IGNORED

Why Doesn't Bristol Produce Good Footballers?

Southport Red

I was just wondering why so few Bristol-born players make it to the top level.

Scousers seem be very abundant in the Prem** but who was the last Bristol born player to make a real impact? To play for England?

In recent times, players in the top flight (that I can think off from the top of my head, absolutely no research done here)

LIVERPOOL BORN

Gerrard, Carragher, Rooney, Nolan, Barton (Spit, cough), Fowler, McNamamanamanaman, S.Wright, Nugent

MANCHESTER BORN

Neville's, Scholes, Jagielka, Brown, Butt,

GEORDIE's

Shearer, Beardsley, Waddle, Carrick

BRISTOL BORN

Stewart,

** I realise that the Prem has hardly any ENGLISH players in it, much less Scousers, but you get my point?

I was just wondering why so few Bristol-born players make it to the top level.

Scousers seem be very abundant in the Prem** but who was the last Bristol born player to make a real impact? To play for England?

In recent times, players in the top flight (that I can think off from the top of my head, absolutely no research done here)

LIVERPOOL BORN

Gerrard, Carragher, Rooney, Nolan, Barton (Spit, cough), Fowler, McNamamanamanaman, S.Wright, Nugent

MANCHESTER BORN

Neville's, Scholes, Jagielka, Brown, Butt,

GEORDIE's

Shearer, Beardsley, Waddle, Carrick

BRISTOL BORN

Stewart,

** I realise that the Prem has hardly any ENGLISH players in it, much less Scousers, but you get my point?

Long haired defender for Newcastle in Keegans first reign was from Bristol (Darren Peacock??)

Perhaps not enough scouts visit the downs :whistle2:

I was about to post a snappy reply, then I remembered that article about Basso, when he was clubless playing on the Downs with his wife taking pens against him (or something like that - attention to detail never was a strength of mine) and people on here have been trying to peddle a "Basso for Chelsea" (I know - see the earlier comments about attention to detail) story so perhaps we should station an army of scouts up there - just in case

How about this chap...

Charles Wreford-Brown

Do you think it's harder for talented youngsters now because of our countries drinking culture and the ridiculous amount of money they are paid or what not and whether it doesn't make a difference, only my great great uncle never drank and celebrated winning the FA Cup by downing Lemonade, :surrender: .

Guest mesa boogie
Do you think it's harder for talented youngsters now because of our countries drinking culture and the ridiculous amount of money they are paid or what not and whether it doesn't make a difference, only my great great uncle never drank and celebrated winning the FA Cup by downing Lemonade, :surrender: .

If I had the chance to ever play for Rovers or for any team for that matter I'd cherrish it. I'd realise that the shirt means something to someone no matter if it's Manchester United or Mangotsfield United. I wouldn't be able to say if I'd stay off the booze full stop but I certainly wouldn't let it effect my game and if I was to win the FA Cup there wouldn't be a can of Natch left in the country.

If I had the chance to ever play for Rovers or for any team for that matter I'd cherrish it. I'd realise that the shirt means something to someone no matter if it's Manchester United or Mangotsfield United. I wouldn't be able to say if I'd stay off the booze full stop but I certainly wouldn't let it effect my game and if I was to win the FA Cup there wouldn't be a can of Natch left in the country.

Lewis Hogg, Simon Bryant, Tommy Doherty

All players who COULD have been fantastic.

I'd like the FA to fully support the Youth Academies in England and fund them proportionately on the number of English childen that are in the academy - so the clubs like Arsenal and Man Utd who have a number of foreign youths on their books get less than an academy who is fully loaded with English talent - I find it stange that our academy has two foreign nationals in our academy (aussie and German??) - if as the FA says it has £1billion revenue in the same length of contract as our new England manager then surely they could do more bringing up local talent at local clubs throughout England.

Guest mesa boogie
Danny Coles

Hopefully Danny is a bit older and wiser now. He's starting to get his feet under the table at the Mem and was very impressive against Fulham.

Archived