IGNORED

Ivan Sproule? Needs To Show His Worth

shepton red

This is not a dig because of today, more of a slow but surely build up of frustration in Sproule. He has got pace and skill to burn, but does not use regularly enough to convince me of his first 11 place. Today cried out for him to run at their defence to relieve the defence and get Trundle some much deserved service.

If he does not deliver on a more regular basis I believe that Murray should be given a life line, as he was doing well earlier this season, even if it was from the bench.

Thoughts...........

Rubbish.

He made some great runs today but didn't get picked out and on the one occasion he did get picked out he put in an ideal cross beggin Byfield to break the net only for him to spaff his load and totally miskick it from four yards out! The score was 2-0 at the time. :gaah::disapointed2se:

Ridiculous. At least 5 players worse than Ivan today. Basso, McCombe, Orr, McAllister & McIndoe

I would like to say congratulations to Ivan on the birth of his first child, a boy named Sam. Sam was born at 22.15 on christmas eve and Ivan missed training yesterday because of it.

All things considered, he has had an excellent start to his City career.

Don't forget, Murray rarely played well in big games, especially away from home. Cardiff being the notable exception.

This is not a dig because of today, more of a slow but surely build up of frustration in Sproule. He has got pace and skill to burn, but does not use regularly enough to convince me of his first 11 place. Today cried out for him to run at their defence to relieve the defence and get Trundle some much deserved service.

If he does not deliver on a more regular basis I believe that Murray should be given a life line, as he was doing well earlier this season, even if it was from the bench.

Thoughts...........

I agree, he does seem a bit over rated to me & hasnt really done it. Scotty Murray deserves a start to shake it up a bit.

At training GJ gets to see Sproule, Betsy, Wilson and Murray, players who can play right flank. In his 34th year, I believe Murray would have trouble proving he is a better starting selection than the other three.

As another forum poster said last week, he did not expect Murray to play much of a part for the rest of the season, I would have to agree. A good and popular City player he has been !

Thoughts...........

Sproule or Murray? Sproule every time....however, I do agree with you to a certain extent.

I was only saying to my Dad earlier today, Sproule is a raw talent and for all the pace he has, he still has so much to learn. Its almost as if he doesnt know how to use his own abilities. I'm sure given time he will find his feet and start producing more quality displays

Give him a break, he just had a baby on the eve of Xmas Eve, time to adjust and all that!!!

Shows how important GJ considers keeping a settled team is as he makes as few changes as he possibly can.

It was a big game today and too many players sounded like they weren't at their best, losing Carey was more of a blow that you'd think.

I doubt if many teams would have gone and got anything from Brom today. Fair play to them they did to us what we now have to go and do to other teams, take the chances, grind 'em down and then go for the kill. I'm sure GJ and his players learnt something today from almost certain promotion candidates.

Give him a break, he just had a baby on the eve of Xmas Eve, time to adjust and all that!!!

Shows how important GJ considers keeping a settled team is as he makes as few changes as he possibly can.

It was a big game today and too many players sounded like they weren't at their best, losing Carey was more of a blow that you'd think.

I doubt if many teams would have gone and got anything from Brom today. Fair play to them they did to us what we now have to go and do to other teams, take the chances, grind 'em down and then go for the kill. I'm sure GJ and his players learnt something today from almost certain promotion candidates.

I'm not getting on his back, just being honest and saying I don't think he has been all that great this season. He IS a good player, and he HAS bags and bags of ability, all I'm saying is in time, once he has adjusted to English football, hopefully he will be able to use his abilities with better effect

Readin that, Em, and I realise just how ineffective McIndoe REALLY was today....

I'm not getting on his back, just being honest and saying I don't think he has been all that great this season. He IS a good player, and he HAS bags and bags of ability, all I'm saying is in time, once he has adjusted to English football, hopefully he will be able to use his abilities with better effect

I wasn't pointing at you in particular :innocent06:

Yes I agree he needs time to adjust, we can't be that lucky to have all players slot in and look like they've been here for ages like Elliott can we! He's been suspended at the beginning of the season, away on international duty and then often subbed, not very settling and now a new baby. And believe me they disrupt anything and everything for a while!!!

I like Sproule, well I've always liked the excitement of wingers. We knew we wouldn' get many goals from him and we knew about his firey temper (nothing wrong with that! :whistle2: ), luckily we haven't seen much evidence of it.

Anyway I'm glad we have Sproule playing for us rather that trying to play against him, WBA did a job on us today, other teams won't!

On me long and winding drive home, stopped at the Cherwell Valley Services, and got chatting to a coupla Palace fans, who have been well surprised at our seasons performance, so far, asked if we were a footballing side or Watfart stylee football.

when I said footballing naturally, he said twill be a good game, and that we could well win there. by they way they said Cov really are shit, even if they scored twice second half

That to me is the best thing about this season, being complimented by our peers here, in this league. We are gaining admirers because we are playing good football (Well most of the time anyways), and not resorting to route one to survive. Unless your Barfdiff, and Muffalmighty anyways

Palace still thought we were a Danny Wilson side, bottling it at all oppurtunities, not the confident, attacking team we really are

There are only a couple of sides who ARE better than us this season, but a few others whose greater experience at this level, will probably ensure their higher finishing places

WBA are in my opinion the Champions elect. Ive seen no one like them so far in this league. most of the rest are a lot closer to us, one way or other.

Rubbish.

He made some great runs today but didn't get picked out and on the one occasion he did get picked out he put in an ideal cross beggin Byfield to break the net only for him to spaff his load and totally miskick it from four yards out! The score was 2-0 at the time. :gaah::disapointed2se:

Rubbish???? So you think that he realises his potential by running defenders?? I think you are spouting rubbish.... I am saying that if he had more belief in himself he would become a real asset to the team. To spice up his position in the team by adding competition can only be beneficial.

I'm in the undecided camp. Yes he has pace, but he needs to be more of an oulet.

The WBA right winger was hugging the touchline, something Sproule needs to do, instead of picking the ball up, run his usual ten yards of promise, only to turn and pass the ball back to Orr to fire a crap ball in the box.

He also needs to connect his head to his feet as half the time he runs past the ball... I like him and he has potential and the most important thing is I am begging for him to be our pure out and out exciting winger. So far, he is just not doing that.

Rubbish???? So you think that he realises his potential by running defenders?? I think you are spouting rubbish.... I am saying that if he had more belief in himself he would become a real asset to the team. To spice up his position in the team by adding competition can only be beneficial.

These are the facts.

- He's only been a pro three years and is still learning. The only way to learn is to play regular games.

- He's got all the raw attributes, remember the goal against Southampton, to become a fantastic player at this level.

- The service he gets doesn't exactly allow him to run at defenders. Orr goes long to the central striker more times than not instead of playing it simple to Sproule to attack the full back.

- He's a different player to Murray who is used to running in behind full backs, Ivan's game seems based on picking the ball up and running at players from deep.

- He celebrated the birth of his baby on Xmas Eve put still wasn't the worst player on the pitch yesterday.

- On the one occasion he did break wide in a good position, he produced a marvellous ball for Byfield who inexplicably failed to hit the target from four yards or whatever it was.

At the end of that day, GJ sees enough of him to give him a chance and that's good enough for me. I ain't going to get on his back 'for not realising his potential' against the best team in the league. I remember great crosses that led to goals for McIndoe v Sheff Utd and Norwich, a marvellous solo goal that set the win up against Southampton. The boys still learning and settling in with us, give him a break.

Has anyone just watched the Man City game?

Now for me Sproule was brought to the club to exactly what Petrov did for Man City....... run.

If you have been gifted pace like Petrov and Sproule have then you use it at every opportunity. Petrov tore Blackburn apart with his pace and everytime Man City got the ball on his side he would just run forward and see if the player on the ball could put him away.

Sproule as of late hasnt really been doing that. I'm not saying its Sproule's fault, it could be that he has been told to look for ball to feet more, or that the other players arnt giving the right sort of ball but what ever the reason i feel we are better when a winger just runs for the by line.

Archived