IGNORED

Atmosphere

Guest Harry May

Guest Harry May

Abit surprised that today's EP only rates the atmosphere as 8 against QPR. I thought it was the best for several seasons - when our backs are against the wall and there's abit of needle - it always seems to bring out the best in the AG faithful.

In recent years , the only game I can recall with a better atmosphere was the Millwall home game which we won 2-1.

I only hope every game is like that to the end of the season.

Both the players and the fans alike have set a benchmark for the rest of the season. Hostile , determined , aggresive and passionate.

Caldicot Red.

Yes the place was rocking throughout. I was stunned though to read the comments of one or two QPR fans on their rivals board that we were quiet and they outsung us. Quite the reverse from our little corner of the East End.

Although it's difficult to hear the rest of the ground from the EE due to the tunnel-like acoustics, it looked pretty boisterous all round and I'm pretty sure I almost heard 'Come on you reds' drifting over from the Williams at one point! :D

You forget who we are.

If there was a full-house (or should I say bungalow) at the Memorial Stadium, the E.P. would give it a 10 and talk about how there was lots of families there; the smiles on childrens faces yah-de-yah-deyah! :D

You forget who we are.

If there was a full-house (or should I say bungalow) at the Memorial Stadium, the E.P. would give it a 10 and talk about how there was lots of families there; the smiles on childrens faces yah-de-yah-deyah! :D

Yes, a bit of PR work to build relations between the club and the local media may go some way towards addressing this perceived imbalance.

Perhaps banning them from talking to our players isn't the best first step along that road.

We all know that the evening post is truley the crappest rag money can buy. When we beat the gas 3-2 when Beads scored, i think they only gave the atmosphere a 7 or 8.

Prize ######s they are.

Your wrong, that title goes to the Western Daily Press, theres more Man Utd and Arsenal bits in there most days than our local teams, surely they could produce at least a page of news to each of our clubs on a daily basis.

That atmosphere thing in the EP is a joke. It always stays the same- no matter what- it normally goes around 5-6. Then, they probably looked at the number of fans and stuck it up a couple.

THE ATMOSPHERE ON SATURDAY BY US CITY FANS WAS SUPERB. DON'T LET ANYONE, TELL YOU THAT IT WASN'T. WELL DONE ALL. BE PROUD.

Guest Bawno
Hostile , determined , aggresive and passionate.

I wouldn't call it agresive...I was sat in the east end and all I could see was a bunch of kids dressed like rupert the bear pointing fingers at QPR fans! :@

Well, for me, the atmosphere and noise in the ground on Saturday was the best of the season.

I sit in the Williams around the halfway line and I can confirm that there was singing all around the ground (including the Williams!) with 'come on you reds' getting the whole ground singing in unison (apart from the hooped types).

I hardly heard QPR at all. Most of the time they were drowned out by the EE.

As someone who rarely sings or chants, I have to say - well done all - be proud.

Guest Rikku

I think it was easily the best home atmosphere of the season. Before saturday, that title could have gone to either the Southampton or Sheff Weds matches at AG but on those occasions that was partly down to noisy away fans as well as the home contingent. QPR did make a bit of noise just after the beginning of the second half for about five minutes but, other than that, we outsung them all the way through! Just hope we do that from now until the end of the season!! I had no voice left once the final whistle had gone and I'm still slightly hoarse now!! :cool:

Your wrong, that title goes to the Western Daily Press, theres more Man Utd and Arsenal bits in there most days than our local teams, surely they could produce at least a page of news to each of our clubs on a daily basis.
Probably not, if the club have gagged the players from talking!

It's a bizarre situation, in my opinion.

As a club the players are our biggest PR tool and this is the time when we should surely be looking to attract as many people as possible down to Ashton Gate for the climax to the season. We need to get people across the whole city excited and talking about us and the success we're looking to bring to the city, thereby drawing in the fairweather fans and persuading some new ones to experience a game down the Gate. But it's tough to expect people to write about you, talk about you on the radio, feature you on the TV etc if they can't even talk to the people the "stars" that the fans come to see?

Personally, if Danny genuinely feels that talking about promotion is a distraction, then as a fan I'm for anything that improves our chances. If I thought it was the difference between getting promotion and not, then it's a price I'd be willing to pay. However, I also think if the players are genuinely so unfocused that they can't handle talking publicly about their one over-riding goal for the season then we have a problem. Actually, I suspect they are perfectly capable of doing so if Danny stopped acting like their nanny.

The players have spent their entire season - some their entire career - dreaming about promotion, suffering an agonising, rigorous physical fitness regime to stay fighting fit for promotion, knowing that their salary levels and standard of living for their families depend on promotion, knowing that their reputations depend on promotion and dreaming of the glory of promotion. To think that simply talking about it will alter their focus seems a little absurd to me. But what do I know?

Guest Mr Snufflelufagus
Your wrong, that title goes to the Western Daily Press,
Correct especially that bloke who does co commentry on some away games.

Chris Spittles I think.

Probably not, if the club have gagged the players from talking!

It's a bizarre situation, in my opinion.

As a club the players are our biggest PR tool and this is the time when we should surely be looking to attract as many people as possible down to Ashton Gate for the climax to the season. We need to get people across the whole city excited and talking about us and the success we're looking to bring to the city, thereby drawing in the fairweather fans and persuading some new ones to experience a game down the Gate. But it's tough to expect people to write about you, talk about you on the radio, feature you on the TV etc if they can't even talk to the people the "stars" that the fans come to see?

Personally, if Danny genuinely feels that talking about promotion is a distraction, then as a fan I'm for anything that improves our chances. If I thought it was the difference between getting promotion and not, then it's a price I'd be willing to pay. However, I also think if the players are genuinely so unfocused that they can't handle talking publicly about their one over-riding goal for the season then we have a problem. Actually, I suspect they are perfectly capable of doing so if Danny stopped acting like their nanny.

The players have spent their entire season - some their entire career - dreaming about promotion, suffering an agonising, rigorous physical fitness regime to stay fighting fit for promotion, knowing that their salary levels and standard of living for their families depend on promotion, knowing that their reputations depend on promotion and dreaming of the glory of promotion. To think that simply talking about it will alter their focus seems a little absurd to me. But what do I know?

I think I agree with RedTop on that one. At the end of the day it is up to DW whether or not his players talk to the press. But it is ashame.

Being in London now I don't get to read the EP/WDP that often- but when I used to they used to normally have a City and a Rovers story on the back pages each issue.

To be fair to them- the demand probably isn't for local footy- I would be interested to know how many people in their area support City/Rovers/Man Utd etc

Archived