IGNORED

The What Have You Learnt Today Thread

fka dagest

I've just read something that surprised me. I didn't realise that our old mucker Neanderthal man lived for such a long time. Apparently he was strutting his stuff from about 350,000 BC and only died out (well, we kicked his arse didn't we?) around 24,000 BC. Now given that our gang (The Homo Sapien Crew) didn't start chilin' on the East side of Mother Africa until about 150,000 BC and we're still only in 2007, shouldn't we give the Neanderthals a bit more respect? I mean, perhaps the dude was better at survival than we'll ever prove to be.

:smartass:

I've just read something that surprised me. I didn't realise that our old mucker Neanderthal man lived for such a long time. Apparently he was strutting his stuff from about 350,000 BC and only died out (well, we kicked his arse didn't we?) around 24,000 BC. Now given that our gang (The Homo Sapien Crew) didn't start chilin' on the East side of Mother Africa until about 150,000 BC and we're still only in 2007, shouldn't we give the Neanderthals a bit more respect? I mean, perhaps the dude was better at survival than we'll ever prove to be.

:smartass:

Yes they were and we lived alongside Neanderthal man for thousands of years......... strange thing being a winner because it does not mean you will be the winners forever...... maybe mankind puts that thought on the back burner?

There is evidence that they cared for their sick and disabled plus buried their dead..... the whole subject has never done anything other than fascinate me...........just how far removed were they at being human..... it is generally accepted that they were in many ways...... just a parallel version...... of us really.......

Yes they were and we lived alongside Neanderthal man for thousands of years......... strange thing being a winner because it does not mean you will be the winners forever...... maybe mankind puts that thought on the back burner?

There is evidence that they cared for their sick and disabled plus buried their dead..... the whole subject has never done anything other than fascinate me...........just how far removed were they at being human..... it is generally accepted that they were in many ways...... just a parallel version...... of us really.......

Yeah, I must admit I'd only given it scant attention before. But what is also fascinating is all the other monkey-humans types walking around like Homo Erectus and Homo Ergaster. It's bizarre to think all these primitive human types were hanging out together (not literally I guess) for hell of a long time. What's most strange though is how "we" turn up very late in the day and suddenly hit the evolutionary 5th gear. It seems that most scientists think that it's all to do with with our capacity for sophisticated speech, which is purely anatomical.

...I learned (or rather been reminded yet again) that 'long lasting' energy saving lightbulbs aint as long lasting as they say.. have had two or three 'die' on me in recent months -non of 'em anywhere near they're expected expiry date - (where the hell do they come up with figures of up to TWELVE YEARS from?

(sure they save energy, but do they do what they say on the box??)

Yeah, I must admit I'd only given it scant attention before. But what is also fascinating is all the other monkey-humans types walking around like Homo Erectus and Homo Ergaster. It's bizarre to think all these primitive human types were hanging out together (not literally I guess) for hell of a long time. What's most strange though is how "we" turn up very late in the day and suddenly hit the evolutionary 5th gear. It seems that most scientists think that it's all to do with with our capacity for sophisticated speech, which is purely anatomical.

If you like this subject............ you'll love finding out about Mammoths..... very interesting too...... they may have survived the onslaught of mankind for a while longer than we at first thought by becoming smaller and moving even further North

Remember....... at our latitude..... we would be under snow if it were not for the Gulf Stream....well that could lead us to global warming....might yet be a blip.... the earth has been very much warmer and colder in the past.

The next Ice age could yet be just round the corner in geological terms?

Archived