestly think Fontaine (out of contract at end of season) would turn down a chance from a prem club to possible double/treble his wages? if an offer comes in that is decent, the club would rightly have to speak to the player about his future plans and if they feel he will turn down a new deal at the end of the season, then they will rightly have to cash in now to get the max value for a player at his age, they would otherwise lose for peanuts.

as for Elliott, he has only joined, but lets face it Pompey have been watching for for months now, and with half their squad off to the African Nations, they could well stick a bid in.

Personally, I'll say the same asI've been saying for months, Centre Midfielder to challenge LJ and 2 full backs would be lovely. but won't be overly gutted if we don't get them.

as for Flechter - CRAZY TALK

do you honestly think Fontaine (out of contract at end of season) would turn down a chance from a prem club to possible double/treble his wages? if an offer comes in that is decent, the club would rightly have to speak to the player about his future plans and if they feel he will turn down a new deal at the end of the season, then they will rightly have to cash in now to get the max value for a player at his age, they would otherwise lose for peanuts.

as for Elliott, he has only joined, but lets face it Pompey have been watching for for months now, and with half their squad off to the African Nations, they could well stick a bid in.

Personally, I'll say the same asI've been saying for months, Centre Midfielder to challenge LJ and 2 full backs would be lovely. but won't be overly gutted if we don't get them.

as for Flechter - CRAZY TALK

I only used Fletcher as an example, not as a possible target (theres no way he would come to us, I realise that). I feel we should look at players with a bit of top-flight experience that isnt playing regularly for their respective teams is all.

No I don't think that Fontaine would turn down a move to the Prem that will double/triple his wages. I also don't think he's done enough this season to get a move to a club that will offer him Prem football. don't get me wrong, he's been playing very well, but not Prem class yet.

If what you say about Pompey and Elliott is true, then fair enough, but as I said I think it will take a large bid to get him.

First half was seat of the pants stuff & we were defintely "mothering our goal" plus a fair amount of luck & poor WBA finishing. Second half they showed their class & experience and pulled us all over the place. Bottom line, we were beaten by a good team & now they have got their noses in front & a fully fit squad, I don't think anyone will overhaul them.

I was sat right in front of a "song leader" & my ears are still ringing. After goal 4 off he goes with "We will win 5-4" or something similar. That is the spirit.

What was really disappointing, though, was the substantial exodus of "fans" from the A block after the fourth goal. I'm glad they missed Byfield's reply but not to wait till the match was over and give the team the applause that at least their first half efforts deserved was poor judgment and disrespectful to a team that has brought us on a fantastically enjoyable journey all through 2007.

Gary will get them geed up for Burnley & we will see how they will perform without both Louis & Liam & what character they have got in reserve. And LJ was great again today too. Come on you REDS!!

Archived