IGNORED

Soccer Skills From The Open End.

double-trouble

My word , going back to the mid 1970's again now .

Does anyone remember going to the Gate and sitting in the old open end when the club use to have the soccerskills day .

Based on the well watched BBC1 Superstars and Its a Knockout programmes of the time , the afternoon was based around different soccer skills.Points were awarded for each event .

Best part was though that the players of the day were the competitors , I believe in teams of 4 or 6 .

Other clubs around the country would send teams and I remember watching this 2 or 3 times in the close seasons .

Fantastic as a kid seeing the players of the day and the kits ( which you would only glimpse on MOTD or The Big Match ( Sunday Afternoons ).

Sprints , kicking the ball through baskets ( a la Soccer A.M ) ETC .. we would buy the programme and mark off the players / team scores as the afternoon progressed .

Great memories , always exciting at the last event if it was close . :clapping::clapping::clapping:

My word , going back to the mid 1970's again now .

Does anyone remember going to the Gate and sitting in the old open end when the club use to have the soccerskills day .

Based on the well watched BBC1 Superstars and Its a Knockout programmes of the time , the afternoon was based around different soccer skills.Points were awarded for each event .

Best part was though that the players of the day were the competitors , I believe in teams of 4 or 6 .

Other clubs around the country would send teams and I remember watching this 2 or 3 times in the close seasons .

Fantastic as a kid seeing the players of the day and the kits ( which you would only glimpse on MOTD or The Big Match ( Sunday Afternoons ).

Sprints , kicking the ball through baskets ( a la Soccer A.M ) ETC .. we would buy the programme and mark off the players / team scores as the afternoon progressed .

Great memories , always exciting at the last event if it was close . :clapping::clapping::clapping:

Was it not called 'All in the game' or something like that?

Was it not called 'All in the game' or something like that?

Yes you are right I,m sure , just glad someone else can remember it as I thought I'd lived a past life in a different time . What luck though , I must have been in Bristol , and prob . a City fan .

What a great day , from memory it was an event that was organised a few years running .

Yes you are right I,m sure , just glad someone else can remember it as I thought I'd lived a past life in a different time . What luck though , I must have been in Bristol , and prob . a City fan .

What a great day , from memory it was an event that was organised a few years running .

yeah, I remember it as a lad, I also remember City being rather poor at the keepy uppy game and the game where someone stood in a marked out circle and someone had to try and cross the ball to them!!

yeah, I remember it as a lad, I also remember City being rather poor at the keepy uppy game and the game where someone stood in a marked out circle and someone had to try and cross the ball to them!!

Its all coming back now . Sure Clive Whitehead was one involved . It was the first team players of the day not the reserves which would prob . be the case now .

Its all coming back now . Sure Clive Whitehead was one involved . It was the first team players of the day not the reserves which would prob . be the case now .

Yes it was definately the first team and from memory teams like Wolves and a few of the london clubs sent teams. I think I may have a program from the said event at home, I will have a look out for it. The only other thing I remember is that I watched it from the old 'Grandstand' with the enclosure below!!

I was there, although from my memory only the Grandstand and Enclosure were open and they were packed with about 8,500 fans.

All in the Game it was, and introduced on the pitch by Dickie Davies.

I thought it was pretty poor entertainment, the biggish crowd was brought in by the fact it took place in the close season straight after City got promoted, and only a few weeks before the match at Highbury.

Most memorable thing to me was a large group of Rovers fans had come down and when they made themselves known in the Enclosure a huge punch up took place in the background behind Dickie Davies as he introduced the next event with his customary enthusiasm The brawling crowd, fully in camera behind him, were swaying and parting dramatically as the fight took place, but Dickie Davies grinned on regardless.

The police were quickly much in evidence dragging the combatants out, and if memory serves me correctly nine people were arrested.

All in the Game

Host Dickie Davies & Brian Moore

Broadcast ITV Sport for ITV, 1976-8

Synopsis: Kind of a proto-Superteams, with two famous soccer sides testing their skills at a variety of footballing challenges.

Categories: Sport

..:laugh:, yeah I remember watching from the enclosure (Grandstand/Williams) on one of the recording days, totally naff as far as I recall, & yeah City were pretty crap (btw.. anyone remember our team members who took part?) it was a kind of knockout competition & I don't think we got too far in it.

...just a thought - What a great format for Jed Pitman & Co to revive! ... be just up his street I'd imagine (naff) , he could present an amateur version from The Downs or something.. (royalties to Whistlehappy please Jed -I thought of it first! :) )

All in the Game

Host Dickie Davies & Brian Moore

Broadcast ITV Sport for ITV, 1976-8

Synopsis: Kind of a proto-Superteams, with two famous soccer sides testing their skills at a variety of footballing challenges.

Categories: Sport

..:laugh:, yeah I remember watching from the enclosure (Grandstand/Williams) on one of the recording days, totally naff as far as I recall, & yeah City were pretty crap (btw.. anyone remember our team members who took part?) it was a kind of knockout competition & I don't think we got too far in it.

...just a thought - What a great format for Jed Pitman & Co to revive! ... be just up his street I'd imagine (naff) , he could present an amateur version from The Downs or something.. (royalties to Whistlehappy please Jed -I thought of it first! :) )

Whistlehappy just read your latest post with all this information . Top quality . Yes looking back now it seems naff but at the time as a kid - loved it .

Can't remember Dickie Davis doing the prog . or even remember it being on ITV . You don't know what teams were involved do you or who ( star ish names of the day ) ?

Thanks for the info , I'll pass this onto person I had the original disc . with , who came with me but can't remember the event . This might jog the memory now . :clap::clap:

Whistlehappy just read your latest post with all this information . Top quality . Yes looking back now it seems naff but at the time as a kid - loved it .

Can't remember Dickie Davis doing the prog . or even remember it being on ITV . You don't know what teams were involved do you or who ( star ish names of the day ) ?

Thanks for the info , I'll pass this onto person I had the original disc . with , who came with me but can't remember the event . This might jog the memory now . :clap::clap:

Just a quick copy 'n paste google search mate, ... did look a fair bit better on the telly tbh, pretty dire watching live. Cant remember specific teams who took part but quite sure it included some 'top teams' & a few 'stars' (someone here will no doubt recall?) ... would've been much better if it included a bike race for Keegan to have a bash at! :)

Seem to remember Wolves and possibly Man City there. So the likes of Alan Sunderland, John Richards, Dave Wagstaff, Derek Dougan, plus Joe Royle, Dennis Tueart, Francis Lee, Colin Bell. Just guesses really, but that era.

Sure i can picture Gerry Gow for City.

Funny thing was Alan Whittle, then of Everton was due to play. All the crowd were in the Grandstand except one kid who for some reason was on his own in the otherwise deserted Open End.

When this kid spotted Whittle come out he went absolutely berserk, shouting out, " Whittle, you long haired so ans so, you spoilt my first ever City match when you were playing for Blackpool..... or Crystal Palace ... or somebody, I hate you."

Incredible outburst, wonder whatever became of him? :dunno:;)

Seem to remember Wolves and possibly Man City there. So the likes of Alan Sunderland, John Richards, Dave Wagstaff, Derek Dougan, plus Joe Royle, Dennis Tueart, Francis Lee, Colin Bell. Just guesses really, but that era.

Funny thing was Alan Whittle, then of Everton was due to play. All the crowd were in the Grandstand except one kid who for some reason was on his own in the otherwise deserted Open End.

When this kid spotted Whittle come out he went absolutely berserk, shouting out, " Whittle, you long haired so ans so, you spoilt my first ever City match when you were playing for Blackpool..... or Crystal Palace ... or somebody, I hate you."

...:laugh:, probably went on to become one time chair of the Supporters Club! :rofl2br:

I can see why you have the name Nogbad the BAD .

Last time I looked I was somewhere up north , living the dream very near to a sandy beach and running talent contests for Alan Whittle lookalikes . :disapointed2se:

Can remember the old open end at one of these days , and it was so hot . Running down to the boards whenever a player was near in the hope of an autograph .

Some great names there you've given . Wolves rings a bell but would the northern teams like Man city come all the way down for a little comp . like this ?

Maybe .

...:laugh:, probably went on to become one time chair of the Supporters Club! :rofl2br:

You mean he grew up to become.........Robbored?:dunno::shocking:

That's worse than I thought - I guessed his family had hastily departed up North so the kid could pour scorn at the despicable diminutive Whittle wherever he played.

We'll never know I suppose.

All In The game was the brainchild of Sir Alan of Dicks. That's why it was held at Ashton Gate.

I and my mates, aged 10, went along to it, and I'm ashamed to say I can't remember anything else at all about it, except for the fighting among the fans (which I don't think was just City v Rovers...) It was just like a normal saturday afternoon at the gate :dunno:

I can see why you have the name Nogbad the BAD .

Most people call me NogBAD the Bad, but you're fairly new I suppose.

Last time I looked I was somewhere up north , living the dream very near to a sandy beach and running talent contests for Alan Whittle lookalikes . :disapointed2se:

That's the spirit, always knew you'd do something Whittle inspired. Presumably you 'Whittle them down' until you find the unlucky winner whose prize is to be forced to wear a Whittle wig, don a tangerine shirt, and be shouted at for about ten minutes for spoiling your childhood. :dunno:

Can remember the old open end at one of these days , and it was so hot . Running down to the boards whenever a player was near in the hope of an autograph .

The Open End was surely closed, all the action took place in front of the Grandstand and the cameras were pointing from the Dolman. It seems you must have been in a heat/Whittle inspired delirium that fateful day. :yes:

Some great names there you've given . Wolves rings a bell but would the northern teams like Man city come all the way down for a little comp . like this ?

Got a horrible feeling some of the club's didn't take the competition too seriously, and even sent down some UNKNOWN RESERVES. :grr: Apart from City - oh, and Everton of course. ;)

Maybe .

I and my mates, aged 10, went along to it, and I'm ashamed to say I can't remember anything else at all about it, except for the fighting among the fans (which I don't think was just City v Rovers...)

[quote

Blimey, what's your theory then Rocker?

I'm sure it was reported locally as Rovers fans involved in the trouble.

I've never forgotten it - it was one hell of a punch up, boots flying everywhere as well as the crowd scattered. Completely out of the blue and so incongruous with the rather dull fare on offer with no tension in the crowd at all.

Then suddenly all Hell broke loose and it was mayhem for several minutes.

If it wasn't Rovers, what was it all about?

Blimey, what's your theory then Rocker?

Oh maaaan, you know when you have to recall some vague stuff from when you were really young, and you think you have it spot-on but then some older dude cross-examines you and you find out you've remembered it all wrong.......?

.....well I can just remember witnessing fights at All In The Game and being told by my >East End mates< that Wolves, West Ham, etc, were involved.

Oh maaaan, you know when you have to recall some vague stuff from when you were really young, and you think you have it spot-on but then some older dude cross-examines you and you find out you've remembered it all wrong.......?

.....well I can just remember witnessing fights at All In The Game and being told by my >East End mates< that Wolves, West Ham, etc, were involved.

Well, that's possible but I don't remember any away supporters cheering their teams or even that the competition held any particular interest outside Bristol.

Maybe it was Wolves and West Ham fans plus the obnoxious gas troublemakers all battering each other. I still reckon Rovers fans were pinpointed as the catalyst for the melee. Their first chance to get down to AG after our promotion and give vent to their jealous spite at City's glorious triumph.

You've put another team in the mix with your mention of West Ham and I'm starting to wonder if Chelsea might have been there too. With West Ham's now known presence that could have added further fuel to the mysterious and vicious terrace flare up.

I chanced upon this thread and remembered I had the accompanying book (yes there was one). Father Christmas must have thought it was the perfect christmas present as I'm certain I didn't buy it myself! The book details are: Harrison, Gerry (no date) All in the Game: the book of the TV series. Ipswich: Studio Publications. The ISBN is 0 904584 47 X.

I've attached the front cover and inside back cover picture of city's team. The photos are credited to "Mike Patrick, John & Arthur"

post-908-1218577025_thumb.jpg post-908-1218577050_thumb.jpg

I chanced upon this thread and remembered I had the accompanying book (yes there was one). Father Christmas must have thought it was the perfect christmas present as I'm certain I didn't buy it myself! The book details are: Harrison, Gerry (no date) All in the Game: the book of the TV series. Ipswich: Studio Publications. The ISBN is 0 904584 47 X.

I've attached the front cover and inside back cover picture of city's team. The photos are credited to "Mike Patrick, John & Arthur"

post-908-1218577025_thumb.jpg post-908-1218577050_thumb.jpg

My original post came about due to me telling my children of some of my great days remembered as a kid at the Gate .

It snowballed from there with other OTIB members remembering the days watching the teams of the day coming down to play in the footballing ' Its a knockout ' type of event .

Wish there was something like this on especially on days like the recent open day .

Perhaps the city players could have a type of ' in house ' tournament next year involving some activities that would not put them at risk of injury ??

Trundle could show the youngsters of today some of his silky skills to whet their appetite . :worship2::dancing6:

Archived