IGNORED

Aldi Car Park Fines On News Years Day

CSF 1983

I don't know how many of you (like me) have recently received a Parking Notice Charge from a company by the name of "Parking Eye", for parking in Aldi on New Years day. I got one, so bearing in mind the number of cars that were there at the same time (at least 100) I can't be alone here.

The notice you will have received is for a £70 fine, which you can reduce to £40 if you accept the "special offer" and pay within 14 days.

These notices look like legal parking fines, like the ones issued by the Old Bill or Parking Attendants. Well, they aint.

Parking fines issued by the aforementioned legal bodies are done so under the Road Traffic Act 1999. The Aldi car park is private land, and as such, is not governed by this legislation. The only law that governs parking on private land is that of "contract law", which is a civil matter, not criminal.

Now, the only way you can be asked to pay up under contract law is, and probably unsurprisingly, due to breach of contract. When you park in a private car park, you are accepting the displayed terms & conditions, and thereby you enter into a contract. Under contract law, if you break the contract (i.e. overstaying the permitted time) the landowner is entitled to seek "fair damages". This can mean different things to different people, but in a nutshell, this would be something like "wear & tear". For just one extra car, it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect a claim against you to be £1 or £2 - a bit different to the £70 they try and fleece you for.

Contract law depends on the fact that both parties to the contract (i.e. You and Aldi) have a full and clear understanding of what the terms are. Normally, parking company's get around this by putting up signs for you to read (if you don't read them, that's no defence). On the day in question, the signs inside the car park (yellow ones) had the maximum stay "blanked" out (probably due to tehfact they were in teh process of changing them (not your problem). This was clearly done by Aldi (or their agent). This means anyone parking there could not have known the full terms and conditions, therefore a contract "cannot" be said to exist. The simple fact is, if there's no clear contract, there can be no charge for breaking it.

Added to this, the notice says they have photographic evidence that shows when your car entered and left the car park. They also say that, as registered keeper, you are liable. That's total crap. The registered keeper is only liable for offences under the Road Traffic Act, and as I've already said, this aint one of those.

The person liable is the driver. Unless they can provide photographic proof as to who was driving, they cannot issue any demand for payment. Chances are they won't have this, so write to them, tell them they have to prove who the driver was under contract law, and tell them that if they can't provide photographic proof, do not write to you again.

Now, don't tell lies by saying you weren't driving when you know you were, but even if you were the driver, it's up to them to prove it - so don't say either way if you were driving or not.

There's a great free legal site for motorists "Pepipoo.com" which gives a lot more detail. Check out advice from "Legal Pete".

I'm currently disputing this riduculous charge, so keep checking for updates about how I get on.

The last word is, don't just pay it - fight it. To be honest, they haven't got a leg to stand on.

CSF 1983

:englandflag:

I don't know how many of you (like me) have recently received a Parking Notice Charge from a company by the name of "Parking Eye", for parking in Aldi on New Years day. I got one, so bearing in mind the number of cars that were there at the same time (at least 100) I can't be alone here.

The notice you will have received is for a £70 fine, which you can reduce to £40 if you accept the "special offer" and pay within 14 days.

These notices look like legal parking fines, like the ones issued by the Old Bill or Parking Attendents. Well, they aint.

Parking fines issued by the aforementioned legal bodies are done so under the Road Traffic Act 1999. The Aldi car park is private land, and as such, is not governed by this legislation. The only law that governs parking on private land is that of "contract law", which is a civil matter, not criminal.

Now, the only way you can be asked to pay up under contract law is, and probably unsurprisingly, due to breach of contract. When you park in a private car park, you are accepting the displayed terms & conditions, and thereby you enter into a contract. Under contract law, if you break the contract (i.e. overstaying the permitted time) the landowner is entitled to seek "fair damages". This can mean different things to different people, but in a nutshell, this would be something like "wear & tear". For just one extra car, it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect a claim against you to be £1 or £2 - a bit different to the £70 they try and fleece you for.

Contract law depends on the fact that both parties to the contract (i.e. You and Aldi) have a full and clear understanding of what the terms are. Normally, parking company's get around this by putting up signs for you to read (if you don't read them, that's no defence). On the day in question, the signs inside the car park (yellow ones) had the maximum stay "blanked" out (probably due to tehfact they were in teh process of changing them (not your problem). This was clearly done by Aldi (or their agent). This means anyone parking there could not have known the full terms and conditions, therefore a contract "cannot" be said to exist. The simple fact is, if there's no clear contract, there can be no charge for breaking it.

Added to this, the notice says they have photographic evidence that shows when your car entered and left the car park. They also say that, as registered keeper, you are liable. That's total crap. The registered keeper is only liable for offences under the Road Traffic Act, and as I've already said, this aint one of those.

The person liable is the driver. Unless they can provide photographic proof as to who was driving, they cannot issue any demand for payment. Chances are they won't have this, so write to them, tell them they have to prove who the driver was under contract law, and tell them that if they can't provide photographic proof, do not write to you again.

Now, don't tell lies by saying you weren't driving when you know you were, but even if you were the driver, it's up to them to prove it - so don't say either way if you were driving or not.

There's a great free legal site for motorists "Pepipoo.com" which gives a lot more detail. Check out advice from "Legal Pete".

I'm currently disputing this riduculous charge, so keep checking for updates about how I get on.

The last word is, don't just pay it - fight it. To be honest, they haven't got a leg to stand on.

CSF 1983

A very helpful, coherent post. So not all of the CSF are thick chavs then.

These notices look like legal parking fines, like the ones issued by the Old Bill or Parking Attendants. Well, they aint.

CSF 1983

I had one against Man City,I asked for photographic evidence,great pictures just paid the 40.00,one word Aldi do not shop in there stores.

If the shop where closed Aldi should think about their reputation instead of terroricing City fans.

Terrorising! Ha ha ha! I wouldn't imagine that Bin Laden's head would be quite so sought after if his biggest crime was fining people for ignoring *really obvious* signs.

Boycott Aldi for wanting control of who parks in their car park? Hilarious! I'll tell you what, why I don't I park my car in your garage.

Terrorising! Ha ha ha! I wouldn't imagine that Bin Laden's head would be quite so sought after if his biggest crime was fining people for ignoring *really obvious* signs.

Boycott Aldi for wanting control of who parks in their car park? Hilarious! I'll tell you what, why I don't I park my car in your garage.

Not only terrorists can terrorise surely?

You are welcome to park in my garage. It's a lot of stuff in there and a good walk (2200 km) but you are always welcome.

If the shop was closed they should think about their reputation. If not its up to you. Personally, as a chicken Swede, I would not park there if not allowed to.

Cheers

Tommy

You are welcome to park in my garage. It's a lot of stuff in there and a good walk (2200 km) but you are always welcome.

:D

If the shop was closed they should think about their reputation.

If we're talking about reputations, I'd imagine that City fans are a laughing stock amongst Aldi staff ;) I'll never be able to buy my custard creams in there again!

:D

If we're talking about reputations, I'd imagine that City fans are a laughing stock amongst Aldi staff ;) I'll never be able to buy my custard creams in there again!

Why don't people park where the Isambard Kingdom Brunel stadium is going to be built? In the military you are supposed to walk 4 km per hour breaks included. So that will take you 15-20 to minutes.

Why do I think about the group "Half man half biscuit", anyone??

Right then, time for the promised update.

I've given this parking company the big "**** Off", and they have had to back down. Basically, like I said before, they have to prove who was driving. I've received their photographic evidence, and although it shows my car, it's impossible to tell who the driver was.

Go for it guys, although I wouldn't suggest for one minute you make a habit of parking there.

Now then, to address some of the more idiotic amongst us:

1. Quite a lot of the "original" CSF from back in the 80's were professional, intelligent people. Thugs!,

well maybe at times, but other than match days, normal people. If you weren't there, or you aint

old enough to remember, then please don't comment on something you'll never understand

2. Aldi's policy of trying to fleece people using their car park when the store isn't even open is just

daylight robbery. It wasn't as if we were causing them any loss of business on New Years Day now

was it? On top of that, as I said (for those with the intelligence to actually read the whole thing), the

signs on the day did not show how long the permitted parking time was.

3. People park outside my house when I'm not there - but I don't get all arsey and try to charge them

for it. For all you self righteous gits (who obviously have never done anything even bordering on

"wrong" in your entire life) shut up and get a life. We used Aldi so we didn't have to park outside

the homes of local residents, or otherwise park like pr*cks on corners etc. I bet some of you did!!

For everyone else, I hope this has helped

CSF 1983

I've given this parking company the big "**** Off", and they have had to back down. Basically, like I said before, they have to prove who was driving. I've received their photographic evidence, and although it shows my car, it's impossible to tell who the driver was.

Go for it guys, although I wouldn't suggest for one minute you make a habit of parking there.

1. Quite a lot of the "original" CSF from back in the 80's were professional, intelligent people. Thugs!,

well maybe at times, but other than match days, normal people. If you weren't there, or you aint

old enough to remember, then please don't comment on something you'll never understand

2. Aldi's policy of trying to fleece people using their car park when the store isn't even open is just

daylight robbery. It wasn't as if we were causing them any loss of business on New Years Day now

was it? On top of that, as I said (for those with the intelligence to actually read the whole thing), the

3. People park outside my house when I'm not there - but I don't get all arsey and try to charge them

for it. For all you self righteous gits (who obviously have never done anything even bordering on

"wrong" in your entire life) shut up and get a life. We used Aldi so we didn't have to park outside

the homes of local residents, or otherwise park like pr*cks on corners etc. I bet some of you did!!

CSF 1983

Nice one

CSF 1983

A very helpful, coherent post. So not all of the CSF are thick chavs then.

I think from the above that they are only "thick chavs" on match days which is OK, obviously.

I was there, with my Fila roll neck, Lyle & Scott sweater, bleached Lee jeans and buckskin Kappa trainers :shocking:

If you are that sensitive perhaps registering with CSF in your username was a bit silly?

CSF 1983

Now correct me if I am wrong, but you do not own the land outside your house...

Aldi do own their car park, and the car parking company do have costs involved to get the parking fine onto your car - this can involve the cost of staffing, signage, postage etc...

Not trying to argue against you, but this was put against me by the parking company when I parked on a side street of my own road with Charlton playing at home. I just paid the £40 and got on with it.

Good luck if you choose to fight it though.

Archived