IGNORED

Christian Ribeiro To Charlton

Olé

Our Wales Under-18 captain, target for Charlton, as reported in this mornings Times, which doesn't tend to publish rumour unless its someway credible.

Decent Bets

Charlton Athletic have been monitoring Christian Ribeiro, the Bristol City defender. Ribeiro, 18, has come through the youth system at Ashton Gate but has not played for the first team.

Source: Today's Times - also online here: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle3123725.ece

One season out of the Premiership and Charlton are playing catch up with us in the Championship and after our youth players now, Things really have turned around completely.

He's meant to be the highest rated player from the academy at the minute. It's not surprising people are watching him.

Makes no real sense to swap being around 9th choice defender here for the same at charlton. He's progressing here nicely but may be getting to the stage where he needs to play first team football. I think he should go on loan. It took a suspension and 2 injuries for him even to make the bench.

Edit - Just adding what i think generally about the current academy lot.

We've got 4 young professionals (defenders) on the books in Ribeiro, Wilson, Slocombe and Walker so it's clear that Gj rates them highly. Watford had a good system under him so it seems if he works with them a long time at a young level he does get them through into first teams. but we've no young academy players in our team, and i can't remember a host of Yeovil youngsters coming through either.

Have we as a club completely outgrown our youth players? I mean, i wouldn't feel at all comfortable seeing them pitched into a top of the championship game. Luckily we probably won't have to see that because of the versatility of the players we currently have. Wilson, Skuse, Fontaine, Carey all cover other positions along the back line more than adequately.

He's meant to be the highest rated player from the academy at the minute. It's not surprising people are watching him.

Makes no real sense to swap being around 9th choice defender here for the same at charlton. He's progressing here nicely but may be getting to the stage where he needs to play first team football. I think he should go on loan. It took a suspension and 2 injuries for him even to make the bench.

Edit - Just adding what i think generally about the current academy lot.

We've got 4 young professionals (defenders) on the books in Ribeiro, Wilson, Slocombe and Walker so it's clear that Gj rates them highly. Watford had a good system under him so it seems if he works with them a long time at a young level he does get them through into first teams. but we've no young academy players in our team, and i can't remember a host of Yeovil youngsters coming through either.

Have we as a club completely outgrown our youth players? I mean, i wouldn't feel at all comfortable seeing them pitched into a top of the championship game. Luckily we probably won't have to see that because of the versatility of the players we currently have. Wilson, Skuse, Fontaine, Carey all cover other positions along the back line more than adequately.

So if Palace can pitch 16 and 17 year olds into Championship games why can't we? Warnock gave his younmg players a chance and it seems to have transformed their season.

So if Palace can pitch 16 and 17 year olds into Championship games why can't we? Warnock gave his younmg players a chance and it seems to have transformed their season.

Palace were going nowhere and Warnock couldn't buy so good luck to him for taking a risk BUT we ARE going somewhere and I'm more than happy to let GJ call the shots and judge when they're ready to be blooded ( but I must admit to being a little confused over GJ's blinkered view of LJ and use of Enoch?) BUT what do I know - equal top aint too bad!!!

There seems to be a bit of interest from a number of 1st divison clubs wanting to take Ribeiro on loan.

As rightly pointed out. Currently it will take at least 3 of the first team defensive players to be missing before he even makes the bench at City. As such the club may be happy for him to go out on a short term loan and play 1st team football elsewhere.

On a different track, rumour within the football and agents forums, state that a number of premiership clubs are tracking him. teams like Villa and Bolton. So maybe the club is actually considering selling him. Does anyone know more about this?

Archived