IGNORED

Tommy Doc & Craig Woodman

Dastardly and Muttley

In order to get my New Year's fix, I went to see my new local side, Wycombe for the first time yesterday.

Firstly, I must say how shockingly bad League 2 football can be, very few chances, and I need a neck brace after watching most of the whoosh-ball that was played.

The only things that held my interest were the performances of the Doc and Craig Woodman. Doherty looked head and shoulders above anything else on the pitch for the first hour or so before, surprise surprise, he ran out of steam and was substituted. As per usual, there was the hefty challenge, a squaring up with an opponent and a yellow card for dissent, but this is one player who knows how to fire up his team mates and the crowd. In their programme, Stefan Oakes says he's the best player he's ever played with or against.

Woodman looked distinctly average. First half, all Wycombe's play went through him, as Barnet restricted them to long, pumped balls from Woodman up to the strikers. Second half, he was tested to the limit by a pacy right winger, and just about did enough.

Anyway, seems like they're both doing reasonably well here. Doherty is a fan's favourite, but must surely find a League 1 club soon, and Woodman seems to have found his level.

Also - this was my first real encounter with terracing at a football match, and the atmosphere was very good, with only 4000ish in the ground.

Archived