IGNORED

Loan Or Buy?

headhunter

Taking the widely accepted view that to maintain our drive for the Promised Land we need a striker with a proven goalscoring record which of these options do you think is best? :

Option 1

Spend, say, £1m to get an Eastwood or Keogh and hope they do for us what they haven't done for their current club [and that £1m is more like £2.5m with wages on a 3 year contract].

Option 2

Go to the Premiership and get a £20k per week striker [who?] on a 3 month loan - total cost £300k and if he doesn't do the business we are not saddled with a big contract for next season.

I must comment on the Trundle situation here. Yesterday's game was against opposition that I thought he might actually make his mark against. Yes he showed some nice touches but not where it mattered. His not being up to it at this level was summed up in the second half when he had a chance on his left foot inside the area in the zone where, on that You Tube video of him in action for Swansea, he seemed to score at ease. On this occasion he lost possession as he tried to put it on his right foot. Financially this guy is a liability. He's 32 in October, not going to get any better, cost us a million quid and with 2.5 years left on his contract he's going to cost another £1.3m in wages. We won't be able to loan him out unless we massively subsidise his wages - no League 1 club can afford him. It's sad as I believe he's a really nice bloke but whose efforts are just not good enough.

Taking the widely accepted view that to maintain our drive for the Promised Land we need a striker with a proven goalscoring record which of these options do you think is best? :

Option 1

Spend, say, £1m to get an Eastwood or Keogh and hope they do for us what they haven't done for their current club [and that £1m is more like £2.5m with wages on a 3 year contract].

Option 2

Go to the Premiership and get a £20k per week striker [who?] on a 3 month loan - total cost £300k and if he doesn't do the business we are not saddled with a big contract for next season.

I must comment on the Trundle situation here. Yesterday's game was against opposition that I thought he might actually make his mark against. Yes he showed some nice touches but not where it mattered. His not being up to it at this level was summed up in the second half when he had a chance on his left foot inside the area in the zone where, on that You Tube video of him in action for Swansea, he seemed to score at ease. On this occasion he lost possession as he tried to put it on his right foot. Financially this guy is a liability. He's 32 in October, not going to get any better, cost us a million quid and with 2.5 years left on his contract he's going to cost another £1.3m in wages. We won't be able to loan him out unless we massively subsidise his wages - no League 1 club can afford him. It's sad as I believe he's a really nice bloke but whose efforts are just not good enough.

Think option 2 sounds the more realistic at this stage of the season . With us continuing to look strong candidates for at least a top 6 , If we did'nt make it to the promised land , we would need a little financial clout for another push next season . With a new signings potential cost and wages , alongwith your figures given above for Trundle and obviously the other financial costs of running the club we would not want to get into the situation of not being able to satisfy the hunger of G.J and his team next season , the fans , the players and even future players who currently look on us as an attractive proposition to join .

I mentioned Earnshaw the other night as someone not playing reg . first team football , a goalscorer in the CCC but not consistant in the prem who could do a job for us until the end of the season with an option to take him at the end , when we see where we will be playing . Obviously all options are loaded on the side of the club with this type of deal , but what an opportunity he would have to get himself back in the shop window . As an international squad player for Wales , playing now and again isn't good for his international career either .

Not saying he is the best out there , just think he can offer us a little pace up front which seems to be lacking now , goals at this level and possibly worth a phone call .

It won't all kick off probably for another 10 days in the transfer window as it nears a close , but even with Brooks back I feel we need to do something to enhance this unexpected pre season position we find we are in .

I favour option 2 given that we find ourselves chasing the Premiership in the short term without the long term finances and structure in place. Let's write off a sum of money in wages for the next five months rather than pay a large transfer fee plus three years of top whack wages and see if we can get a quality performer who is out of favour at a Premiership club and who needs first team action. We are in a win/win then because if the Premiership does materialise we can then plan based upon guaranteed incomes and if it doesn't happen we can send the lad back and cut our cloth accordingly for next season.

There must be forwards out there who can score goals at Championship level for fun and who would jump at the chance to get some first team action in a potential Promotion battle.

I don't think GJ will bring anyone in unless they are "right" for the team in terms of work ethic and professional approach. Otherwise it could cause more harm than good. I thought that yesterday was the worst game for LT that I have seen (and for LJ the best). LT has a lot of close control skill but seems to not always know when to use it or when to try to turn his man or when to play it first time, or even try a snap shot. His two goals against S****horpe were really top drawer and he has been unlucky on a few occasions, especially at Plymouth I thought. But overall he has not yet delivered. I am hopeful he will come good, but after yesterday GJ must be a bit concerned.

Option 1

Option 2

Option 3: don't get anyone.

Good article in the Guardian yesterday about January transfer window flops - and pretty much everytime Gary talks about the transfer window, he says its not a good time to bring players in. He might be onto something you know - he knows a tad more about football than us!

The best players arent abvailable because they're involved in promotion/relegation battles; its a sellers market so prices are over-inflated, and you don't have a pre-season to integrate any new faces into the squad. Plus we're championship now - you can hardly pick up a 20 goal championship striker on loan'; don't they cost £5m?!

the "widley accepted view" that we must sign someone isnt my view. We appear to be in second, and nobody below us is making a convincing case for taking that spot from us (Watford will drop away, IMO). We also have a championship quality striker coming back to fitness (Brooker) and a new face in midfield to keep things fresh.

Only sign someone if the right guy comes along for the right price, with the right attitude, and the right pedigree. THose players only come along every couple of years realistically (McIndoe; Elliot) - chances of gettng one in Jan 2008 i reckon are slim. No need to panic buy when you're in an automatic promotion slot!

I agree with a radio Bristol caller and would see if we could get somebody like David Nugent from pompey in for the rest of the season and pay his 20k a week wages,

If he helps get us up then you could look at a possible transfer at the end of the year with the extra money we would get - hes not getting a game at pompey and I'm sure he would relish the chance of getting some first team action?

Good article in the Guardian yesterday about January transfer window flops - and pretty much everytime Gary talks about the transfer window, he says its not a good time to bring players in. He might be onto something you know - he knows a tad more about football than us!

The best players arent abvailable because they're involved in promotion/relegation battles; its a sellers market so prices are over-inflated, and you don't have a pre-season to integrate any new faces into the squad. Plus we're championship now - you can hardly pick up a 20 goal championship striker on loan'; don't they cost £5m?!

the "widley accepted view" that we must sign someone isnt my view. We appear to be in second, and nobody below us is making a convincing case for taking that spot from us (Watford will drop away, IMO). We also have a championship quality striker coming back to fitness (Brooker) and a new face in midfield to keep things fresh.

Only sign someone if the right guy comes along for the right price, with the right attitude, and the right pedigree. THose players only come along every couple of years realistically (McIndoe; Elliot) - chances of gettng one in Jan 2008 i reckon are slim. No need to panic buy when you're in an automatic promotion slot!

agree, personally the only signing I would make during the transfer window is a Creative Midfilder which we have done,

the only other signing I would make is a forward.......but that would only be if Brooker broke down injured again between now and the transfer window closing, personally I'm more than happy with the squad

I trust G.J's judgement, I'm sure he knows what's best.

His record of bringing players in from lower level has got us to where we are now, and I'm sure he's not about to go out and buy a £20,000 a week striker and upset the apple cart.

This is such a fine line, and temptation to gamble everything, but as I say, I trust Gary's judgement.

I trust G.J's judgement, I'm sure he knows what's best.

His record of bringing players in from lower level has got us to where we are now, and I'm sure he's not about to go out and buy a £20,000 a week striker and upset the apple cart.

This is such a fine line, and temptation to gamble everything, but as I say, I trust Gary's judgement.

Don't think anyone will disagree with you regarding his judgement , we are here because of his judgement . As for the Nugent type scenario I believe that may well upset the apple cart . Not doubting his ability to push us on , but he is susceptible to injury like all players and with those wages there would be much anger on this forum on whether it was the right decision if he did'nt play many games and score the perceived amount of goals that we think he should .

Don't think anyone will disagree with you regarding his judgement , we are here because of his judgement . As for the Nugent type scenario I believe that may well upset the apple cart . Not doubting his ability to push us on , but he is susceptible to injury like all players and with those wages there would be much anger on this forum on whether it was the right decision if he did'nt play many games and score the perceived amount of goals that we think he should .

Any signing's a risk-That's the nature of the game and if you didn't want to take a risk you'd never sign anyone and GJ, for all of his protestations about loyalty, has brought in a pile of players and moved loads on since he arrived.People said the same thing about Trundle upsettig the apple cart yet despite not playing brilliantly LT seems to have fitted in very well in a happy squad.

Imagine how gutted we'll feel if we just miss out on auto or promotion for the want of spending & speculating a bit.

I agree with a radio Bristol caller and would see if we could get somebody like David Nugent from pompey in for the rest of the season and pay his 20k a week wages,

If he helps get us up then you could look at a possible transfer at the end of the year with the extra money we would get - hes not getting a game at pompey and I'm sure he would relish the chance of getting some first team action?

There's no way in hell we could get Nugent on loan, he's starting for Pompey now that they've lost Utaka and Kanu to the African Nations til February and will be starting for them regularly during that time.

Personally, I would go out and try and get someone on loan like we did with Mark Robins a few years back. Connolly please. A cheeky bid for Nicky Maynard would be quite a good move as well. He could be available at a knockdown price after recently recovering from a broken leg...

Gary Johnson knows more about football than this forum....Careful some might take that a bit personally :innocent06:

The fact is as you allude Sir, it could go either way. If Mr Johnson has identified someone (a striker) who could come in and fit into his dressing room (that is better than what we have) then we'll see a new player. If that player is not out there we wont.

Clearly we don't score as many goals as some of our rivals and in a division that is so tight goal difference could be the difference..However we do have a team that gets results without having spent the money of a Watford/WBA/Charlton/Wolves etc...Changing the team dynamic would take some serious thought...So in Gary we should trust.

There's no way in hell we could get Nugent on loan, he's starting for Pompey now that they've lost Utaka and Kanu to the African Nations til February and will be starting for them regularly during that time.

I was about to reference the AN. With that going on we are unliekly to be able to get a decent premiership striker on loan.

So it's buy or nothng. With my money on nothing, after all Brooker should be back.

Gary Johnson knows more about football than this forum....Careful some might take that a bit personally :innocent06:

The fact is as you allude Sir, it could go either way. If Mr Johnson has identified someone (a striker) who could come in and fit into his dressing room (that is better than what we have) then we'll see a new player. If that player is not out there we wont.

Clearly we don't score as many goals as some of our rivals and in a division that is so tight goal difference could be the difference..However we do have a team that gets results without having spent the money of a Watford/WBA/Charlton/Wolves etc...Changing the team dynamic would take some serious thought...So in Gary we should trust.

agreed

........ We also have a championship quality striker coming back to fitness (Brooker)....

Not wanting to knock Brooker but how do you know he`s Championship standard. I`d like nothing more than to see SB get his match fitness and some form back while at Cheltenham and then come back and help us maintain this fantastic position.

But.....

It`s never that simple, is it. Whilst i don`t agree with getting anyone in just because we need someone, i also feel that ignoring a potential candidate because SB might complete his loan period injury free and get back to form is asking a bit too much.

I`d go for option 2 if a suitable candidate becomes available. That way even if GJ has to adjust his preferences a little we`re not going to be saddled with them long term. If it all goes well we may well have the option to make the move permanent.

PDG

Option 1

Option 2

Option 1, we probably don't have anyone who plays up front for us who has a consistant full 90 minutes in him and is definitely good enough for this level, though Byfield has been a very astute signing and his goals to minutes on the pitch ratio is superb.

Sadly I also think you are 100% correct in your assessment of LT.

Archived