IGNORED

Goal Scorer

Motorwayman

Good Evening to all.

Something to ponder.........

We are scoring goals most weeks and are joint top of the Championship-However if we had a striker who could bang in 20+ goals a season (10-15 by Xmas) do you think we would have more points than we have now and come May?

Pondered and yes . Sure all sides would like this . Might be wrong but I think only Kevin Phillips is on or near 15 with Gray next ??

Wba have got the goals but no further ahead than us . Gray has got the goals but Burnley faltering again .

If we had someone who had 15 goals in him by now , pos. we would be another 6 points on .Of a few games when we have been beaten , its been 6 Ipswich , 3 Barnsley 4 wba , it would not have saved us then . But our goal diff . would be nearer WBA . GD will only matter at the end though when it will be needed to get us up or in the play offs . Makes no diff . now as we are joint top , as far as I'm concerned . :rolleyes::rolleyes:

A 15-20+ goals a season striker will only get those goals on the strength of the service provided to him. IMO thats our biggest failing so far this season. Apart from brief spells our attacking movement is laboured and not incisive enough. We`ve all seen what Sproule and McIndoe are capable of yet they don`t do it enough.

Both wide? men on saturday were guilty of not giving us any width. Both Wilson and Sproule time and time again were on the center circle when we gained possession. Maybe thats down to GJs` instructions, who knows but it`s not giving us enough options. Sproule spends most of his time within 10 yards of Orr almost as if he feels the need to be there to protect him when play breaks down.

Anyway, as i`ve said before, while one of those strikers may well be handy he`s going to be surplus to requirements if we cannot improve our attacking play.

PDG

James Beatie is second top scorer is he not? 13 or summat?

Like has been said above, cant remember too many missed chances, sitter at West Brom i guess.

Do we need someone to score that many goals? Id rather we have many players capable of scoring rather than one or two hotshots, who could be marked out of a game.

Good Evening to all.

We are scoring goals most weeks and are joint top of the Championship-However if we had a striker who could bang in 20+ goals a season (10-15 by Xmas) do you think we would have more points than we have now and come May?

Interseting !

From the Mail today - top CCC scorers:

Mitsud

Phillips

Beattie

Ebanks-Blake

Gray

Fuller

King

Morrison

Paterson

Counago

Henderson

Howard

Miller

Windass

I make that 14 and not a City player in sight - has to be a problem come season end ??

I don't buy the point about not having many missed chances - how many times have we seen balls go into the box with noone attacking them? Every one of those is a missed chance and what I'd like to see us bring in a striker to do is get in on the penalty spot and attack the six yard box early.

Byfield is the closest we have to a player that can do this but he's only free to do it when he's not having to lead the line, and he's sometimes a yard or so short of pace.

I don't buy the point about not having many missed chances - how many times have we seen balls go into the box with noone attacking them? Every one of those is a missed chance and what I'd like to see us bring in a striker to do is get in on the penalty spot and attack the six yard box early.

Byfield is the closest we have to a player that can do this but he's only free to do it when he's not having to lead the line, and he's sometimes a yard or so short of pace.

wouldn't it help if we actually played with 2 up front?

wouldn't it help if we actually played with 2 up front?

Hmm deja vu?

Yes we'd have more people attacking the ball in the box if we had two up front. We'd also see the ball in the box much less often due to not retaining it as well in midfield. We'd be playing more direct football and it would come back more often particularly if the second man was Enoch whose control on the first ball is sadly lacking.

GJ switches between the two systems situationally and I've no problem with that because we've played some great football under either, I just wish he'd done it on Saturday when it was apparent after 5 minutes that Boro were playing an anchor to neutralize the man in the hole.

I'd like to see Brooker and Byfield up front in a 442 and Trundle up front with Noble tucked in when we play 4411. I think those will prove our two most effective combinations.

So for an easier passsage to the promised land, we need a proven goal scorer. 15-20 a season should do it. How much do we need to spend? i reckon £1,000,000 should do it. hang on, havent we tried that already?

before you all start having a go, i happen to be a Trundle admirer, and am 100% convinced that all of his hard work will soon be fruitful, maybe not 15 goals in the second half of the season, but a damn site more than have gone in so far in 2007/2008. Yes goals are needed, but no need to panic quite yet.

Good Evening to all.

A fully fit Brooker might be the man. He knows where the goal is. Get him out on loan for games under his belt and he might just do it.

Interseting !

Mitsud

Phillips

Beattie

Ebanks-Blake

Gray

Fuller

King

Morrison

Paterson

Counago

Henderson

Howard

Miller

Windass

I make that 14 and not a City player in sight - has to be a problem come season end ??

Well thats what I was thinking ( I cannot think of a team who have been promoted to the Premiership without a goal scorer in the top 10 league scorers?).

It makes it more remarkable this season given our lack of a goal scorer and our league position...I think this is a great in the short term ......but might catch up with us later on this season?

Some great points in the other posts aswell......

PS-I think that Brooker may be a little slow at this level-He does have a great football brain and once he comes back from his loan spell, I would love to see him given an opportunity with ????

Trundle? Byfield? Enoch ?

Interseting !

Mitsud

Phillips

Beattie

Ebanks-Blake

Gray

Fuller

King

Morrison

Paterson

Counago

Henderson

Howard

Miller

Windass

Well thats what I was thinking ( I cannot think of a team who have been promoted to the Premiership without a goal scorer in the top 10 league scorers?).

It makes it more remarkable this season given our lack of a goal scorer and our league position...I think this is a great in the short term ......but might catch up with us later on this season?

Some great points in the other posts aswell......

PS-I think that Brooker may be a little slow at this level-He does have a great football brain and once he comes back from his loan spell, I would love to see him given an opportunity with ????

Trundle? Byfield? Enoch ?

I don't think Brooker is too slow for this level. How do we know until we have seen him? All we know is that he was a decent goal scorer at the level below. I think that getting him out on loan is the right thing to do. When he comes back after a month, hopefully he will have banged in a few goals and be full of confidence and he will be like a new signing.

A Trundle-Brooker partnership is appealing!

I seem to remember that someone said a few weeks ago that there hasnt been a 20-goal a season striker in a promoted team for a few yrs at this level. There arent many 20+goal strikers that play at this level. Its mainly around the 15 goal mark, especially for play offs. Byfield is on 8. So is on target to get the 15. But we need another player to reach at least double figures. At the moment, only Marvin Elliott looks like doing that and he is a central midfielder. It would take a mighty effort if Brooker was to reach double figures when his first start (if he gets one) might not be until mid march. Its basically asking for a goal every sub appearance then a goal every other start. That's something you get/expect from someone like Cristiano Ronaldo or Wayne Rooney or Didier Drogba.

Where would all the other clubs with goalscorers be if they had our attitude, spirit, work rate, ability? Where would they be if they had GJ?

We're playing a system that is about retaining possession. I don't think that there are many players who can both fulfil the role that the single striker is asked to play and score alot of goals. You need someone with technical ability, relative pace and strength. That narrows the field of strikers currently in this league down to Rasiak, Beattie and Fuller. When they can be arsed and are not injured of course.

I actually think that our creative midfield players are letting the sides goal tally down, not the strikers. We're missing Murray's goals on the right. Sproule's 1 so far is a really poor tally when you consider Scot's got three. Why has David Noble only got one goal when he's played in a 4-4-1-1 system? He should be on for 1 in 3/4 not 1 in ten or more.

I don't know whether we would have more points if we had a 20 a goal striker, but I do know that we were having similar discussion on here this time last year. There were lots of posts speculating where we would be if we had Bill;y sharpe in our team instead of S****horpe's.

Apart from Leroy's season, when did we last have what we would regard as a prolific striker? Also, why, for all his sucess in other transfers, has GJ not really got in a striker who can produce the goods ?

Archived