IGNORED

Defence For The Defence

Terace

Yes, Yesterdays defeat was not only disappointing it was an embarrasment in terms. Fair play to WBA. The defeat gave more ammunition to those who would dare to suggest that we do not have the right promotion credentials. We all know that without Carey at the back in any combination we struggle no mattter what other personnel combination we have back there and that was a worry from the start from a fans view. However, in my opinion if it wasn't for the defence we would not be where we are today. We have defended like trojans for the most part and credit should be given where credit is due.

I would be more likely to argue that the forwards Trundle,Showunmi ,Byfield do not retain the ball long enough,consistently enough and make good use of in key areas. The ball comes back at us too quickly and unless Noble plays, we do not seem able to keep the ball in our opponents half with a view to threaten as any moves break down rapidly. In fact we are too nice up there..time for Brooks? The two widemen, Ivan in particular have pace. it frustrates me when I see him check back in on a quick break and by that time they have filtered back and the move breaks down unless Nobes links up . Ivan can hit the byline every time as he has pace to burn -you cant mark speed and no defender likes pace against them.

So I would say lay off the defence abit because a clinical attack IS the best form of defence.

CTID

Yes, Yesterdays defeat was not only disappointing it was an embarrasment in terms. Fair play to WBA. The defeat gave more ammunition to those who would dare to suggest that we do not have the right promotion credentials. We all know that without Carey at the back in any combination we struggle no mattter what other personnel combination we have back there and that was a worry from the start from a fans view. However, in my opinion if it wasn't for the defence we would not be where we are today. We have defended like trojans for the most part and credit should be given where credit is due.

I would be more likely to argue that the forwards Trundle,Showunmi ,Byfield do not retain the ball long enough,consistently enough and make good use of in key areas. The ball comes back at us too quickly and unless Noble plays, we do not seem able to keep the ball in our opponents half with a view to threaten as any moves break down rapidly. In fact we are too nice up there..time for Brooks? The two widemen, Ivan in particular have pace. it frustrates me when I see him check back in on a quick break and by that time they have filtered back and the move breaks down unless Nobes links up . Ivan can hit the byline every time as he has pace to burn -you cant mark speed and no defender likes pace against them.

So I would say lay off the defence abit because a clinical attack IS the best form of defence.

CTID

Agree. To many times yesterday when we managed to gain posession we lumped it upfield and squandered possesion. There was very little thought/skill in our approach play, and that just heaped the pressure back o the defence. As I stated in a previous thread, it is time to feed the ball to the wide men and let them use their obvious pace to relieve the defence of pressure and get the ball in at Trundles feet, or deliver crosses from the byline to Enoch's head. This not adverse criticism of the wide players but they need to be more positive.

Agree. To many times yesterday when we managed to gain posession we lumped it upfield and squandered possesion. There was very little thought/skill in our approach play, and that just heaped the pressure back o the defence. As I stated in a previous thread, it is time to feed the ball to the wide men and let them use their obvious pace to relieve the defence of pressure and get the ball in at Trundles feet, or deliver crosses from the byline to Enoch's head. This not adverse criticism of the wide players but they need to be more positive.

Yep - defence starts from Enoch/Trundle closing down their keeper on a pass back.

Elliott and Johnson tracking back and also coming with the runners.

McIndoe and Sproule staying with their full backs who are charging forward.

It's a team game.

However, the back 4 yesterday wasn't good.

They've performed admirably all season but I am coming more and more around to the idea that McCombe is going to struggle in this division.

He was fantastic last season but the forwards he was up against were of a different type to what he faces now.

In L1 you can succeed with slower big aggressive forwards who are strong in the air and slower to turn etc.

Look who we have now? McIndoe and Sproule? They wouldn't be with us if we were in L1.

In the Championship you succeed with forwards and attacking players who are high on skill and fast, quick footed and turn/shoot in a blick of an eye. Kevin Phillips and Ishmael Miller were fast as ###### yesterday.

McCombe succeeded last season because the L1 strikers play to his strengths. He's great in the air and he'll deal with those balls all day. They are slow to turn and he times his tackle well.

Against quality Championship forwards, it's hard for me to watch because they turn him every time and are far too quick for him.

We desperately need another central defender option for cover for Fontaine and Carey - he isn't the answer.

I don't know if Vasko is because to be honest I've hardly seen him play at the back - only up front!!!

Ironically, I think Burnley are one of the few sides which will suit McCombe - big, lumbering and long ball.

Hence he should play in place of Carey/Fontaine.

I think the midfield were the problem, they lost control of the game in the second half. WBA then took us apart. It stabilised when Noble came on, giving GJ a bit of space to work, but it was far too late by then. I personally would have changed things when we went one down. May have stabilised things, we'll never know.

Archived