IGNORED

All Change At Burnley?

Bristol Boy

Carey Inj & Fontaine suspended so that's our best two defenders out-No argument.

Burnley have three suspended, so we can't complain.

I wouldnt think Brooker will be risked just yet although if Burnley doesn't go well, I wouldn't be amazed if he was on the bench when Coventry come calling

Burnely haven't won at home for seven games so how do we play this one?

Is it "there for the taking" or do we need to "come away from the game with something?"

Whatever happens, we'll need to make some changes so I reckon GJ will go for:

..........BASSO..................

ORR......VASKO...........MCCOMBE........MCALLISTER

SPROULE............ELLIOTT.........JOHNSON.........MCINDOE........

.........NOBLE....................

.........TRUNDLE................

SUBS

WEALE

SKUSE

BYFIELD

WILSON

SHOWUNMI

We need to retain the ball and Noble give us that.Skuse could come in for Sproule but that would alter the shape in midfield and detract from attacking a side that must be short on confidence at home.Vasko hasn't played for months but that can't be helped and it's a great opportunity for him to give GJ a selection dilema ahead of the Coventry game with McAllister & McCombe far from nailed on selection certainties.

I can't see GJ blooding Ribiero away frm home but he can't be far away from selection, at least as a sub.

Carey Inj & Fontaine suspended so that's our best two defenders out-No argument.

I wouldnt think Brooker will be risked just yet although if Burnley doesn't go well, I wouldn't be amazed if he was on the bench when Coventry come calling

Is it "there for the taking" or do we need to "come away from the game with something?"

..........BASSO.....

.........NOBLE.......

.........TRUNDLE...

SUBS

WEALE

SKUSE

BYFIELD

WILSON

SHOWUNMI

We need to retain the ball and Noble give us that.Skuse could come in for Sproule but that would alter the shape in midfield and detract from attacking a side that must be short on confidence at home.Vasko hasn't played for months but that can't be helped and it's a great opportunity for him to give GJ a selection dilema ahead of the Coventry game with McAllister & McCombe far from nailed on selection certainties.

I can't see GJ blooding Ribiero away frm home but he can't be far away from selection, at least as a sub.

I would be happy with that.Surprised we didn't play that formation today.

..........BASSO.....

.........NOBLE.......

.........TRUNDLE...

SUBS

WEALE

SKUSE

BYFIELD

WILSON

SHOWUNMI

A great opportunity for Vasko to stake a claim and provide some options for GJ. Ribeiro may be an outsider to travel.

NO

great for the first 60mins but then when Noble has hid 60mins and runs out of puff, we then have to change the formation

Burnley's home form is poor, so we need to get at them from the start

4-4-2

Basso

Orr, McCombe, Vasko, McAllister

Sproule, LJ, Elliott, McIndoe

Trundle

Byfield

I'd definetly set out with a 4-5-1 and bring Noble back in, after today we need to steady the ship. I agree with BB in that i think Vasco and McCombe will start and i am worried about this. Without Louis, McCombe is half the player he can be and Vasko has looked dodgy (apart from when up front!) all season. I think a point would be a good result bearing in mind all the injuries/suspensions/response to todays defeat. Lets hope we can dig out a Hull-away type performance, which was huge in helping us get out of our last bad run.

Back 4 picks themselves, as that's all we've gopt available.......Skuse to sit in front of the back 4, LJ and Super Marv (to push up but not in a noble role), with Murray in for Ivan (two bad games and quite badly exposed Orr in the first half yesterday) with Murray + Mc to push up, Enoch up front.

Trundle, Byfeild, noble, Wilson and Weale on the bench.

Whilst we go to win every game, Saturday needs to have some consolidation and regrouping.......a point would be a very good result.

I think he will go with this as he has played Skuse at CB in the reserves

......basso......

Orr.....McCombe..........Skuse .............Mcalister

Sproul..LJ.........Elliot.....Mcindoe

...trundle.....Byfield

Subs

Weale

Vasko

Noble

Shuwumni

Riberio

[/quo

I believe you may have it right. Skuse has played center back and done well. He is also quick and can move the ball out. Ribiero to come on after 60 minutes, giving us 2 Academy players as center backs. If Vasko can be in a winning side against Italy, I can only believe its a langauge difficulty that keeps him out of the side. Between now and M'bro in the cup I would like to see Artus on the bench to give Elliot and LJ a wake up call. Add to that, the forwards need to know that Brooker is breathing down their necks.

Look at the Premiership sides and how they fully use their squads, how 18-20 year olds get their chances. City are pretty much safe for next season, lets use the squad to full advantage.

We may be in a play off position, but we can perhaps do better and get auto promotion. Younger players have more scope to improve than older players. GJ give them a chance, you know you want to.

correct me if i'm wrong but our best performances have been with a 4-5-1 this season and i , like i suspect many others, was very suprised we didnt play it today even though i know GJ likes to stick with a winning team we needed a tight performance today.

My team for Burnley - same as Bris Boy.

yes, but you have to look at why we went away from the 4-5-1, the 4-5-1 is a suscess based on one player, Noble - the reason we went back away from it was because his form dipped and he just wasn't performing a few games back,and more importantly his inability to last more than an hour, his fitness and stamina is a joke and if the guy can't influcence a game for nearly 90mins then he isn't worth a start and that's the same for any player,

Noble is similar to Byfield and also Murray, good players however they are much more effective from the bench.

yes, but you have to look at why we went away from the 4-5-1, the 4-5-1 is a suscess based on one player, Noble - the reason we went back away from it was because his form dipped and he just wasn't performing a few games back,and more importantly his inability to last more than an hour, his fitness and stamina is a joke and if the guy can't influcence a game for nearly 90mins then he isn't worth a start and that's the same for any player,

Noble is similar to Byfield and also Murray, good players however they are much more effective from the bench.

Quite right about Noble, he simply isn't fit enough and can't last the 90, personally he wouldn't even be in my 16, as Murray (a good alternative to Sproule and a more likely scorer than DN) would.

I agree about Skuse as a possible CB as in Carey and Fontaine's absence we have no pace otherwise, but in view of McCombe's recent form it could be that he plays alongside Vasko, not in place of him.

Two other thoughts, Basso has been brilliant this season but after a couple of recent errors I wouldn't be all that shocked to see Weale given a start at Turf Moor and Byfield's goals to games surely merits a place in the XI now?

He has 7 so far whereas if Trundle maintains his current scoring ratio he won't get that in a season.

On the official site, GJ has announced that Tomas Vasko will definitely be playing against Burnley.

I'm not so sure that the partnership with McCombe will work, but against physical strikers like Ade, Gray and Blake, it may be the right game. With regards to the rest of the team, i don't think GJ will give the nod to Noble to start. I think we'll see our usual midfield, with Byfield and Trundle getting the start.

Sorry BB, but there's no way in hell that team will take the field at Turf Moor because GJ won't play Trundle and Noble in the same side as I reckon, as do a lot of others on here, that he believes Nobe's runs out of steam after 50 or so minutes.

So if we are to go with that formation then I'd expect one of them to drop to the bench behind a big man, most likely Showunmi. Brooker can't be far away and wouldn't be surprised to see him on the bench depending on whether Trundle starts or not because you obviously can't have three strikers on the bench but if Nobe's was on there then I could see him making the 16.

Agree retention of the ball is key as their fans will turn on them after 30mins or so, especially given their winless run at home for two months or so. Vasko/McCombe fill me with dread to be honest. The Blake/Gray partnership was one of the best I've seen this season and they could really profit from playing against two pedestrian centre-backs. I wouldn't mind seeing Skuse thrown in there personally considering he made his debut there years ago and got MOTM in that role as well. Just a thought...

The Blake/Gray partnership was one of the best I've seen this season and they could really profit from playing against two pedestrian centre-backs. I wouldn't mind seeing Skuse thrown in there personally considering he made his debut there years ago and got MOTM in that role as well. Just a thought...

Gray didn't play in Burnley's game yesterday - he wasn't on the bench either, injured I guess. Adi partnered Blake and Adi in fact scored. So I guess whoever starts for us faces a Blake/Adi strikeforce.

Potentially I'd prefer Vasko and Skuse - but I doubt this is the time to try a completely new C/B pairing. It will be McCoombe and Vasko but like others have posted McCoombe is being caught for pace - and he can't turn. Teams are smarter at this level, if there is a weakness it will be exploited and so far this season Jamie has only looked comfortable when attacking the ball in the air or when facing the play.

CR

Gray didn't play in Burnley's game yesterday - he wasn't on the bench either, injured I guess. Adi partnered Blake and Adi in fact scored. So I guess whoever starts for us faces a Blake/Adi strikeforce.

Potentially I'd prefer Vasko and Skuse - but I doubt this is the time to try a completely new C/B pairing. It will be McCoombe and Vasko but like others have posted McCoombe is being caught for pace - and he can't turn. Teams are smarter at this level, if there is a weakness it will be exploited and so far this season Jamie has only looked comfortable when attacking the ball in the air or when facing the play.

CR

Well, if Gray's out then that blunts their attack tenfold. I've had a little look on their website and I couldn't find any mention of him being injured so I wonder if they're wrapping him up in cotton wool for a January move?!

Still, Robbie Blake is a class act at this level and a very clever player indeed so the Vasko/McCombe combo will have to be at their very best to nullify him. I'd fancy our chances more if Blake was out instead of Gray because I reckon Vasko/McCombe would fare better against two big 'uns like Akinbiyi/Gray than the wile of Blake. Ah well, we'll find out soon enough...

correct me if i'm wrong but our best performances have been with a 4-5-1 this season

You're right and it's a point that many miss

and i , like i suspect many others, was very suprised we didnt play it today even though i know GJ likes to stick with a winning team we needed a tight performance today.

The point now being that the team didn't win-It was thrashed.

I'd definetly set out with a 4-5-1 and bring Noble back in, after today we need to steady the ship. I agree with BB in that i think Vasco and McCombe will start and i am worried about this. Without Louis, McCombe is half the player he can be and Vasko has looked dodgy (apart from when up front!) all season. I think a point would be a good result bearing in mind all the injuries/suspensions/response to todays defeat. Lets hope we can dig out a Hull-away type performance, which was huge in helping us get out of our last bad run.

I can't see any other partnership lining up although Skuse is a decent centre back and has impressed me when I've seen him next to a big gentre half.

Having watched Noble since GJ signed him to play in central midfield, I've seen him play ninety minutes on many occasions.His move to the wthdrawn role was borne out of a crisis when all of our strikers were injured against Boro and for me, his combination in central midfield with Russell or Skuse saw us play some of our best football in ages.He's been wthdrawn on two occassions lately due to sendings off at Ipswich & Hull.

His performance at Hull was excellent and his inclusion in the side gives us our best shape and brings out the best in LJ & Elliott.I'd actually play Skuse & Elliott in the two central midfield positions to give us a better defensive balance and Noble in front of them switching LJ to the bench.Playing one up front with two wingers is far from a negative formation but we still need to defend as well as attack, as yesterday showed.

I agree about Byfield & Murray and you can add Trundle to that list but not Noble although e looked the part in his brief appearance at WBA.

Sorry BB, but there's no way in hell that team will take the field at Turf Moor because GJ won't play Trundle and Noble in the same side as I reckon, as do a lot of others on here, that he believes Nobe's runs out of steam after 50 or so minutes.

If true, that's a real shame because they're probably two of the best footballers, technically, at the club.We've got a lot of runners & workers but, as yesterday proved, what we lack is quality & technical ability.Noble & Trundle are on the same wavelength in that respect and see passes & angles that the others don't.

So if we are to go with that formation then I'd expect one of them to drop to the bench behind a big man, most likely Showunmi. Brooker can't be far away and wouldn't be surprised to see him on the bench depending on whether Trundle starts or not because you obviously can't have three strikers on the bench but if Nobe's was on there then I could see him making the 16.

Brooker may be a sub at Burnley or against Cov depending on results & injuries.

Agree retention of the ball is key as their fans will turn on them after 30mins or so, especially given their winless run at home for two months or so. Vasko/McCombe fill me with dread to be honest. The Blake/Gray partnership was one of the best I've seen this season and they could really profit from playing against two pedestrian centre-backs. I wouldn't mind seeing Skuse thrown in there personally considering he made his debut there years ago and got MOTM in that role as well. Just a thought...

And that's the main point-Without Noble, we don't retain the ball.It's as simple as that.Despite playing well in the first half yesterday we had about 25% of possession overall-Give the other team the ball 75% of the time and the law of averages tells you they'll hurt you a lot more than if they have 50% of it-Noble gives you that and if we sign a midfielder it should be one that can play the withdrawn role when Noble isn't available.

And that's the main point-Without Noble, we don't retain the ball.It's as simple as that.Despite playing well in the first half yesterday we had about 25% of possession overall-Give the other team the ball 75% of the time and the law of averages tells you they'll hurt you a lot more than if they have 50% of it-Noble gives you that and if we sign a midfielder it should be one that can play the withdrawn role when Noble isn't available.

Yes he played well at Hull prior to being subbed, but at Ipswich he was due to the sending off, but his performance till then was one of the worst of the city players on the pitch, for a player that is supposed to help us keep the ball as a team, that was the BIGGEST problem at Ipswich, at home to ipswich start of the 2nd half he was SHOCKING until subbed when again....we couldn't keep the ball and the less said about his plymouth performance the better.

Noble did play well at West Brom, because he came off the bench fresh and that's the role I would leave him with while he is still at the club, he's had his chances and unfortunately, although there have been some good ones, there has also been too many bad ones.

I hope Carey recovers in time. McCombe and Vasko paired at centre half against Andy Gray and Robbie Blake has the potential to be a complete nightmare.

Unless GJ's playing a major flanker Carey's out although Burnely have three suspended and Gray could be out injured along with another player so things are more than evened out.

The trick will be to close Burnley down and starve them of service apart from the long ball which is meat & drink for McCombe.Vasko is probably better next to a first ball winner although, the two players out are the two we can least afford to miss, I'll agree.

We'll soon know if we have a strong squad or just a lot of players!

Surely 4/5 must move out if we bring two quality players in??

How many wide right players do we have??

I would go with a 4-1-4-1 formation.

Basso

Orr Vasko McCombe McCallister

Skuse

Sproule Johnson Elliott Mcindoe

Byfield

Skuse to play infornt of McCombe who is not so good on the ball or floor and is lacking confidence. Don't know what Vasko is like but he might need some protection in front of him. Still a fairly attacking formation because all the midfield like to get forward. Byfield upfront because of his speed and can be assisited by quick breaks down the flanks.

Unless GJ's playing a major flanker Carey's out although Burnely have three suspended and Gray could be out injured along with another player so things are more than evened out.

The trick will be to close Burnley down and starve them of service apart from the long ball which is meat & drink for McCombe.Vasko is probably better next to a first ball winner although, the two players out are the two we can least afford to miss, I'll agree.

We'll soon know if we have a strong squad or just a lot of players!

Surely 4/5 must move out if we bring two quality players in??

How many wide right players do we have??

Burnley actually have 4 players suspended (Gudjonsson, McCann, Spicer and Alexander) and 4 injured (Berisha, Duff, Mahon and Gray). All 8 would be in contention to start if available. Seeing as we only have a first team squad of 23 which includes an 18 year old yet to make his debut and another who hasn't featured for 12 months, we will probably have a couple of untried apprentices on the bench tomorrow. So you probably won't have a better chance to win.

However, there is a chance that Andy Gray and Alan Mahon will be fit, whic would make a huge difference to our chances.

Burnley actually have 4 players suspended (Gudjonsson, McCann, Spicer and Alexander) and 4 injured (Berisha, Duff, Mahon and Gray). All 8 would be in contention to start if available. Seeing as we only have a first team squad of 23 which includes an 18 year old yet to make his debut and another who hasn't featured for 12 months, we will probably have a couple of untried apprentices on the bench tomorrow. So you probably won't have a better chance to win.

However, there is a chance that Andy Gray and Alan Mahon will be fit, whic would make a huge difference to our chances.

Without doubt Gray looks the main goal threat and we could do with him being out for this one.Mahon's a good player but seems to have been injury prone over recent seasons.

I hope we can deal with Blake because he'll drop off the front into the hole and he can create as well as score goals.

I think it'll be an open game and given the shortages in both teams I'll go for a 2-2 draw.

Archived