IGNORED

1976/ 77 Season.

Guest sidnfly

Guest sidnfly

I guess most fans ( well those as old as me) remember that promotion well I would very much like to buy one of the special plates issued to mark the occasion. Has anyone any ideas? Thanks

Guest LeicesterRed
I guess most fans ( well those as old as me) remember that promotion well .

76/77 was a great season. Were you at Coventry on 19th May 1977 seeing Gow and Gillies keep us in Div 1?????(The proper Div 1 that is)

What a night!!!!

Geoff Merrick was, and still is, my hero!!!!

A great underated team. Some superb players with a superb manager!!!

I almost feel young again!!!!

COME ON YOU REDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest sidnfly

No wasnt there but some people would like to know who delayed the start by 15 minutes and why both teams didnt play too hard for the last 15 minutes? Do you reckon both teams were happy with a draw?

76/77 was a great season. Were you at Coventry on 19th May 1977 seeing Gow and Gillies keep us in Div 1?????(The proper Div 1 that is)

What a night!!!!

I Wasnt there as I'm about 15-20 years too young, but i have heard about this game from my Dad on many away games, heh. A Few of his mates we're telling me there was so many City there and it ended up as a draw but some younger lads in both sides tried taking it on but the older lads would say hang on dont make it difficult, heh. Wish we could get that down here.

Guest XrAnGeX

I was born 1986, so wasn't around during the time, however from one of my grandads tales. If I recall rightly.... At the end of the game, we knew a draw would be good enough to keep both us and coventry in the first division.

So both teams passed it around and played out a draw.

No wasnt there but some people would like to know who delayed the start by 15 minutes and why both teams didnt play too hard for the last 15 minutes? Do you reckon both teams were happy with a draw?
The start was delayed due to the large numbers of fans who were still outside the ground at kick off time. This was largely due to the police deciding to route march those City fans who went on the special trains to the ground by the scenic route. The police asked the ref to delay the kick off.

Anyone of three clubs could have got relegated that night, City and Coventry were playing each other and Sunderland were at Everton.

Just after City got the equaliser the Sunderland score was put on the scoreboard. Their game had obviously finished before the Cov - City game. They had lost and a draw was good enough to keep Cov and City in Div 1. Both teams just passed the ball around and no one attempted to tackle or even score. It was farcial really.

Not long after the City game finished it was announced there was an error in the Sunderland score but they had still lost.

Sunderland were far from happy at what had happened and accused City and Cov of cheating. They protested to the FA but their protest was thrown out.

If you remember - Coventry were also the first club in the land to have an electronic scoreboard courtesy of Jimmy Hill (Chairman at the time) and they put the announcement up on this to the great delight of Cov and BCFC fans who joined in the biggest celebration of non football for the alst 15 mins.

At one point some of the City players were told to get back in their own half by Cov players

:unsure::dunno::D:D:sub::sub:

Ive been searchin through me old bcfc books n so far cant find any info on a promotion plate

The promotion team was

Donnie Gillies, Ray Cashley, John Shaw, Clive Whitehead, Paul Cheesley, David Rodgers, Tom Ritchie, Garry Collier, Mike Brolly, Jimy Mann, Brian Drysdale, Geoff Merrick, Trevor Tainton, Gerry Sweeney and Gerry Gow

just in case any of u were interested

the promotion season was 75/76 not 76/77 as stated in your topic title

sorry gettin picky now :unsure:

Guest Cyprus_Red

What a night!!!!

my dad always goes on about that sounds bloody amazing.

how many city fans were there that day because my dad sad he'd never seen so many city fans away from home.

Bring on the swindon!!!!

Guest sidnfly

I stand corrected by north cider dude. I am assured by a BCFC avid (who was at the match) and agrees the last 15 minutes were a farce but who cares when both clubs got the result they needed. A special commerative plate certainly was produced marked like a clock divided into sectors with either players names or some information in each sector. He is a long time fan and at one time got the phone number of a person from paulton who had one of these plates. Typically he lost the number and its driving him bonkers losing the chance to get a plate. Is there anyone out there who can help.

Guest LeicesterRed

So both teams passed it around and played out a draw.

Basically there were so many City fans coming to the game and I think there was an accident on the M5 which delayed alot of supporters. The game was held up for 15 minutes.

Courtesy of the electronic scoreboard at Highfield road the Sunderland result was displayed, it was revealed that all Cov and City needed was a draw to survive. The ball was just passed around for the last few minutes and no attempt to score by either side was made. I can remember Gary Collier passing the ball back to John Shaw in goal and telling him to keep hold of it(I was right at the front).

The final whistle blew and both sets of fans invaded the pitch.

As for the number of City fans there, I couldn`t estimate. I remember we were separated from the Cov supporters in one end which was covered and think we had a fair bit of the other end which was open and had no roof at the time.

I got bladdered on Cider afterwards so most of that is pretty blurred.

What a day,the journey, a flowing stream of vehicles decked out with red & white scarves.

20,000 City fans,still remember the heartache of being two down and thinking of the venues of the next season and the sadness of leaving the big-time.Within minutes spirits renewed by a goal by the mighty gladiator Gerry Gow.......the rest...well its history, this game ranks above all others for me, 40,000 fans left Highfield Rd all winners,all joyous.Magic.......

What needs to be understood about that game was that the 90 minutes encapsulated a whole seasons endeavour but that staying up was so well deserved.

Guest LeicesterRed
They only made 400 of them and they cost 6 quid which, at the time, made the plate a hugely expensive thing.

But priceless!!!

happy days

I was there - great night - in the Coventry end!!! Was at College at Worcester at the time so drove over to Coventry midweek to get some tickets for myself and friends. Thought we were dead meat cheering when City scored - but at the end of the match it was fantastic being in the 'wrong' end with some good people. Guess there were 20,003 City fans there that night - the official away support plus swampy and his mates in the home end. Games like that just don't happen these days - the whole thing has become too sanitised and sterile sadly. Even got fish and chip suppers bought courtesy of Coventry fans en route back to Worcester. Was reliably informed that every coach within 20 miles of Bristol was in use that evening. Jimmy Hill - what a cunning stunt to delay the kick off like that. Magic moments.

Guest LeicesterRed

I was talking abou this with my brother today. he seems to remeMber the scoreboard flashing up that Sunderland had won intially before being changed. i can`t rememebr that. Can anyone else?

Archived