IGNORED

Well We Said We Wanted Strikers

Fodbarmyarmy

Probably already mentioned on here but First I heard of it today so...

GJ very keen on Zamora - talks already in progress??

Elliot can got to Pompey - if straight swap for £5m Nugent

At least with these two on board we would have a front line that worries teams a little

Where did you hear about this? No one else has mentioned it. I actually thought Zamora out injured at the moment.

Zamora is a first team player for West Ham when he's not injured, he would cost > £5m and be on £15-£20k a week and wouldn't come here.

Nugent will be getting games when Benjani, Utaka and Kanu are at the African Nations.

Benjani is still available for Portsmouth - Zimbabwe didn't qualify for the Africa Nations Cup.

GJ very keen on Zamora - talks already in progress??

Elliot can got to Pompey - if straight swap for £5m Nugent

Zamora's playing at the minute why would he come?

I don't care who i hear it from, or how many times, Marvin to Pompey makes no sense from their perspective or ours. They don't need a central midfielder.

I mentioned a elliott px for nugent a month a go and was ridiculed for it. It was kind of in jest though so I didnt lose too much sleep. In all seriousness, I would love to see this happening but I cant really believe we could pull it off. Still, SL came out the other day saying he was going to spend some cash, but if it was 8 million for these 2 I would be mighty surprised.

Si.

Zamora has been out injured since August I think after playing in the first 3 games.

His scoring record is crap aside from a season or two at Brighton.

On the BBC football gossip column the other day, it mentioned that Roy Hodgson was interested in signing Zamora but prevented from moving forward because Fulham can't afford the player's wage expectation. If Fulham can't afford him then we certainly wouldn't be able to.

Zamora has been out injured since August I think after playing in the first 3 games.

His scoring record is crap aside from a season or two at Brighton.

Yeah sorry, got him mixed up with Carlton Cole, i knew one of the shit strikers were keeping out Ashton but forgot which.

I like Bobby Zamaora, but motivated, and professional don't spring to mind when i see him. He was really good against us in league 1 though

In terms of salary, SL could afford Zamora or Nugent and, from all I've heard, he'd be up for it.

Like it or not, we're where we are in spite of our strikers not because of them (as per last seson) and we need quality to push on.

With Jevons gone & JMW & Brooks on loan the decks are cleared for at least one if not two to come in and both of the players (Nugent & Zamora) are head & shoulders above of what we've got, with all respect to LT, DB & ES.

Looking at our postion they'd far rather play for City than warm the bench or worse where they are.

The current state that Pompy are in though - lack of kanu, muntari (spelling:) etc - i would doubt that they would unload Nugent in the January transfer window as they are in need of strikers.

If we get Nugent then good, some of the goals he has scored is immense and from what i have seen of him he is quite a gifted player.

In sure that Gary Johnson will try to do his best in the transfer window and do what he feels is right for the team :).

In terms of salary, SL could afford Zamora or Nugent and, from all I've heard, he'd be up for it.

Like it or not, we're where we are in spite of our strikers not because of them (as per last seson) and we need quality to push on.

With Jevons gone & JMW & Brooks on loan the decks are cleared for at least one if not two to come in and both of the players (Nugent & Zamora) are head & shoulders above of what we've got, with all respect to LT, DB & ES.

Looking at our postion they'd far rather play for City than warm the bench or worse where they are.

SL could afford Ronaldinho but it would be irrelevant because he's not that stupid and the player wouldn't come here - both arguments which apply to Nugent and Zamora.

The money does not come out of SL's pocket it comes out of the club's and the club has to stand on it's own two feet, 20 grand a week is not going to happen. Nor is Zamora leaving first team football at West Ham (after 4 months of injury) to play for us or Nugent giving up the first chance he will get at Portsmouth with players away in Africa.

There is no chance of us signing either player and rumours to the contrary are just made up by idiots.

SL could afford Ronaldinho but it would be irrelevant because he's not that stupid and the player wouldn't come here - both arguments which apply to Nugent and Zamora.

I think Nugent & Zamora are far more likely than Ronaldhino, who definetly wouldn't come.I would think that the next few weeks will be a big time for Nugent in particular.If he doesn't get in the team now, then he's really got problems and a move to the League Leaders..ish must be attractive.

The money does not come out of SL's pocket it comes out of the club's and the club has to stand on it's own two feet, 20 grand a week is not going to happen. Nor is Zamora leaving first team football at West Ham (after 4 months of injury) to play for us or Nugent giving up the first chance he will get at Portsmouth with players away in Africa.

Whilst it's not his money he is the man who will authorise expenditure and support it with his own funds in the form of loans etc.From all he has said, we're going for it and going for it means improving our squad.To do that, we don't need another striker like the ones we've got.Sorry but it's debateable if they're good enough for the CCC never mind taking us up and that means real quality, which, costs money.I've every faith that SL is astute enough to realise where we are and that we might not be here again for a long time and he would fund £25/25kpw until the end of the season.Carpus Dieme and all that.

The strange thing is that if Wolves were linked with Zamora, no one would bat an eyelid, but BCFC-Wow, we're having a laugh-Why? I know Wolves have a better stadium and bigger crowds, but they're struggling and have an "under pressure" manager.

In fairness, the gulf in class really shows when you take into account that neither player is considered an outstanding player at Premiership level (Nugent's completely unproven) and we'd need far better just to survive if we made the step up.A sobering thought, but let's get there first.

At that point, we can't worry about bringing people in on £20kpw, because that's the average Premiership wage.

I think Nugent & Zamora are far more likely than Ronaldhino, who definetly wouldn't come.I would think that the next few weeks will be a big time for Nugent in particular.If he doesn't get in the team now, then he's really got problems and a move to the League Leaders..ish must be attractive.

Neither player will be coming here. Nugent started today, Zamora is a starter when not injured.

Whilst it's not his money he is the man who will authorise expenditure and support it with his own funds in the form of loans etc.From all he has said, we're going for it and going for it means improving our squad.To do that, we don't need another striker like the ones we've got.Sorry but it's debateable if they're good enough for the CCC never mind taking us up and that means real quality, which, costs money.I've every faith that SL is astute enough to realise where we are and that we might not be here again for a long time and he would fund £25/25kpw until the end of the season.Carpus Dieme and all that.

SteveL might authorise loaning a player in on big salary for 4 months but it won't be a player who will refuse to step down, like both of those mentioned. He can't carry on loaning the club money because the club will end up with liabilities exceeding assets and there's not much more shareholding he can gain. The club will then be a millstone around his neck.

The strange thing is that if Wolves were linked with Zamora, no one would bat an eyelid, but BCFC-Wow, we're having a laugh-Why? I know Wolves have a better stadium and bigger crowds, but they're struggling and have an "under pressure" manager.

Wolves have a turnover of over £20m, and neither player would join them either, why on earth would anyone step down from the Prem? Nugent only just moved there and won't have given up on it yet, and Zamora is an established player. Both earn a fortune. There is nothing in it for either.

In fairness, the gulf in class really shows when you take into account that neither player is considered an outstanding player at Premiership level (Nugent's completely unproven) and we'd need far better just to survive if we made the step up.A sobering thought, but let's get there first.

Both players are poor value for money even if they were interested. Someone like Riordan has just as much chance of succeeding and I doubt would involve wages anything like that - plus we'd have a player at the end of the season regardless of which division we were in.

If we were to get to the Premiership the worst thing we could do would be to pour money away on stupid wages for players that are already known to be mediocre at best in the Prem. The Reading and Wigan model of bringing in good young players from lower levels and abroad and sticking with what you've got is more successful.

At that point, we can't worry about bringing people in on £20kpw, because that's the average Premiership wage.

The average Premiership wage is £12k a week and that is not a useful figure because it includes teams we will never compete with that pay 80k a week +. Realistically most of the players in a small Prem side will be on less than 10 grand a week and players we already have won't automatically jump up to stupid salaries though they will get a rise. Sounds alot but in the context of £30m TV money it isn't - but if we are in the Prem that money is a guarantee not an outside chance like it is now so it's not as big a risk.

SteveL and GJ will go for it but they will do it prudently, not gambling a fortune on one player with no return.

What effect on team spirit and morale (the things which got us here) do you think bringing in a big time charlie on £20k a week would have?

I had a pint with Nugent's dad in Barcelona in March and tried to broker a deal for David to come to us back then but got told absolutely no chance. There is no way in hell he would leave Pompey, where he's going to be a regular in the absence of Kanu and Utaka, to join us.

Neither player will be coming here. Nugent started today, Zamora is a starter when not injured.

I didn't say either player was.I said that we shouldn't rule that type of player out.Nugent played for Pompey today and didn't look the business plus Redknapp tried to offload him shortly after signing him so I reckon a loan move/move before the end of the season is on the cards.Zamora won't be starting when Bellamy & Ashton are fit.Another target could be Harewood at Villa

SteveL might authorise loaning a player in on big salary for 4 months but it won't be a player who will refuse to step down, like both of those mentioned. He can't carry on loaning the club money because the club will end up with liabilities exceeding assets and there's not much more shareholding he can gain. The club will then be a millstone around his neck.

We clearly can't force a player to come here, that's true but that doesn't mean that we can't bring someone in for four months or so to give it a real go.Nobody though Bolton could get Anelka and they couldn't keep hold of him, but they did manage to sign him.SL won't do anything we can't afford but with £60m staring him in the face and 19 games to go, it's time to speculate.That doesn't mean doing a Leeds and nobody wants to.

Wolves have a turnover of over £20m, and neither player would join them either, why on earth would anyone step down from the Prem? Nugent only just moved there and won't have given up on it yet, and Zamora is an established player. Both earn a fortune. There is nothing in it for either.

If they are playing Prem Football, I agree.If they're not, they wouldn't lose a bean financially and they'd get games to put themselves in the shop window if nothing else.

Both players are poor value for money even if they were interested. Someone like Riordan has just as much chance of succeeding and I doubt would involve wages anything like that - plus we'd have a player at the end of the season regardless of which division we were in.

Zamora & Nugent are proven CCC players.Riordan, who looks a decent player to me isn't when all's said and done although, I'm pretty sure that he'd be better than what's here.

If we were to get to the Premiership the worst thing we could do would be to pour money away on stupid wages for players that are already known to be mediocre at best in the Prem. The Reading and Wigan model of bringing in good young players from lower levels and abroad and sticking with what you've got is more successful.

That's why loans are the answer and that's why I haven't suggested that we buy either player.Four months and we could be up.At that point we can reassess our options in the longer term.If we're still in the CCC, then we can budget accordingly.Win-Win.

The average Premiership wage is £12k a week and that is not a useful figure because it includes teams we will never compete with that pay 80k a week +.

The report I read from Deloitte & Touche stated £20kpw-Either way it's major expenditure.

Realistically most of the players in a small Prem side will be on less than 10 grand a week and players we already have won't automatically jump up to stupid salaries though they will get a rise.

I'm in favour of a bonus for acheivement because a pay rise will only make them harder to sell if they don't cut the mustard at the higher level.Another reason why some players contracts are not under discussion at present.Leaving detail aside our wage bill will probably quadruple if we gain Pren status.

Sounds alot but in the context of £30m TV money it isn't - but if we are in the Prem that money is a guarantee not an outside chance like it is now so it's not as big a risk.

I fear that without investement on better quality we may not be in a position to get there again for a while.

SteveL and GJ will go for it but they will do it prudently, not gambling a fortune on one player with no return.

Nobody's asking them to.

What effect on team spirit and morale (the things which got us here) do you think bringing in a big time charlie on £20k a week would have?

That argument was used with LT who hasn't set the World alight and the jealousy hasn't materialised.It's up to the manager to control that kind of thing.GJ's got a solid dressing room and wouldn't sign a big time Charlie

I had a pint with Nugent's dad in Barcelona in March and tried to broker a deal for David to come to us back then but got told absolutely no chance. There is no way in hell he would leave Pompey, where he's going to be a regular in the absence of Kanu and Utaka, to join us.

He was all set to go to Derby and I suppose it depends if he wants to be a regular or a first team regular for three weeks?

He was all set to go to Derby and I suppose it depends if he wants to be a regular or a first team regular for three weeks?

Fail to see your point BB. Firstly, Pompey wouldn't let him go because they need him in the absence of Utaka/Kanu. Secondly, I severely doubt he would drop down a division just for first team football when his chance to stake a genuine claim in the Pompey first team is here now.

He'll stick it out until the end of the season and take it from there IMHO. If we go up, he'd be an ideal target for us but I can't see him joining now unless you know something I don't...

Archived