IGNORED

Just Curious....

Steve Watts

One thing that irks me on this forum, and

partially because i've no idea why people do it.

Why do some people break up their typing with a

line return or a double line return like this to

make the lines shorter? We have a perfectly

good word wrap and I just can't work out a

reason why.... Anyone care to shed any light

on this strange phenomenon?!?

I tend to break paragraphs irregularly (i.e. when not changing subject etc) on the forum because when you type mass blocks of text they don't get read.

I always make a vague effort with punctuation grammar and spelling too, but then i do that on emails, msn and texts too!

No idea why they do the above though!

My posts usually aren't long enough to justify splitting them in any way at all but I get annoyed when people split it up into a bunch of lines when it really doesn't need to be split up. I mean, where did these people go to school? I spell correctly (most of the time) and even in text I spell works how they should be rather than shortened "text speak". Would rather people just typed normally like this and left it at that. Another annoyed thing is when people change the font, font size or colour... don't see the point in that either.

That is something I've noticed too, not sure why it should be so though. For my part I tend to write mine up in Word first to be able to spell check the entry and correct any gramatical errors or syntax as it annoys the hell out of me.

What does irritate me more than short word wrapping is the use of there for their and to for too etc.! - Oh, and text-speak, bleedin' mobiles!

Bloody illiterate the lot of em! :farmer: (from someone born in Ashton!)

I twitch at:

"loose" instead of "lose"

"should of" / "could of" instead of "should have" / "could have"

"there" instead of "their"

Language is however a form of communciation; and as I understand their meaning it's working. I can see "could of" becoming acceptable usage.

I do though stumble over exclusively lower-case unpuctuated text that I have to read twice in order to understand the intended meaning. ashtonyate take a bow.

Personally, I always try to write correct English, simply because I think you have to "use it or lose it", as the expression goes.

I concur old chap, marvelous. Our Uncle Roger would be chuffed as punch.

I just like, yer know, try an like make it so people can read it like.

Isn't all this just a bit snobbish? Some people are not as well educated as others, some people struggle with spelling, punctuation & grammar & some people might just prefer text talk etc. Doesn't make what they are saying any less valid.

I don't think my original question was snobbish - that literally is just something that confuses me and i didn't know if there was a reason behind it - but the punctuation/spelling side of it may well be so to a degree....

However, the text talk angle I'm sorry isn't anything to do with snobbery, it's to do with laziness. No-one is taught text talk in school....at least it's not on any curriculum i've seen! Therefore, if someone wants to make a contribution to a forum then i think it's only right that they at least TRY and type it out properly rather than use text talk that many have to work out what is being said....

I often bypass posts with text talk in, just because if someone is too lazy to type out properly what they want to say (regardless of spelling mistakes) then i can't be arsed to go through the effort of translating it! May not make their comment less valid, but it certainly makes the post less appealing to many and therefore increases the chance of it just being disregarded - valid or not!

Archived