IGNORED

Mark Goodlad

BristolCity1992

Mods feel free to move this but thought some City fans might be interested in the below story.

Mark Goodlad has been awarded a benefit match by Port Vale in the wake of his retirement due to injury.

Goodlad, aged 28, hung up his gloves on medical advice earlier this week, having failed to overcome a long-standing Achilles injury.

And having given Vale eight years of loyal service, including 247 appearances, club chairman Bill Bratt believes a benefit game would be a fitting send-off.

He said: "We are forming a committee and a benefit game will take place in pre-season.

"Mark is more than deserving. He has been a good servant to this club and fought hard against this injury."

Goodlad was once described by former Vale boss Brian Horton as one of the best keepers in League One, and Bratt revealed he could have played at a higher level had injury not intervened.

He added: "Not only did Mark always do his best for Vale, but he was one of the best keepers we ever had.

"Around four years ago, there was interest in him from Premiership and Championship clubs.

"But I think he injured his finger at the time and the interest drifted away in the end."

Former Vale favourite Akpo Sodje has already put himself forward to play in the benefit game to support his former colleague.

The Sheffield Wednesday striker was in the starting line-up when Goodlad ruptured his right Achilles tendon against Bristol City in December, 2006 - his final first-team appearance.

Sodje said: "I would definitely play if I could it would be good way of wishing Mark well.

"I was very sad to hear he had retired at such a young age and he really deserves this benefit game because he served Port Vale well."

He was a really good goalkeeper and this injury came against ourselves I'm quite close to some Vale fans so thats how I found out just thought I would pass the message on really.

Such a shame when someone who is actually a talented professional is cut short.

Archived